Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

SRS or GRS?

Started by Hypatia, April 01, 2008, 01:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you call it SRS (sex reassignment surgery) or GRS (genital reassignment surgery/gender reassignment surgery/genital reconstruction surgery)?

SRS
37 (52.9%)
GRS
22 (31.4%)
something else (discuss)
11 (15.7%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Hypatia

Quote from: TreeFlower on April 02, 2008, 12:27:18 PM
I like Gender Confirmation Surgery, GCS.

We need a new poll with all the options, SRS, GRS, GCS, etc.
Well, if anyone wants to start that poll, they're welcome to go ahead. Personally, I had my choices narrowed down to the two most frequently used terms. My purpose is to be intelligible to the maximum number of people when I talk about it. Not everyone in the big wide world is as well aquainted with the subject and its terminology as we are.

Posted on: April 03, 2008, 12:22:18 AM
Quote from: Natasha on April 02, 2008, 02:51:22 PM
sex affirmation surgery.  why?  & the term applies to mtf's and ftm's.  how about that? ;)

This term is preferable to the terms Sexual Reassignment Surgery (SRS) or Gender Reassignment Surgery (GRS). SAS is the most precise medically.
I can't see how that would convey any medical meaning at all, let alone being more precise. "Sex Affirmation" sounds to me like saying "yes" to sex. "Yes, having sex is a good thing, you have a right to feel good about it." More self-esteemy than medical, really.
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

gina

I went with GPS......wait wrong poll..... :eusa_dance: :icon_biggrin:
  •  

LynnER

Genital Reconstructive Surgery

There correcting a birth defect... DUH...

sex reasignment surgery, gender reasignment surgery...  those terms are the perfect way for insurance to get OUT of paying for them... and the perfect way for society to shun us for something so trivial...

You want to change your sex... your getting a sex change?  Nope... Im not changing anything, Im just having some minor corrections done thanks... Oh, and you should have that mole/birthmark looked at... maby an ear or nose... they look like factory defects... you might want to get those fixed heheheeh
  •  

Lisbeth

Can I change my vote?  Some doctors are starting to use Gender Confirmation Surgery, and I like that term.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Sandy

Quote from: Lisbeth on May 16, 2008, 03:12:40 PM
Can I change my vote?  Some doctors are starting to use Gender Confirmation Surgery, and I like that term.

That is how Dr. Christine refers to it and I do like the term.  Because it confirms what I already know.

I have used SRS in the past because not everyone was familiar with GCS but I think that I'll refer to it as GCS from now on.

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Melissa

I use SRS.  Honestly, I don't care what it's called.  It's still the same surgery.
  •  

gina

SRS is also my choice...was just fooling around on my previous post... :icon_chick:
  •  

Hypatia

Quote from: Lisbeth on May 16, 2008, 03:12:40 PM
I would set it so you could change votes... except I don't know how to do that.
eventually you'll find

--Indigo Girls
  •  

Ell

Quote from: Hypatia on April 01, 2008, 01:04:45 PM
I'm wondering if there is any consensus forming on which term to use for it.

there is no consensus forming, and no quorum. and they are re-naming it, anyway, to nip and tuck.

-Ell
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: ell on May 16, 2008, 09:00:23 PM
Quote from: Hypatia on April 01, 2008, 01:04:45 PM
I'm wondering if there is any consensus forming on which term to use for it.
there is no consensus forming, and no quorum. and they are re-naming it, anyway, to nip and tuck.

-Ell

Oo! *Lisbeth gets out her sewing box*  I know how to do Nip And Tuck (NAT)!  Any volunteers?
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

•  

Hypatia

So far it's still a majority for SRS, which is what I've always called it, and I'll go on calling it that.
eventually you'll find

--Indigo Girls
  •  

Sandy

Quote from: Lisbeth on May 17, 2008, 10:05:22 AM
Oo! *Lisbeth gets out her sewing box*  I know how to do Nip And Tuck (NAT)!  Any volunteers?

LIS!  You could have saved me a whole bunch of money!!!!  Why didn't you say something before!?!?!?!

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Valentina

I don't care how peeps call it. I just want to have it done.  Corrective surgery rings true to me!
  •  

Butterfly

Quote from: Valentina on May 18, 2008, 12:03:41 AM
I don't care how peeps call it. I just want to have it done.  Corrective surgery rings true to me!

I relate to your ordeal Valentina ~smile~ It's quite understandable.  I like your definition of it too.  I would like to call it Genital reshapement surgery to justify the GRS acronym.  "reshapement"  is that even a word? ~laugh~
  •  

tylerMTF

SRS for two reasons:

1: I only heard it called GRS about 2 days ago

2: There is an important distinction to be made between sex and gender (at least in my mind). Sex is the bodily appearance where gender is the state of mind. Getting GRS would imply (to me anyway) that you are transitioning from a normal mind to a transient mind.
  •  

Ell

when i come home after a long day at work, i could go for an ice-cold SRS. i only use GPS in my car.
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: ell on July 01, 2008, 12:48:47 AM
when i come home after a long day at work, i could go for an ice-cold SRS. i only use GPS in my car.

I used to have a car with SRS in it.  Safety Restrant System, an air bag.
--Julia Serano

•  

Natasha

Quote from: ell on July 01, 2008, 12:48:47 AM

hahahaha
  •  

Janet_Girl

Quote from: Kassandra on April 01, 2008, 04:43:42 PM
I have started to refer to it as Gender Confirmation Surgery. GCS

Basically because my surgeon refers to it that way since that is in fact what it is.  I already know what gender I am, and the surgery now confirms it.

And while it is my preference, any of the other terms are acceptable to me.

-Sandy
I am changing my vote.  I Like Gender Confirmation Surgery, it is going to confirm my gender.
Thanks Sandy.

Janet
  •  

CynthiaAnn

I voted "other" and prefer the term GCS "Gender Confirmation Surgery".
  •