Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Any tips for African American hair?

Started by trapthavok, July 05, 2008, 05:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapthavok

I've heard cutting it short makes it far harder to maintain (I was born a female) like you have to flat iron it and such... Right now my hair is brushing my shoulders, long enough for me to ponytail it til I know what I want but I want to get it cut.

I've had relaxers since I was 12 (am now 20) so I don't remember how curly it gets when its natural. I don't remember much before age 11. I know this might be a shot in the dark, but I want to cut my hair boyish short so I don't have to do much to it, maybe gel it til the relaxer I got 2 weeks ago wears off. Anyone know how to keep it up after that? The shortest I was thinking was somewhere between a quarter of an inch and half an inch from my scalp.
  •  

Dennis

No personal experience there, but perhaps a barber who caters to a lot of African American clients might be able to help? There are some websites out there, but on a quick scan of them, I didn't find anything all that useful.

Dennis
  •  

trapthavok

Thanks Dennis. I have a hair stylist now but she only does female hair... I need someone who knows a little about both I guess. I'll look into it.
  •  

Aiden

Hmm don't know how hard is for African American hair to maintain when extra short unfrtunantly.  I know mine, I usually don't even need to bother with it in morning unless it's grown out quite a bit where starts to look messy.  But dono, don;t know much about that hair type, sorry.
Every day we pass people, do we see them or the mask they wear?
If you live under a mask long enough, does it eventually break or wear down?  Does it become part you?  Maybe alone, they are truly themselves?  Or maybe they have forgotten or buried themselves so long, they forget they are not a mask?
  •  

Elwood

I know if I was African American, I'd probably go for dreads.  :P But they are really hard to get started and to maintain, so I hear.
  •  

trapthavok

Quote from: Elwood on July 29, 2008, 01:37:38 PM
I know if I was African American, I'd probably go for dreads.  :P But they are really hard to get started and to maintain, so I hear.

EGH

I've had long hair long enough, I want it short. Dreads = long :P

Plus my hair stylist has told me some nasty stuff about dreads...I have no idea how to wash them but apparently if you don't, you can get a bad case of lice and not even know it.
  •  

Aiden

I don't know how short you prefere but found some images of hair cuts that might work, let you be jusdge on how good think will look on you

If you live under a mask long enough, does it eventually break or wear down?  Does it become part you?  Maybe alone, they are truly themselves?  Or maybe they have forgotten or buried themselves so long, they forget they are not a mask?
  •  

trapthavok

Quote from: Aiden on July 30, 2008, 10:01:15 AM
I don't know how short you prefere but found some images of hair cuts that might work, let you be jusdge on how good think will look on you

OH MAN

I love the 1st and 3rd picture, THANKS!

That'll be my 2nd hair cut, when my hair starts looking more like theirs (and less like an AA woman's straightened)

Preciate it bro!
  •  

Aiden

Oops, didn;t realize how big last picture was lol

But glade like it :)
  •  

Elwood

Quote from: trapthavok on July 30, 2008, 09:27:04 AM
Quote from: Elwood on July 29, 2008, 01:37:38 PM

EGH

I've had long hair long enough, I want it short. Dreads = long :P

Plus my hair stylist has told me some nasty stuff about dreads...I have no idea how to wash them but apparently if you don't, you can get a bad case of lice and not even know it.
Yeah, but dreads are freaking hot. Lol.

Dreads are quite hard to take care of. I'm just glad I'm a happy little white boy, lol. I don't have to think. The part that sucks about being white is that my skin is pretty fugly. Haha.
  •