Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

How Long Is That Train ...? The Pervasiveness of Gender

Started by NicholeW., March 19, 2008, 02:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicholeW.

How long is that train that you're trying to stop?

I like the way Kate uses her fears and obsessions to spin off topics around here. Her latest ( https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,30202.0.html ) got me to thinking about gender-variance, socio-cultural change and what the hope for the future of the intersection of those two things might look like.

I know that many of us have a hope, perhaps even a conviction, that we are approaching a time when to 'change' one's gender, live into it, do away with yours and everyone else's, and also do away with any of the distinctions that are so prevalent today in our gendered-lives will be the norm, not the exception.

What might be a realistic appraisal of how that will go and where. Are there clues about the possibilities of change, revolution and evolution that we can discern through what we see and experience right now?

I think there may well be.

Some might point to that 49 square-mile bastion of forward thinking, America's City on Some Hills, San Francisco, and report the prognosis looks very good. Others might live in a 49 square-mile colony of fundamentalist, evangelical Christians and see a scene that doesn't look quite so hopeful. I get the feeling that most of us live somewhere that can be characterized pretty well as being between those poles.

I think maybe the best indicator of how much change and in what direction may well come from our own experiences, our own inclinations.

TSes, Androgynes and CDs, as well as people who are openly lesbian, queer and gay, like to think of ourselves as at the 'cutting edge' of that change. So, how do we do? What do we do and why? Anyone "scared to death" or ambivalent about how they live? Seem to be.

I am beginning to wonder if we are going to have as much change as some of us think or have thought. Why? I look at my own life and the lives of other trans-folk. How long has it taken us to get comfortable with our own changes? How long did it take to embark on the journey toward change?

How many losses, in terms of other human beings have we had while making the changes we have made? How many others would you feel are possible? How much paranoia do you feel as you walk, talk, go about your day?

Some of us may well answer none, or at least very little. Others may answer that they are terrified, or at one of the degrees between terrified and no fear at all.

How would you like to be seen in future? As gender-variant? As a 'target' gender/sex? Why? How many men and women among us want other people to know that we 'have had sex-changes.' Is the *-asterisk a comfortable addition to your gender? Or lack of it?

That last, for me, is not at all. I didn't transition to be a *woman, or woman*. Nor do I have large plans for being that in the future. I have the sneaking suspicion that I am not alone in that respect.

So, how do we react and act on our own gender-variance, gender-congruity? Do we expect others to become as educated, comfortable and accepting as we are ourselves? And if we do, what does that bode for the state of the country or world in fifty years?

I simply think that as much as we wish and strive for changes that we also need to cast a fairly jaundiced eye toward some of our more hopeful hopes. SF has already reached a comfort-level to which Topeka and Pendleton, WA may not ever achieve.

These thoughts are not necessarily going to enter the world and become true. But, just think about this. At  80 mph how long does it require for a fully-loaded train to brake to a stop? How long does it require to then turn that entire train around and head it back in a different direction after it's stopped?

I believe there is hope for the future. Lots of hope. I just am not anticipating a sea-change within the next two or three generations.

*sigh*

Nichole
  •  

Constance

I've never really thought that being an androgyne made me on the 'cutting edge' of any process of change.

Currently, I'm not "scared to death" of how I live. Ambivalent? Maybe. I know that in certain parts of the county, state, country, and world I'll be safer than in others. For right now, I seem to be in one of the safer places.

Is change coming? I certainly hope so. Can I be an instrument of that change? I'd like to be; but I'm more afraid of hurting the cause in general than I am of just living my life.

Both of my kids seems to be perfectly happy with their gender identities, identities that seem to be congruous with their biological sexes. So, they don't seem to have much to fear in living their lives. Should they have children and should those children have issues with the bodies into which they were born, I'd hope that the world is kinder to them than it seems to be to me, my contemporaries, and my forbears.

lady amarant

I agree with you to an extent as far as things not changing within the space of a generation, but things can change remarkably quickly. As bad as things are at times in South Africa, there is also a lot of hope. Most white South Africans accept that they were idiots during apartheid, fooled by fear of the "Swart Gevaar" (The Black Danger) and scare stories of communism and the like. There are of course the holdouts who still run around in their khaki uniforms, fly the old South African flag and think all black people are animals, or those who think that there is no such thing as a white South African, but they are few and far between. Meanwhile, having the government force integration in all the schools about 10 years ago has seen a remarkable shift in the younger populace, with a large proportion of kids totally colour blind, which is glorious, considering their parents would gladly have shot each other twenty years ago.

Things can change, and quickly, but it takes will.

How exactly that applies to the situation of gender and sexual preference variant people, I don't know. I do think that starting at school level like what's happening in California is a good thing. As people keep on saying around here, people are for the most part good. They attack what they fear, but once it becomes familiar and they see it really isn't a threat, they can be remarkably accepting. One can only hope that that will prevail against the fringe of hate and fear, from both sides, that would see us all killing each other instead.

To answer your question: I am a woman. Not a *woman. I don't mind people knowing where I come from, provided that knowing doesn't change that understanding that I am, in fact a woman. I hope for a society where I will be freely able to talk about my past and still be fully accepted as woman, where androgyne and genderqueer will equally be valued for who they are and what they contribute to their fellow beings, not on how they choose to present or express their identity. That probably is still a long way off, but I do believe it to be achievable. We just need some towering pillars of inspiration, like SA had in Nelson Mandela and FW de Klerk, to kinda show us it can be done.

Hey, you want the job? ;)

~Simone
  •