News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Dentists too now?

Started by Annwyn, March 27, 2008, 08:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicholeW.

Quote from: Annwyn on March 27, 2008, 08:33:21 AM
"What're they for?"  "Complicated."  "I gotta know" "Feminizing hormones to become female(a lot more ums and uuughs than that)"
Well he just kinda looked at my mouth then and suddenly just wasn't saying much.  Drug the thingy across my gums and was like, "oh oops, sorry bout that mr, oh I mean miss."  And it happened 7 times.  Deliberately.  Friggin painful, jabbed it into my gum once really hard, that apron they put around me was covered in blood.  The nurse looked horrified.  I'm pretty sure I did too.

And this sort of thing isn't protected against in SC.

As others have said, the SOC is not the applicable guide here. The ethical guidelines of the Board of Dentistry would be.

I would also recommend pursuing it with them.

As for having to 'know' why you are on a particular medication. Well, if he didn't prescribe it he may well WANT to know why you're taking it. But, having to know? Hardly.

If he wanted to refuse service because of that he could, but he didn't need to know. He already knew as evidenced by his question about 'your wife.' He just 'needed' to be sure. Your transitional status has no bearing on your dentistry. If you are taking aspirin he would NEED to know that; they thin the blood and make clotting more difficult.

File a complaint and find a new dentist. This 'gud ole boy-o' is not working out.

I don't know that pursuing it would do any good for others. Very likely not, but just the hassle and the insurance rise might well do that man some good. And as for causing you unwanted attention. It wouldn't. Board matters are usually held in camera. Reporters would not generally be interested provided there's not some sexual harassment angle or the use and abuse of illegal drugs.

Pics would help the case. The dental tech is probably a no-go. I would expect she needs the work and may be unlikely to testify to the board in your favor. But, if she was 'horrified' at least looked it, she could testify to the board.

Good luck.

Nichole
  •  

Rachael

I had to reveal the meds last time i got a piercing... (near a major vein and posibly dangerous) a facial one...
they said what are they for? (needed to know incase of complications... and you SHOULD disclose them, you shouldnth ave to deal with an idiot....
the artist was fine with me.. just say what it is... a hormone inballence ;)
R >:D
  •  

NicholeW.

Quote from: Rachael on March 29, 2008, 10:29:46 AM
I had to reveal the meds last time i got a piercing... (near a major vein and posibly dangerous) a facial one...
they said what are they for? (needed to know incase of complications... and you SHOULD disclose them, you shouldnth ave to deal with an idiot....

It's not a matter of NOT revealing the meds. That Annwyn revealed the meds is absolutely good sense and the right thing to do. Revealing the 'why' is the difference. No one takes estradiol or progesterone for heart disease or some sort of clotting problem, etc. Nor for epilepsy or anything of the sort that might have a bearing on what meds the dentist might use.

He knew what the meds were. He knew or could look up whether or not he should take some precautionary measures. What they were used FOR was not relevant to his treating his patient. That, in the USA would fall under HIPPA, I believe.

N~
  •  

Rachael

quite... something he seems to ahve ignored...
  •  

Tanya1

Of course you should reveal them.
  •  

Pysgod

Quote from: Rachael on March 29, 2008, 10:29:46 AM

So where did you get this piercing....?
  •  

Rachael

eyebrow and tongue...
  •  

RebeccaFog

you had your tongue pinned to your eyebrow?     ???
  •  

Rachael

no silly... one bar in each ;)
  •  

RebeccaFog

That makes sense.  Kind of.  I'm a non-piercing kind of person.
  •  

Pysgod

•  

Tanya1

I think I'm going to get my ears pierced in 2 days. Mom will freak but I don't really care.
  •  

Rachael

ears? that takes me back :P
i have 4 in each ear atm :P 2 in the lobes which actually get something other than a stud. :P
i want a tiny gem on my nose methinks... its somewhat the fashion atm :D
  •  

lady amarant

Quote from: Rachael on March 31, 2008, 01:53:35 PM
ears? that takes me back :P
i have 4 in each ear atm :P 2 in the lobes which actually get something other than a stud. :P
i want a tiny gem on my nose methinks... its somewhat the fashion atm :D

Owowowowow! Too many holes!!!

I'm more of a tattoo kinda person myself.

~Simone,
       Living Canvas.
  •  

Sister Seagull

I hate to be a "me too" poster, but I just had to offer up one more voice of support for you to *please* take legal action or whatever action you can against this "dentist".  Some people in this thread offered some terrific suggestions for ways to handle this.  We need to send a message that we are sick and tired of being treated as inferiors and targets for others' abuse.  Every voice counts.
  •  

tekla

I'm still down with the fact that dentists, as prescribing doctors, and often prescribing heavy duty pain killers, and antibiotics - have a right to know what other drugs you are on before they write that script.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Rachael

drugs yes, know why? no.
  •  

Kt

Quote from: tekla on April 10, 2008, 01:21:09 AM
I'm still down with the fact that dentists, as prescribing doctors, and often prescribing heavy duty pain killers, and antibiotics - have a right to know what other drugs you are on before they write that script.
From what I've heard of the story the OP was not on, or prescribed any painkillers, or on insufficient painkillers.

Sure it's a good idea to tell him, but him needing to know why is BS.
  •  

RebeccaFog

Quote from: tekla on April 10, 2008, 01:21:09 AM
The issue is how this dentist may have abused the gums out of meanness.
  •  

Annwyn

Lol.  This dentist==going down.

Former Marine.  I looked him up in the CVS database and saw he was on tricare.

All it took was calling them up and finding out who I could talk to to report him abusing the uniform code, which he still has to follow, and filed a report.  Apparently it wasn't the first one either.
  •