Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

"We're . . . modern-day lepers"

Started by Shana A, October 23, 2008, 07:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

"We're . . . modern-day lepers"
By Electa Draper
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 10/22/2008 10:50:56 PM MDT

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_10788665

Elizabeth Bennett sits in her Denver church contemplating the elephant in the sanctuary that few polite Episcopalians want to mention.

Bennett grew up in the Episcopal church. She sang in the choir. She was married in one and baptized her five children there. Her mother's ashes are buried under a tree outside an Episcopal church in Massachusetts.

But being openly gay now in the Colorado diocese, she says, is like being given "half-a-loaf acceptance."

Gays are offered some sacraments but not others.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

luv2Bfem

Churches have a belief system that they are based on. I don't like being judged and made to feel like i'm going to hell because I was born with a birth-defect that gave me the wrong body but I also feel that churches have every right to live by the fundamental values that they were founded on. I don't want to force a church to accept me and many of my masculine features any more than I want to be forced to accept some of their beliefs. To me, its not acceptance if its being forced. I have felt messed up my entire life and I'm so tired of the struggle but I have seen a huge change in the last years. I'm not passable but I do every thing in make-up and heels and I am treated better than when I went out in mens clothing. People are kind and I believe the more I go out the more people will get used to me and accept "me".
  •  

The Bri Girl

OK, This seems like a fascinating kettle of worms.
     It would be wrong, of course, to assume all churches are equal in their treatment, or mistreatment of transfolk.  I mean, they can't even all agree on the tennants of thier Christianity.
     On one hand, I agree partly with luv2Bfem's point that churches ought to be free to make their own descisions re. how they relate to us.  But I cannot help thinking that the various flavors of Christianity are bound by the one commandment Jesus said was above all others, viz; Love thy God/Goddess (in my case), with all your heart, mind, and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself. 
     Looking at that rule, I think a huge number of denominations fall flat on their moral putukkas when they choose to treat anyone as an outcast, as somehow unworthy of thier rites.   There are churches who feel that Everyone is welcome at the table of the big G.  Look for those affiliated with the Evergreen Association if you need one.
     That said, the lovely concept of freedom of religion means I can shake my head in wonder at those who practise segregation/bigotry/prejudice; and walk down the street to the nearest decent congregation, or buddhist temple or whatever floats my boat.  And I like that.
     As for me personally, since I went fulltime, I've found only acceptance in my community.  Once I explained why my ID and me didn't look the same, my bank tellers have been really kind, my grocers are friendly, and my church - Palmer Church of the Covenant (the famous Howard Bess' Church) has been so accepting that I'm on the deacon board, and I preach about once every 6 weeks.  Heck, some of my Church family showed up to my court hearing about my name change to "offer a friendly smile in an unfriendly place".  Which is more than I can say about my blood family.
-Bri
  •  

Kaweah

Quote from: The Bri Girl on November 11, 2008, 09:05:56 PM
But I cannot help thinking that the various flavors of Christianity are bound by the one commandment Jesus said was above all others, viz; Love thy God/Goddess (in my case), with all your heart, mind, and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself. 
     Looking at that rule, I think a huge number of denominations fall flat on their moral putukkas when they choose to treat anyone as an outcast, as somehow unworthy of thier rites.   
Yes, in essence this is why I left the Catholic Church.  For me, they seem to have lost the basic message of Christianity.   Spiritually I am without a home.  But I trust that God will lead me to the right place, at the right time.

Bri, I am happy that you found your home.  I'm a bit curious, though, did you ever get a chance to meet Howard Bess?
  •  

The Bri Girl

Oh yes indeed.  He's just retired, and we've created him Pastor Emeritus in Perpetuity of the Church of the Covenant.  But we've been friends since he came to visit me in a psychiatric hospital about three years ago.  I'm really really blessed to know him.  I have the absolute privilege of visiting with him at least twice a week.  I consider him the only person in the world who could have gotten me to step inside a church again.  3 years ago, no one could have imagined that happening.  :)
-Brianne
  •  

Kaweah

People like Howard Bess help keep my faith in Christianity.  He truly gets the message of Christ and lives it every day.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Howard Bess, the Anchorage Daily News published an article about him when he retired earlier this year. http://www.adn.com/matsu/story/452870.html

He is author of the pioneering, and still relevant, book Pastor, I am Gay.
  •