Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Challenging femmephobia

Started by Hypatia, March 29, 2009, 02:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypatia

I was heartened to read What Transmisogyny Looks Like by Tobi Hill-Meyer. She analyzed examples of femmephobia as it gets intertwined with misogyny. As a femme I was interested to read this, now that someone is actually addressing the problem. Although no one else has picked up on it yet. Disparaging or even hostile attitudes toward femmes and femininity I've often heard from both cis women and trans women invite a look at a hatred that I've found to be very prevalent and yet hardly ever acknowledged, let alone analyzed. We need to call it out for what it is: another form of misogyny.

I suppose in response to comments I've encountered like "feminine trans women are hard to take" or "feminine cis women get on my nerves," it would be fair to say that I find femmephobia hard to take, and it gets on my nerves too. Then we'd be even. But it wouldn't advance understanding or dialogue. That'll take some work and caring and thoughtfulness.

I get that being female and non-femme in a society that on the whole demands femininity of females gets really oppressive, and builds resentment. I totally get that. And I support non-femme women's right to defy these conventional gender expectations and live according to their true non-femme selves. Anytime an ironclad gender role or gender expression is imposed across the board, it's going to leave some persons marginalized and cause oppression. Maybe we could agree on the problem being not femininity or masculinity in themselves, but in the oppressive way they're enforced on people whether it suits them or not.

I believe with all my heart that diversity in openness makes for a beautiful world.

The funny part is that while the macro society demands femininity, once you get within the feminist and queer communities, femmes are often placed very much at a disadvantage. As if we get to be the scapegoats for the gender injustices of the macro society. Or whipping girls, in Julia Serano's phrase. Is it hard to see past one's particular oppression to acknowledge that other individuals can be oppressed in different ways?

If non-feminine females naturally exist in the macro society, and suffer oppression because of who they are, is it hard to see that naturally feminine women in feminist and queer communities are likewise made to suffer for who they are? You can argue that that's just tough, because the big oppressor is the patriarchy, and any other oppression becomes small and insignificant in comparison to that.

But femmes don't exactly find shelter or comfort in the patriarchy when we're queer and feminist. We experience it as monstrously oppressive too because we see what it does to women and queer people who we identify with. We need the queer and feminist communities as our haven and solidarity to be able to defend ourselves from the patriarchy too. So it's kind of painful and tragic when the other queers and feminists who we need to be our family turn around and reject us.

You might argue that being femme is inherently taking the side of the patriarchal oppressor. We queer feminist femmes would disagree because our femininity, despite what they say about us, is not a capitulation to the oppressor. On the contrary, we use it subversively. Because if you're queer in sexuality or feminist in belief, there is no way the patriarchy is your friend. We have more consciousness than you might give us credit for. All I'm saying is think twice before starting the femme-bashing. You might be hurting someone who's on your side.

I believe that in feminism and in queer theory, and especially in feminist queer theory, intersectionality is key. Intersectionality allows us to focus in on ending the oppression itself and lay off of each other.
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

Shana A

Great post Hypatia! Tobi's article really hit on an important aspect that we constantly deal with, if we're too femme we're accused of buying into the patriarchy and stereotypical attitudes of femininity, and if we're too butch or masculine then we're accused of exuding male energy and privilege... damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Z
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

NicholeW.

Read Serano's "Whipping Girl." She has a couple of rather tasty chapters on the relegation of the Feminine by women and also how it tends to impact women with transsexing histories. Tobi was definitely not the first to see this. :)

And intersectionality has more nuance and reasonableness to it than previously incarnated ideas about oppression/repression.

Nichole
  •  

Alyssa M.

Thanks for teaching me a new word. "Intersectionality," that's a useful one to have around. I've long thought it pretty plain that divisions among various oppressed groups have been one of the main driving forces perpetuating the patriarchy (in the broadest and most encompassing sense), but having a word for the idea (well, approximately) is a lot easier than rehashing it every time it comes up in a different context.

But I have to ask: Must being femme be either capitulation or subversive? Isn't that division sexist or femmephobic on it's own? Can't it just be how you feel comfortable? As Ani said:

Quote from: Little Plastic CastlePeople talk
About my image
Like I come in two dimensions
Like lipstick is a sign of my declining mind
Like what I happen to be wearing
The day that someone takes a picture
Is my new statement for all of womankind

I wish they could see us now
In leather bras and rubber shorts
Like some ridiculous team uniform
For some ridculous new sport
Quick someone call the girl police
And file a report
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

Hypatia

Good question, Alyssa. If one spends all one's time queering one's world and fighting oppression in the company of other queer oppression-fighters, it gets to where one constantly feels the need to justify one's very self. Because one's comrades are more than willing to criticize it. Comes with the territory.

Your comment came as a valuable reminder of a basic truth that can kind of get lost in all the struggle.
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

Cindy

Interesting Post

Made me think; is masculinity naturally oppressive? And no I'm not labelling everyone with the same brush.

If you look at masculine societies, or rather ll male bastions, such as prison, armed forces, there seems to be a caste order. There seems little, we are brothers together; it's much more, I'm bigger, stronger more ? than you therefore You are lower than me.

Put a group of perfectly nice guys into a pack and what happens? Too often they will take the very agressive mode, rape, violence, etc.
In the armed forces it is controlled by forced ingrained discipline. In life by nothing. How many women sit on buisiness boards  comprised mainly of men and get somewhere? Some do. Many don't.

I have no answers just some thoughts.
Cindy James
  •