Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

An Absolute Shock

Started by Jess, June 28, 2005, 02:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jess

Four or Five days ago I sat down and wrote what started out as a little note.  I wanted to let my step-mother, my father, my brother, and my wife know how I have felt these last 25 years and to let them know why I was gone.  I have heard that one of the worst things about suicides is that the people who care about you who are left behind want to know why.  I care very much about them and didn't want them to wonder why so I wrote down what was meant to be a quick explination.  Well. 6 and a half typed single spaced pages .... front and back... later, I felt that I had at least attempted to convey why.  I printed it and neatly folded each page and put it in my wallet.

*fast forward to last night.*

Last night I was feeling down, well, I guess thats an understatement. In truth I wanted to see them and tell them I loved them in case I came to a decision.  Anyway, after work I went to talk to my father and step mother, it had been about 5 months since I have seen them and they live about 15 miles from me.  They know I am in therapy for Depression. 

My father brought up the issue of suicide and told me his experience with it.  I told them that I had thought about it and that I would give them warning if I ever decided to, which was basically a lie.  My Dad was asking me about my therapy and how it was going, and I tried to answer him in short non-conversation tones, like, "It's fine" so as to not invite a response back so he would change the subject!

He didn't and neither did my step mother.  They kept on and on asking why I was depressed, what they could do, what I needed, how they could help, they wouldn't drop it.

I finally told them I did not want to talk about it.  Then my father asked me what my exact diagnosis was, and I told him "Severe Chronic Depression."

My father has had some experience with depression, he had thyroid cancer and was medically discharged from the Air Force after 21 years and he had a difficult time with that.

He said, chronic?  That means it's been going on for awhile?  Whats been going on?

I tried to tell him again that I didn't want to talk about it.

He and my step mother didn't say a word for about 5 minutes, they just looked at me.  5 minutes feels like forever in an uncomfortable conversation with two people you care a lot about just staring at you.  I told them the only thing I could, you wouldn't understand, and it doesn't really matter.

It was a short time thereafter that I started crying and couldn't stop.  I have cried more in these past two weeks than I have ever cried in my life.  I couldn't stop.  I told them that I wanted to die because I couldn't live life anymore.  They wanted to know why, I don't know how, but I managed to gather the courage to give them the note.

Let me take a moment to tell you a little about my father.  He is a 21 year veteran of the U.S. Air Force, he has more guns than most gun stores, and he loves to fish.  To give you some idea, he wants to go Kayak (an 8 foot plastic boat) fishing for Sharks in the Gulf of Mexico so he can 'catch a ride!!!'  He is an Alabama Native, Crazy as Hell, and ... well... at the risk of stereotyping, he fits the classic defintion of 'A Rough Redneck' except for the truck.  My Father, for the most part, terrifies me because of the way I feel.

My father read it and I cried.  He read it again, by that time I had stopped crying and was just watching him.  For a sign, anything, he just sat there, reading it, nodding at some places, smiling at others, frowning at others.

Then he handed it to my step mother to read and looked at me and said:

When you were little, your first Christmas that you weren't crying and spitting up food, your mother took you to the store and while you were both away I set up the Christmas tree.  I turned out all the lights and waited for you and your mother on the porch. When you both came home I led you into the living room with all the lights off.  Then I turned on the Christmas tree, and you were ASTONISHED!  You walked up to the tree very carefully, pointed to a Christmas ball, turned to me and said, "Da?? Ball" ... You had my heart then, and that will never change.

Then he said that this problem can be dealt with, he is behind me 100%, and that he wishes that he would have recognized it a long time ago, and that I would have quit trying to pretend to be something that I was never meant to be.  He told me that suicide was just giving up because I wouldn't face my problem, and that in his belief, you reincarnate to learn lessons in life, and that my next life would be just like this one, but even harder until I got it right and faced it.  He smiled, and told me that he didn't raise me to give up.

My step-mother was relieved to know that there was something that could be done.  They have been worried about me for the past 6 years when I started noticibly slipping into a depression.  She was just as supportive!

I wept like a baby!  We stayed up and talked about my options and what I could do until 2:30 in the morning.  I had to be at work at 8, but I didn't care.  It was amazing.

I am exhausted today, and emotionally drained, I am dead tired, but I am absolutely in shock!  It's all sort of a blur, but they know.  They still love me!!!

He even asked me what I thought my name should have been, I told him Jessica, and he said why Jessica?  I told him that I really wasn't sure, thats just what it has always been when I dream.  Then has asked about a middle name, and I said I didn't know.

He suggested Sarah (after my mother) as a middle name, which I think is fantastic!

Jessica

•  

Ellen

That story made me cry, Im happy you have such wonderfull people that care so  much about you , that gives all of us hope ... Ellen
  •  

stephanie_craxford

You are very fortunate to have two parents who obviously care for and love you very much.  After my own experiences with coming out, I've always said that people can suprise you, especially over things such as this.  Don't be afraid of the truth, as true friends and family will still be there for you afterwards, anyone else are just aquaintences.  Be true to yourself.  It took a huge amount of courage to come out to your parents and they are most likely the hardest to come out to.  Coming out is like relieving a huge burden that you have been carrying on your shoulders all this time.  The more it is shared the lesser the load.  I am so happy for you.

Keep us posted.
  •  

Dennis

Wow, I'm so glad he came through and saved your life :)

It really gives me faith in humanity when I hear stories like that.

Dennis
  •  

wajdi

This is Jess' dad.  All I can say is that I'm terribly, terribly sorry that we didn't know about this a long damn time ago.  We could have taken effective action to make Jess' life much happier and satisfying, and avoided all the years of misery.  And I STILL want to catch shark from a kayak.

wajdi
  •  

4years

Words can not describe how happy I am to see a parent come here with an open mind.
*curtsey*
  •  

wajdi

The only thing I can't abide is stupidity, which, unfortunately, is all too rampant in this country.

wajdi
  •  

beth

I am so very happy for you Jessica. You are truly blessed to have such loving parents. My parents died without ever knowing who i was.

Men like wajdi are real men, and I am glad there are a few in this world. Not because he wants to wrestle a shark, but because he has love and compassion in his heart. I didn't see many like him while i was undercover among them for all those years.  :icon_suspicious:

beth
  •  

Terri-Gene

Good Morning, afternoon, evening to you Jess. I loved the post, you talk.  You mentioned your Dad had some experience with suicide?  Wajdi?  Someone who could truely know the depths at low tide.  Your a fortunate daughter Jess.  Understanding of personal needs is an important need in a parent, and to many, nice folks that they are, simply can't understand deep needs.  You got fortunate,  Someone who can love you all that much and on top of that, actuall understand.

In the end though, it's the love that comes through.

Terri
  •  

Terri-Gene

"The only thing I can't abide is stupidity, which, unfortunately, is all too rampant in this country."

Hello Wajdi, Call me Terri, and keep smiling.  mmmm, we got rampant stupidity occuring in society?  We can get into things like that.  first though I'm not all sure I know what all "rampant" stupidity is vs. someone elses version.  To me it kind of like, well, taking a leak in Batmans Cape or something about on that kind of line, heck you never know, Theres a topic that ties right into the T world cause and effect trap.

Well Wajdi?  can you talk about rampant stupidity, discuss it?  and keep smiling?

Terri
  •  

wajdi

Stupidity?  Stupidity is a failure to learn through experiece.  As a career NCO in the Air Force, I saw it all too often in the kids I was tasked with training.  Making the same mistake over and over and over again (sorry for the redundancy).  Take a look at national and international policy as practiced at the highest levels of our (so-called) government.  I don't think I need to go into any specifics, as I really don't like to write books.  And my language would be such as is specifically banned from this forum.  Jess is my child, and my love cannot be measured.  Ok, so mistakes were made.  What we have to do now is recover from them.  When I was discharged from the Air Force after a bout of cancer, I was depressed, really depressed.  Didn't compare with how I felt when my wife (Jess' natural mother) died; the ONLY thing that kept me from joining her were my two Yorkie girls.  Anyone ever been mothered by two five pound dogs?  They almost ate their way through a wood door to get to me.  One of them, Pooh-Bear, recently died, but the other one, Christie, is curled up against my foot as I'm writing this.  I'm really glad that they kept me alive.  At the time, I figured that my kids were old enough that they could take care of themselves.  I was wrong, as I wouldn't be here to support Jess.  And, trust me folks, someone in this situation, as I'm sure you all know, NEEDS support.  Well, Jess is gonna get my support, to the fullest of my capabilities.  AND, despite her feelings to the contrary, she is NOT an ogre; but is gonna make a fine looking woman.  Has anyone mentioned low self-esteem on this forum?  Well, I suppose after feeling like a failure for 28 years, Jess is going to need a lot of building up in that area.  Can we say 'computer geek?'  Jess is the MOST OUTSTANDING 'computer geek' I've ever seen.  She can write code that nobody she works with can even read, much less understand.  Yeah, she's got a long, hard road ahead of her to reach her (recently realized) goals, but we're (my wife and I) are going to be right there with her.  We've got two kids still at home (males--aged 18 and 15) and we told them about the situation (with Jess' permission), and their primary concern about Jess moving back in with us was that she was going to tie up the bathroom.  Oh yeah, they felt a great deal of relief when we were discussing chores for when Jess moved in, and Jess said she would take over keeping the kitchen clean.  A GREAT deal of relief!!!  OH!!  Jess has expressed concern about shoulder width.  Well, she said that after hormone therapy, she would develop boobs roughly two cup sizes smaller than her mother.  Her mother had DD boobs, so I don't think anyone (male) is going to notice shoulders; her main problem is going to be getting people to look at her eyes, rather than somewhere a bit lower.  We are really looking forward to her moving back home with us, and I'm going shoe-shopping with her tomorrow evening.  And, yes, I'm going to try on shoes with her, it won't be the first time I've worn women's shoes.  My first pair were 4.5 inch spike heels (hells), with pointy toes, in black patent leather.  I almost broke my ass wearing them, and my toes were numb for two weeks.  That was for a costume party (Rocky Horror theme) so don't anybody get any wrong ideas about me, LOL.  AND, I know of two gun shops that have more firearms than I do, so there.

wajdi (Jess' dad)
  •  

Terri-Gene

Ok, I love that definition of stupidity.  Myself, I'm prone to a lot of stupid things, for a lot of reasons, but I've never been prone to the same mistake twice.

As to Jessica, well, it would be my guess she will come along fine and deal with cosmetic ideas about herself.

Right now, I'm right at time to go to work so haven't time to get into any thoughts, but I will certaintly respond more appropriately tonight when I get home.  I would love to exchange a little with you.  I get along exceptionally well with authority types and controlled environments.  I spent quite some years in paramilitary environments and though I have some deep problems with things I did out of disipline and responsibility, I miss the disipline it had on my life and at times I'm a little lost without it.

Looking forward to talking with you Wajdi, will be back tonight.

Terri
  •  

xagira

Hello all,
I am Jess' step-mother.  To have Jess state that I was relieved that there was a solution to her depression is an understatement.  I have been very concerned about her for a long time and wajdi and I have discussed this before with no idea how to help.  She (at that time) would not explain why she felt she would never be happy (all either of us ever wanted for any of our children, their happiness), why she felt she was just marking time till her death, why she cared not one wit that she had a physical illness that had the potential to kill her and she didn't mind, why she wanted to do things that are dangerous just for the heck of it with no apparent regard for those that love her.  When she came to us, even more depressed, talking about suicide as the only viable option (stressing this I might add) I was desperate to find out what on earth could possibly that bad.  We kept poking and prodding, and pushing and begging her to talk to us.  I am the type of person that believes there are always solutions, possibilities, viable options.  No, I am not a "goody-two-shoes Miss Sunshine and nothing is ever wrong" person.  I just believe that there are solutions.  Even if we have to go through a lot of pain and frustration to finally get there.  When she finally told us what the bottom line issue was, I was soooo relieved I wanted very badly to jump and scream "ARE YOU NUTS??   Don't you understand that there are options for you other than taking yourself out of our lives totally???"  But I stayed calm.  I didn't want to spook her.  But I did stress that there were options.  That we would totally, completely support her through all of it.  It took a while for her to finally understand just how much we meant it.  She thinks of her body pretty badly right now but there are great features that will translate wonderfully. Her eyes, hands and even her height.  There are some great fashions for taller women.  /sigh  I am short.   I think it will all work out great.  And the most important, she will finally be better equipped to enjoy life and not just "mark time till her death".  So, to all of you who have not come out to your family, keep in mind that there are always possibilities.  Jess was positive we would be disgusted and reject her but we love her and couldn't possibly do that.  While others may not react as we did, there is always that possibility.  I wish you all nothing but the best of happiness in your lives.  Whatever may come.

xagira
  •  

Terri-Gene

Hello again Wajdi and Xagira.  I love it when people can sit down in public and talk, you can hear so many wonderful things.

Wajdi, I liked your definition of "rampid" stupidity.  I was just fishing, but you surprised me.  The best possible answer to such a question as could be come up with.

Was sad to hear about your former problems.  I know how it is to just get where you got nowhere to go and nothing matters anymore, but then there is always, for me at least, that unrelenting urge to check around the corner just one more time to see if anything is there I hadn't noticed before that might rekindle the spark.  You found your spark.

What touches me most, and this to you too Xagira, is the love you have for your daughter, unconditional and whatever it takes.  A person can move any mountain knowing they possess that kind of love, but it is so rare, there are always so many things in the way of giving it.

As to Jess and her cosmetic concerns.  Physical aspects are important to just about all Transgenders at one time or another, especially in the beginning, its all to do with wanting to be actually seen and accepted as what you are at a glance.

As time goes on and the important things get done, the mind begins to change though.  It begins to accept itself and what it does and how it relates to others begins to become more important then how you look.  Other people may not see a woman at first glance, but they know one when they relate to her.

The circle of accepting friends will be small at first and the detractors will seem unending, but one by one the friends are made and in time you have enough of a circle to occupy your needs and the detractors begin to fade into the background.

Once true friends are made and accept you for what you are, they will be seeing you as they know you, not seeing you as you physically look.  They will see beauty or whatever else and it wouldn't matter if you had a wart on your nose or not.  Those who can not do this are not your true friends, they are the "good times" crowd, who will be there for the party but leave before clean up time.  These people can be important also, but they are not your inner circle who count for whats important in life.

As she begins to love life, her thirst for it will increase and the more she loves, the more beautiful she will become.

I just want to say that such people as you two, Wajdi and Xagira, are special and what most of the people here would wish for in parents of thier own.

The sad part for so many is......... that no matter how far they get, if you ain't got Love .... you ain't got nothing.  Love is the most important gift one can give and the most beautiful to receive.

Terri
  •  

4years

I am even happier to see *both* parents come here with open minds (=
*curtsies twice*
  •  

LostInTime

Jess-Congrats on taking a big step, a really big one.  Times will be tough, probably tougher than this but just hang in there as the pay off at the end makes it all worthwhile.

Wajdi--let me know when you feel like tackling that shark.  I would be on a bigger boat with my lever action .30-.30 quoting lines from Jaws.   ;D

Xagira--where do you see some of this wonderful fashions for tall women?  My recent trip to the stores yielded these ugly greens and yellow that I cannot imagine anyone wearing.  I am anxiously awaiting the fall fashion to arrive.

Great on how all of you have been able to come together and Jess, it looks like you have the beginning of a great support structure.

•  

Cassandra

Wow! I am writing this through my tears. Tears of joy for you Jess and your wonderful dad.
Excuse me I have to get a hanky.

Cassie
  •  

Denise01

Jess:

You are so very  fortunate to have such understanding and supportive parents,.
Please give each one of them a big hug for being so understanding, and I a sure that with their help you will come out on top.
I too had very supportive parents, however they were both gone before I  realized my need to dress, and I just hope that they would have been supportive as your folks are.
Every One here is pulling for you and good luck

Denise  Love
  •  

xagira

Hi lostintime,
My apologies for the delay in response.  It has been rather crazy around here the last few days and I hadn't checked the boards to see if there were questions for me.  And wajdi didn't let me know that there was anything (reaches over and smacks him  lol).  Oh well.  As to the fashions?  I guess I am thinking of things I see on TV.  The flow and drape of some of the clothes is very pretty but would look awful on me at 5'4".  I don't really know what style Jess is going to want to go with.  I love the look of long flowing dressy jackets but can't wear them.  They just don't look right on me.  But Jess has the height to wear them.   I let her try on some of my clothes but the height difference was really a problem (she's about 6 inches taller than I am).  I dress more in a classic style anyway.  Never have been into the high fashion thing. Except that I tend to like bright, rich colors.  Hmm  I know it sounds crazy but try connsignment shops.  They have items that you don't see everyday in every store.  You never know what you are going to find in them.  One time you may find absolutley nothing and then the next time you find a treasure trove of clothes.  I have found high end name brand items that are gorgeous and in like new condition for a fraction of the cost. I have difficulty with finding clothes that I really like anyway due to my weight which is way too much but even I can find things.  Just have to keep checking back with them. 

Sorry this isn't a lot of help.  :(   And again, my apologies for the delay in response.

Have a great night, hope your 4th celebrations were a blast!!
xagira
  •  

nicole_dianelle

Congrats on taking a big step you have amazing courage jessica.
You are so very  lucky to have such wonderful and understanding parents. mmm feeling a bit jealous but i can deal with it. ;D
i guess u can look it as...u been bless with good fortuen after spending many years in misery.
either way congrat agian. and live a happy life.
  •