Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

I need help with microphone

Started by annajasmine, August 12, 2008, 05:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

annajasmine

I need help with a microphone. I have a labtec am-22 came with some Spanish software I got. Well when I record my voice it sounds like my voice is muffled and faint. This happens no matter what voice I use. I have the microphone on full volume but it doesn't have the boost option and I'm using Audacity. I'm using the microphone to practice my voice.

Thanks for any advise,
Anna
  •  

tekla

Well good mics are expensive for a reason.  but....

Try using it at about 80% volume, and experiment with the distance from the mic.  Some like you about six inches away, others, the good condensers, want you almost in them, or at least right on top of them.

Also, see if the program you are using has a 'gain' that can be adjusted in the input.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

annajasmine

That help a little but now it sound like a bad cell connection a bit choppy and still muffled. It's probably just the way I talk or I might need a new mic. Anyways what is a good mic and is there one under $20?

Thanks
Anna
  •  

tekla

Shure makes the industry standard vocal mikes, but they all need a pre-amp to work I think, the SM57 or SM58 are the most frequently used, but they are not designed to run though a computer, but through a music system.

This page might help you get some information you need.

http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/faciliti/facilities/recording/microphones.html
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Imadique

Well if you're wanting to spend less that $20 I think you can forget about a Shure...

You should be able to get a P.C. mic for around $20 that will be perfectly capable of recording a clear vocal, just play with all the variables like Tekla said. I used to record guitar and vocal demo's with a $20 P.C. mic into an onboard soundcard - it's doable.

Get the signal as loud as you can without it clipping (if you have an input meter it's hitting the top red bit) and distorting - about -6dB is a good point to aim for when recording music, you could probably go higher for spoken word.

Distance is the biggest variable, closer to the mic will give you more bass and volume and further gets more treble but less volume. Also make sure you are speaking directly into the recording field (directly in front if it's just a p.c. mic). Sounds obvious but considering how many people like to sing into the side of their mics or hold them in such a way that their hand covers half the recording field it's worth mentioning...

I've never  used Audacity but most music recording software will come with plugins. If you can't solve your problems with changes to your recording technique (or a new mic) look for a
gain boosting plugin. If it has one called "Normalize" go with that as it will also compress the recording a bit (evens it out).

Further still you can then try EQ'ing your recording if it's still too muffled, although if your exercise here is to practise your voice messing with the tonal qualities with EQ may defeat your purpose.
  •  

Northern Jane

If it is a high impedance mic (which most high-end mics are) you WILL need a preamp because of the low level and high impedance - your PC input is low impedance (1000 ohms). I bought a little ROLLS mixer for about $50 that works nicely, has a headphone jack, and 5 inputs.
  •