Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

any info for work.........

Started by mickiejr1815, March 09, 2008, 10:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickiejr1815

I am looking for any information on regarding transgender and transsexuallism on this site for work. I have changed my name at work as it was causing me problems with another employee but a few of the chauvenistic men I tend to be so pleasantly emplyed with refuse to respect me and call me by it, and I'm tired of it. As it seems now, the only way I figure I can get them to respect my decision is to finally come out at work, but like all the rest of us, I want to go into the meeting with my boss fully prepared and have all the necessary documentation that they need to be properly informed on how to deal with my uniquely personal situation. Anyone who knows anything please, please, please, I beg of you send me PM's of all useful info, links, free downloads, etc.

Tons of Thanks in advance,
Mickie
  •  

Kate Thomas

Hi Mickie
I dont get by the FAQ page very often it seems.

None the less here are a few workplace links that may be of help.

Susan's Main Page/Coming Out/Workplace
All sorts of things are on the Main Page don't be fooled there are over 5000 Transgendered related links there.

Gender, Identity, and New Developments in Employment Law
A resource for attorneys and advocates working to create discrimination-free workplaces for transgender employees. A joint publication of the
The Legal Aid Society, Employment Law Center, and the National Center for Lesbian Rights.

Transgender Employment Links
A website tracking links to information about transitioning on the job and other issues transsexual and transgendered workers and their employers may face, representing the transsexual worker's point of view, and offering advice from professionals. Several pages of legal resources, from both the United States and Europe, are listed. Also included are sites that provide mail order service for relevant books.

Transgender at Work
The Transgender at Work (TAW) project is a focal point for addressing workplace issues for the transgendered. TAW provides resources for innovative employers who want to set their company employment policies to help their transgendered employees to be at their most productive, without spending energy hiding an important part of themselves and pretending to be something they are not.
"But who is that on the other side of you?"
T.S. Eliot
  •  

Kate

In addition to the educational info (which my employers pretty much ignored), I used the "Carry Letter" from my therapist to give myself some medical backing. It described my GID diagnosis, that I was under her care as well as a medical doctor, that I was to be treated as a female, that I was on HRT and intended to transition fully, etc.

I also wrote a short summary letter describing my intentions (to transition and live as a female, as Kate), rough timeline (HRT changes to expect, name change hearing, SRS, etc.) and list of my doctors (therapist, medical doctor administering HRT and laser doctor).

I wanted to make absolutely sure they understood how serious I was. In the end, they really only needed to know what I was doing and when, and they came up with their own plan on how best to integrate it all within the company's interests that was fair to everyone.

I'm not sure I understand where you said you changed your name at work... but haven't come out at work? Management should be the one changing your name, IMHO, and they should inform and insist that your cooworkers respect the change.

~Kate~
  •  

mickiejr1815

i'm talking with a therapist, since it's over the phone i'm not sure what they will be willing to do for me, if anything for letters, and such. unfortunately, i can't change my name on paperwork until it's legally changed, the lady at the probate court was actually quite nice about it. i'm estimating it about $135 total plus taxes of course. the newspaper i have to publish it in is expensive for anything. for the most part tho, they are supporting me in my transition and talking to people to make sure i'm referred to properly. and most of the women have been quite sympathetic. i think my store manager finds the whole situation quite amusing, but is still sympathetic and helpful as much as he can. they didn't ask for a timeline but i told him if they needed anything, just to ask and i would do my best to get it. and yes Kate i'm now out at work. it's said the younger guys i work with seem to see it as a problem and the older ones don't really care, just as long as i am happy.

Mickie
The New Warrior Princess
  •  

April221

In regards to legal name changes; all states are different. By putting "legal name change procedure_____" , into your computer search engine, you'll find out what the requirements are for your state, as well as any relevant forms, for a fee. Sometimes there will be a separate requirement for the birth certificate. In New York, I believe that I will need proof of SRS in order to change my birth certificate, but not for all other paperwork.

On the job, many people knew me as April. I came out to some other people before I retired, and they had known that I was TS all along. If I were to have stayed at the job and not retired, I would have prepared a letter explaining that I have GID, explained what that means, explain what transitioning means and that I will appear different. This letter would have been posted for all to see, while I would have taken a few days off. When I would have returned, everyone would have expected me to return as April, not as April hiding behind a male persona.
  •