Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Murder in Northern Colorado

Started by Adrien, July 31, 2008, 11:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrien

On Thursday, July 17, Angie Zapata, an 18-year old Latina transwoman was murdered in her home in Greeley , CO . She suffered two severe fractures in her skull. Her family believes that she was murdered by her boyfriend or members of her boyfriendʼs gang because of her gender identity.

The Greeley Tribune, a local newspaper reporting on this case, continues to use an incorrect name and pronouns for Angie. Her family has been very supportive of her and are both angry and upset at this lack of accuracy and sensitivity in reporting. Please let the Greeley Tribune know that this is not acceptable and their lack of appropriate reporting is contributing to an environment where violence against transgender people is continuing. Contact information for the newspaper, editor and reporter is below.

The perpetrator has stolen Angieʼs sisterʼs car, a very dark forest green 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser with the Colorado license plate number 441ORN. There is a hubcap missing on the front passenger-side tire and there is paint missing on the front bumper on the driver-side, under the headlight. Anyone with information about the car is asked to call the Greeley police through the communications center, 970-350-9600. In addition, Angieʼs cell phone and wallet were also stolen.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

An investigation into the death of Justin Zapata, 18, of Greeley last week has taken a different step, as the victim is now known to go by the name of Angie Zapata and was living as a woman.

Family members were unavailable for comment, but the transgender community is speaking out about the death of Zapata, who apparently was beaten to death.

A search warrant for Zapata's apartment in the 2000 block of 4th Street indicates the victim suffered fatal wounds to the head and face.

Police are still looking for Zapata's car, a green 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser, with the Colorado license plate number of 441ORN.

Police did not say if Zapata's gender identity played a part in the homicide.

Zapata's gender identity has caused problems for her in the past, according to Kelly Costello, director of Victim Services for the Colorado Anti-Violence Program. "But her family had been very supportive of her and were angry she had been called a man in past (news) stories."

Zapata's family was unavailable to confirm Costello's statement.

In a press release quoted Tuesday on the TransGriot Web site, Kelly asked readers to contact The Tribune to complain about Zapata first being reported as a male. The newspaper has received about a dozen e-mails of complaints.

The Greeley police and the Weld County Coroner's Office identify Zapata as a male.

Her obituary, however, shows the family accepted her as a woman.

A statewide search of criminal records show Zapata was never arrested for a crime but had received a few traffic citations. She appeared three times in Weld County Court, all under the name Justin Zapata, but twice identified as a male and once as a female.

The murder of transgenders has happened before, Kelly said, and it could be classified as a hate crime.

Her body was found Thursday in the apartment, according to the warrant. After family members were unable to reach her by telephone, her sister went to the house and got a key from the landlord. She found Zapata lying on the living room floor, covered by a blanket. She was already dead.

These are a few articles from a Colorado newpaper. My friend forwarded them to me. Personally, I'm outraged, and also terrified.
There are a few other news articles about different subjects that my group from my GLSEN summer summit have sent me. Let me know if you're interested in hearing them.

What are your views on this?
  •