Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

SRS and support

Started by Megan, August 22, 2006, 11:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megan

My friend is talking about SRS - and I have done a lot of research and know what some of the risks are.  I know that she wouldn't be happy/complete until she got the surgery (MTF),and I'm ok with that.  I am supportive of the whole transition I'm just worried in case there are problems and something goes terribly wrong.  I would love to hear about others experiences to know more about it, if you are willing to share.

1 - if given the chance to rewind would you do the SRS again?

2 - how long did it take you to recover?

3 - was there anything you weren't prepared for?

4 - what should I be aware of so I can help while recovering from the surgery?

Any input would be great!
  •  

Buffy

Quote from: Megan on August 22, 2006, 11:12:35 PM
My friend is talking about SRS - and I have done a lot of research and know what some of the risks are.  I know that she wouldn't be happy/complete until she got the surgery (MTF),and I'm ok with that.  I am supportive of the whole transition I'm just worried in case there are problems and something goes terribly wrong.  I would love to hear about others experiences to know more about it, if you are willing to share.

Any input would be great!

Hi Megan,

I had SRS in 2002, some 10,000 miles from my home in the UK.

To answer your questions.

1. Yes and sooner knowing the effect it would have on my life. I would have transitioned earlier and asa consequence had SRS earlier

2. I stayed a month in Thailand after SRS and then flew to the UK. Full recovery I guess took 6 months, but I returned to work after a month. The dilation schedule was the toughest thing to cope with.

3. I prepared for most things and made sure I had lots of food, clean sheets, medical supplies in before I left and that friends would be available / staying for the first month.... the answer is really NO. I had no complications or problems afterwards.

4. Tiredness, mood swings, emotion.... all normal stuff really. I tried to do to much and in the end was glad of my friends help and support.

Buffy
  •  

Sheila

Quote1 - if given the chance to rewind would you do the SRS again?
Yes, in a heart beat. I wish I could have had it done when I was born or better yet, born female.

Quote2 - how long did it take you to recover?
Well, that depends on what you are talking about. I was in the hospital for 5 days. When I was released, my partner and I went shopping. I was able to shop for 4 hours per day. I was there for two weeks. It took me 1 1/2 years to be able to ride my bike like I use to. The dialation process still is very uncomfortable, but I guess if I would do it everyday for 2 yrs, then maybe it wouldn't be as uncomfortable. The swelling was complete in about 9 months to a year.

Quote3 - was there anything you weren't prepared for?
No, I don't think so. I had asked questions and had done my homework, like you are doing. If anything, I was over prepared when I went to Thailand. I took way too much stuff that I didn't need. I didn't realize that Thailand had stores that have everything you need and cheaper. Going to a restaurant to eat, making sure they have nice soft chairs. That was one that I didn't think of.

Quote4 - what should I be aware of so I can help while recovering from the surgery?
I really don't know about being aware of anything. I guess make sure she isn't bleeding a lot. She should be able to tell you if there is anything wrong and the doctor will advise you of what to look for. Don't go out and ride bikes though. It takes a while for that unless you have a very comfortable seat. You will need pads, for a Mto F, we are not used to looking for pads and what size and what kind and how many, oye, so many to choose from and not enough time.

[edit]Kimberly: Fixed quote tags.[/edit]
  •  

DawnL

I am 7 months post-op.  98% of the time, I am happy with my decision and expect that to be 100% soon.  Dilation isn't all that bad and I try and make it fun ;) when I have time.  I too would have preferred to be born with the proper anatomy.

I returned to work after 2 weeks to a light schedule and felt normal at about 6 weeks.  I exercised as much as possible as soon as I could.

Not really though the phantom sensations of having the old anatomy for awhile were strange.

Be supportive.  I was moody, happy and depressed, relaxed and anxious and needed the support of my spouse.  My family were very strange at first which was difficult to handle.  Don't push physical activity for at least three weeks.

Dawn
  •  

Sheila

Dawn, I still have a sensation every once in a while of the phantom of the opera. I will go to scratch, not in public only home on the couch, and I will stop myself and say it is gone why do I itch?
Sheila
  •  

Cindi Jones

Yes.  In many ways, I would have done it as soon as I was legal age.  Instead, I got married and had two children. I had the procedure when I was in my late twenties in 1987.  My kids are grown and have children of their own now.  And although there are tenuous moments, I love them dearly.  I'm very happy I held out until they came along.

I went back to work 2 weeks after I returned home from the hostpital.  It took a few months to feel normal again.  Hormonal changes took about a year.  During this time, my emotions were fairly unstable.

I was very well prepared for everything that happened.  The only surprise I had was my room mate who had her GRS one day after me.  She drove me nuts with her constant babling. ;)

Just be a friend.  She'll appreciate it so much.  My friends were my only support after surgery since no one in my family knew I had actually done it. And those friends will be my lifelong friends.  Even though I have moved far away, we keep in touch.  Take her shopping for some new clothes. That was something I was just dying to do afterwards.

Your friend is so lucky to have you.  You are a godsend.  You are precious to her.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •