Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Going to a therapist

Started by 01803lpn, January 23, 2009, 04:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

01803lpn

I worked up the courage to make a first appointment and now I am filled with doubt.  My friend recomended a therapist and I called her and she told me she had experience with GID.  I made the appointment before doing any research and now I cant find her on any of the lists for therapists.  She sounded really nice on the phone and it was easy to talk to her so I think I am going to go at least to the first one and if it doesn't work I will try again.  I dont know if I could call someone else it took everything I had just to make the first call.  Should I keep this appointment or should I go with someone else?????   I am so confused I thought this would make me feel better but now it is just confusing me more.  I am so confused!!!!  Thank you for listening it means so much.
  •  

Amy85

I don't have any experience in this area unfortunately but I would recommend going to see this therapist. There really is no downside if it doesn't work out besides a little wasted time while on the plus side you will probably feel a little more comfortable the next time you try visiting a therapist, having gotten the first time jitters out of the way on this one  ;)

Just my two cents worth  :P
  •  

Chrissty

Hi Christine,

If you found you were able to talk to her, and she says she had GID experience then thats a good sign. ;)

So I recommend you keep the appointment. Once you have got over the first day nerves, you will be better able to decide if you can work together in the longer term.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on... :icon_biggrin:

Chrissty
  •  

katherine

Hi Christine!  I agree with Amy and Chrissty.  Make the appointment and see how things go.  Like Chrissty said, the therapist indicated GID experience, which is good.  I think that you may find that your nerves will settle a bit once the two of you have started into your session.  I was very nervous also, but my therapist was very nice and easy to talk to.  It just felt so good to be able to open up to someone and discuss my being female.  I think you will experience a similar relief.  Good luck, and please let us know how it went.  Take care.
  •  

Wendy C

Yes, yes, and yes, You should go. It is normal to have the jitters at first but once there, tell her you are nervous, nothing to be worried about. I would bet that almost all her patients were nervous at first. My first time, I was shaking like a leaf and started crying when I arrived and she was wonderful. When I left I was on cloud 9. :) and finally had some answers. Let us know how it goes for you Hon, you'll be fine. Hugs

Wendy
  •  

Renate

Hi Christine:

Don't worry about your therapist not being listed.
If you like her you can add her to the list yourself.

Having good rapport with your therapist is important, especially if you are actually looking for help.

Go and have fun!
  •