News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Queer Eye... to features a F2M Transsexual

Started by LostInTime, August 01, 2006, 02:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

Article

The guys get to makeover a new man -- literally. Miles is a 24-year-old female-to-male transsexual who has just moved from California to New York City to start a new life. On this episode of Bravo's "Queer Eye," airing at 10 p.m., Carson, Jai, Kyan, Ted and Thom take the transplant under their wing and give him lessons in style. Hopefully, Kyan will do something about his bangs and Carson may have more of challenge than usual dressing him. The guys will also help Miles plan a party for his friends and supportive family. It should be an enlightening episode for those unfamiliar with the transgender community, especially the female-to-male constituents, as it's usually the male-to-female members of the community that are put in the spotlight.

Posted at: August 01, 2006, 02:13:59 PM

Also see...

Most compelling "Queer Eye" ever?
  •  

tinkerbell

Wow...something different indeed.  Thanks so much for the 411.

tinkerbell
  •  

Dennis

Doesn't seem to be showing where I am. If anyone gets a link to the episode after it airs, I'd appreciate it.

Dennis
  •  

TheBattler

Gee,

Now I will need to start watch the program here in Australia in the hope that episode comes down under.

Alice
  •  

Mario

I found it, and will be watching it. Thanks

Marco

•  

Luc

I actually saw this episode in a hotel on my way home... it was good, though I think they just made Miles more feminine, if anything. All I know is, after seeing that episode, I feel jealous. Dude could grow a nice beard! Man... and I thought I didn't want T therapy. Now I'm wondering about it... but it's a ways off, anyway. The show had a great depiction of TS life, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Rafe
"If you want to criticize my methods, fine. But you can keep your snide remarks to yourself, and while you're at it, stop criticizing my methods!"

Check out my blog at http://hormonaldivide.blogspot.com
  •  

LostInTime

Thanks for the feedback Rafe.  :)  I actually missed this one, I just had my satellite channels restored and got out of the habit of actually planning TV.  :)
  •  

Mario

It was pretty good. Though I though they could have found better maybe more masculine guys for the show. Miles trans friend was reeeeeeeeeely on the feminine side. Especially his voice. I assume no T for that person.

Marco
  •  

Luc

Yeah, that dude, Austin, was supposedly straight (as a male), but he looked to me like either a chick or a gay man (not that I have anything against either), and his voice was incredibly feminine. He, in my opinion, could have used the makeover far more than Miles. Only thing that got me about Miles was his voice... but since he was bisexual, and gay men tend to have higher voices than straight men, I figured he'd be okay. He just sounded like a 13-year-old guy. I feel better now... my normal speaking voice apparently makes me sound like a 16-year-old guy, and when I lower it, it sounds like a guy's.

Rafe
"If you want to criticize my methods, fine. But you can keep your snide remarks to yourself, and while you're at it, stop criticizing my methods!"

•  

Mario

I agree with you on Austin. I can't see a straight girl going for him. And Miles, yes his voice was disturbing as well,  like helium. My voice was lower anyway before T but now is much lower after almost 2 months back on it. It's almost too low now.

Marco
  •  

Luc

Man, do I want that really low voice. I know mine would get very low with testosterone, since it already is low without. I just can't sing that low, and that bugs me. Did your singing range change as well (probably obvious, but just wondering)? I play guitar, and I'd love to have at least a tenor voice. As it is, I'm about contralto at the lowest.

Rafe

•  

Dennis

Yeah Rafe, my singing voice went from alto to bass. I now sing bass in an auditioned jazz group, so I kept the ability to keep a tune, but my range is smaller than it was. I'm getting some of the tenor stuff back now, but it's slow.

I noticed that about the guy's voice too - saw a small clip of the episode. My endo thinks that guys who get too much T too fast tend to develop a squeakier voice. It could also be what he started with too. Mine was pretty low before T and now it's a very low speaking voice, although I still sound young.

Dennis
  •  

tinkerbell

Come on now guys...he was a cutie....
Yeah...his voice was not quite there yet, but T will do wonders for him.

I agree with some of you on the fact that perhaps they could have dressed him a little bit more masculine, but what can you expect?  Carson was there!  I love Carson by the way, he is such a sweetheart!!!

tinkerbell 
  •  

jaded

that sounds really interesting thanx for posting
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Rafe on August 03, 2006, 03:13:38 PM
Yeah, that dude, Austin, was supposedly straight (as a male), but he looked to me like either a chick or a gay man (not that I have anything against either), and his voice was incredibly feminine. He, in my opinion, could have used the makeover far more than Miles. Only thing that got me about Miles was his voice... but since he was bisexual, and gay men tend to have higher voices than straight men, I figured he'd be okay. He just sounded like a 13-year-old guy. I feel better now... my normal speaking voice apparently makes me sound like a 16-year-old guy, and when I lower it, it sounds like a guy's.

Rafe
Quote from: Marco on August 03, 2006, 03:26:20 PM
I agree with you on Austin. I can't see a straight girl going for him. And Miles, yes his voice was disturbing as well,  like helium. My voice was lower anyway before T but now is much lower after almost 2 months back on it. It's almost too low now.

Marco
I didn't see it, so maybe the guy was really out there. But, come on guys, the poor guy probably wasn't on T yet.
Not all FTMs are naturally gifted in the vocal department. Some of us have to face that everyday, when we pass until we open our mouths. I'm not a quiet person, so this means most of the time I don't pass, as my voice ruins everything.

Nero
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

HelenW

I think the show did a really nice job and, I hope, set a wonderful example for not only the gay population but also the general public how to treat a transgendered person with respect.  I thought that some of Carson's fashion tips, re narrow tie for a wider shoulder look, were very helpgul.  And Kyan (he is so CUTE! Ain't he?) did a nice job on Miles' hair and grooming.

The obvious love and acceptance that Miles' mom showed, especially near the end on the Circle Line ship brought tears to my eyes and I noticed his dad's reticence.  I hope it was because he was too nervous to do anything on national TV.  If it wasn't that, then I hope he too can rediscover his total love and acceptance for his former daughter.

I've ben watching that show for some time and I love it (can ya really tell?) - Thanks to Bravo for being brave enough to take a chance on it.

(Queer and not gay)
helen
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

Luc

I wasn't trying to criticize Austin... I just wondered how he could pass. Maybe he didn't. But he was the one who seemed so self-confident, and felt like he needed no help while Miles was basically a charity case. It just made me wonder.

Just a little fun trivia... my social psyc professor from college went to some university in Texas with Carson from Queer Eye... she said back then he was in denial and trying to act masculine, but SO couldn't pull it off. I thought that was pretty funny, considering his current state.

Rafe

•  

Nero

Quote from: Rafe on August 06, 2006, 11:41:41 PM
I wasn't trying to criticize Austin... I just wondered how he could pass. Maybe he didn't.
Sometimes there's more to passing than just the physical. Technically, after I open my mouth, my "passing" as a physical male is over. But, while people recognize that I'm not physically male, it is very rare that I am ever treated as a female. This has been true my whole life. The guys see me as one of the guys, the girls see me as an outsider, everybody seems to recognize that I'm not a "real" girl.

Nero
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Marco on August 03, 2006, 03:26:20 PM
My voice was lower anyway before T but now is much lower after almost 2 months back on it. It's almost too low now.

Marco, it is not too low.  I have heard your voice on the phone.  It could definitely go lower and you would still be fine, but it is definitely in the male range and out of the female range.

Melissa
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Melissa on August 07, 2006, 11:59:28 AM
Marco, it is not too low.  I have heard your voice on the phone.  It could definitely go lower and you would still be fine, but it is definitely in the male range and out of the female range.

Melissa
Hmmm. Wonder what you'd say about my voice? :D

Nero
  •