Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Memorial Day, Remembering the fallen.

Started by Sandi, May 29, 2006, 01:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandi

The following poem was written by Mary Frye in 1932. It had no title originally so the first line is commonly used.

DO NOT STAND AT MY GRAVE AND WEEP

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

~Mary Frye (1932)~

My source for Mary Frye's famous inspirational poem is here. This public domain verse is presented in various versions with the following history.

Mary Elizabeth Frye (1905-2004) was a housewife from Baltimore USA, when a visiting friend's mother died, and this prompted Mary Frye to compose the verse, which she said was her first real attempt to write poetry. The friend was a young German Jewish girl called Margaret Schwarzkopf, who felt unable to visit her dying mother in Germany due to the anti-Semitic feeling at home. This led to Margaret Scwarzkopf's comment to Mary Frye, according to the apparent history of this, that she had been denied the chance to 'stand by her mother's grave and shed a tear'. This seemingly was the inspirational prompt for Mary Fry to write the verse, which has for decades now touched and comforted many thousands of people, especially at times of loss and bereavement.

Thank you, all who are serving and have served.

God bless America.
  •