Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Contact Lense Up-Date

Started by stephanie_craxford, July 14, 2005, 02:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephanie_craxford

I'm not sure if anyone is really that interested in this buttttt....

In the HRT forum I was talking about contacts and spiro and dry eyes, and how I was going to tryout contacts as part of my image change.  The optician wanted to try bi-focal contacts first, (probably because they are the most expensive)  :)  Well just a little up-date - the bi-focals were not working out, although the distance was fine, the reading portion wasn't.  So he ordered mono-vision contacts.  These are working great.  The left contact is for reading and my right contact is for distance.  It is so much better.  I thought that it would be wierd with two different lenses, using one eye reading and the other distance, but it's ok.

So I'm as happy as a clam.

Steph
  •  

Maura Hartman

Think I'll try that too, I'm getting tired of having to carry reading glasses to read a menue when I'm out. Thanks for sharing your experience!
  •  

Louise

I switched to contact lenses a few years ago.  I am extremely nearsighted.  I use the monovision contacts and use reading glasses for close vision.  Although the change to contacts was not primarily because of my crossdressing, I must admit that this has been an added benefit.  I like to use eyeshadow and mascara--and false eyelashes on occasion.  Covering these up with thick lenses was such a waste.  The greatest benefit is the improvement in my peripheral vision.  A number of people have also said that it has made an improvement in my appearance.
  •  

Terri-Gene

The perifial vision issue is a major plus for me in the use of contact for my left eye.  Not having usable vision in my right eye, I have to always be looking a little side ways with my head in order to have max vision on both sides of me, and with glasses, I always have the frame in my way and thus somewhat restrictive.  Not good in some of the environments I tend to hang out in where I can't let it be known I have blind spots.  then too, there is that being able to use brow pencils and eye liners without having to try to work behind the lenses so I can see, though generally I just use "feel" rather then sight to do this.

Terri
  •  

Cassandra

I'm a little curious, it would seem like mono contacts would have an adverse affect on depth perception. My optometrist suggested them but I have yet to try them. How's that working for ya'll?

Cassie
  •  

Louise

As far as depth vision I think that contacts have improved my distance vision.  As I said earlier, I am extremely nearsighted.  Single vision lenses whether glasses or contacts correct for that--the difference is that since contacts are directly on the cornea they do not need to be the milkbottle bottom-like lenses that my glasses are.  Since they are not as thick there is less distortion due to the lens itself. 
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hey there.

So far the mono contacts have been the best so far.  The only problem is that night driving isn't that great, I had the chance to try that while i was away, which is a bit of a downer.  But I think I'll try a 3 month supply and see how they go.  If they don't work I'll just switch back to the old glasses.  >:(

Steph
  •  

lisagurl

I have bifocal hard contacts that are made from a scan of your eyes and cut by computer. They have concentric groves that focus both near and far like a headlight. I love them and they work great. The only drawback is dusty windy conditions.
  •