Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

CORRECTIVE RAPE

Started by Annwyn, April 04, 2009, 12:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annwyn

A repost from another forum I seldom frequent, but it infuriates me all the same as it's happened to me in the USA, supposedly the most, "liberal" country in the world.  This planet has no place for this behavior.

Do something about it.

"I'm not sure if many of you are familiar with this issue, but it's become very prevalent in South Africa. While it is not directly related to transgenderism, it has bearings everywhere. It's a direct affront against women, and it essentially is leading us back into even darker ages of oppression and suppression of women.

Here's the original post:

"The international NGO ActionAid just released a chilling report documenting the rise of "corrective" rape of lesbian women in South Africa. According to ActionAid, South African men are attempting to "cure" these women of their sexual orientation by raping them. ActionAid writes that rape survivors "said that verbal abuse from their attackers before and during the rape included them 'teaching us a lesson' and 'showing us how to be real women and what a real man tasted like.'"

Shocking enough, but what makes it even worse is that these crimes often go unpunished. British newspaper The Guardian describes the "culture of impunity" in South Africa with regard to "corrective" rape and other crimes committed because of sexual orientation.

The rape conviction statistics are bad enough. Only one out of every 25 men accused of rape in South Africa is convicted--and with the number of rapes estimated at about 500,000 each year, that's a lot of rapists walking free. And with violence against women that commonplace, it's not surprising to see a dramatic rise in the number of crimes targeting lesbian women, who, as ActionAid says, "are perceived as representing a direct threat to a male-dominated society."

In Cape Town alone, there's an estimated 10 cases of new "corrective" rape each week, according to gay and lesbian support groups in the area. And the crimes intensify; at least 31 women have been murdered in homophobic attacks since 1998--and that's just what can be directly tied to sexual orientation. The lack of prosecution is evident there, too, with only one conviction in any of the 31 murders.

What can be done? Although South Africa's constitution recognizes rights of gay and lesbian people, its legal system does not view crimes committed against gay and lesbians on the basis of sexual orientation to be hate crimes. The South African legal system must recognize "corrective" rape as a hate crime in addition to a rape in order to establish a greater punishment for this brutal and widespread act of sexual violence.

And that culture of impunity must be overcome, with the legal system focused on making "corrective" rape a crime for which perpetrators are tried and convicted. Join me in calling on South African Presidnet Kgalema Motlanthe to deem "corrective" rape a hate crime--and punish it to the strictest extent of the law."
http://www.care2.com/causes/civil-rights/blog/corrective-rape-should-be-a-hate-crime/

If interested, you can sign the petition here: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/516925943?z00m=19751476  "
  •  

rogue

It never ceasess to chill me to the core in the toxic ways, individuals and groups normalise, and self justify monsterous acts, that words often fail to be able to adequately describe the depths to which its perpetrators plumb.
It is clear that a common denominator of prejudice, is the practice of dehumanising and corrupting the vicitims as an individual with value, in this way the aggressor neutalises any dissonance they may hold for such inhuman actions.

I observed such a rationalisation in the actions of people prejudice agaisnt me during my transistion, as they based their acceptability to act in such hostile ways souly on the fact that to them I was a ">-bleeped-< and therefore deserved it". Years on mow, I feel that I have a enhanced insight to prejudice.
  •  

gennee

Rapes is disgusting and dehumanizes its victims. TO do nothing about shows grave indifference to the welfare of women.

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

sarahm

Sorry, this really fires me right up! I cannot fathom how someone could commit such a malicious act like rape.

~ Comment Removed due to indecency =] ~

Sorry, I feel really strong about this subject, and cannot post my thoughts of it as they are way too callous.

~SarahM
  •  

Debra

WTF! I'm so disgusted right now. It's bad enough to try to "correct" something you're born with...but to actually RAPE???!!! OMG, I'm sickened.

•  

gennee

I signed the petition.

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

tekla

This is absolutely insane and should not be allowed anywhere in the world.

I think we should bomb them just to show them.  Yeah, hit them with fire and napalm, burn their homes and business to the ground, hit the schools - that'll learn them real good.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Flan

Quote from: tekla on December 11, 2009, 02:51:35 PM
I think we should bomb them just to show them.  Yeah, hit them with fire and napalm, burn their homes and business to the ground, hit the schools - that'll learn them real good.

So what's your idea of a way to stop rape as a means of keeping the social hierarchy?
(and by proxy the practice of sexual slavery to reduce women to objects)
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

tekla

Hey it works, after we took out Baghdad, Iraq didn't reprice its oil in Euros did they?  Hell no, they pretty much lost the ability to sell their oil at all, to anyone.  It end them nationalizing the oil, which we also didn't want.  And now we own it again.  Who says it doesn't work?
  •  

Alicia91

Even if we fought back, violence would just lead to more violence. In the end, nobody would win. Rather, it should be brought to the public's attention. Maybe if we did something extreme, but non-violent, the public would see the truth about what goes on in this world. I might just write my congressman about it and see if it moves up, or at least make a bit of news.
  •  

aerosolchild

Quote from: tekla on December 11, 2009, 02:59:31 PM
Hey it works, after we took out Baghdad, Iraq didn't reprice its oil in Euros did they?  Hell no, they pretty much lost the ability to sell their oil at all, to anyone.  It end them nationalizing the oil, which we also didn't want.  And now we own it again.  Who says it doesn't work?

But what did it accomplish in terms of women's rights? Not a whole lot, actually.
In some cases, in fact, it has actually made things worse. (http://thewip.net/contributors/2009/12/paint_it_black_women_in_iraq_p.html)

Why would you bomb the homes and families of the women who have already gone through so much? They would be affected just as much as the ones committing these atrocities.

Per the original post: I've been hearing about this a lot lately from various sources. It's so sad, especially since it doesn't even surprise me anymore. Also terrifying, especially being a lesbian myself. I'm living in a pretty liberal part of the U.S. right now, but there was a case like this in San Fransisco just after prop h8 passed. A woman was gang raped for having a rainbow sticker on her car, then left for dead.  Fortunately she survived and is recovering, but she will always have scars from what those bastards did.
  •  

tekla

A woman was gang raped for having a rainbow sticker on her car, then left for dead.

That incident happened in Richmond, and it wasn't the sticker, it was the fact that she was alone in that neighborhood.  It could have had any sticker on it, or no sticker on it, and the end would have been the same.  This is the same town where a high school girl was gang raped at at a highschool dance for over an hour - people stood around, no one did anything.  It's just Richmond.

And I meant that tongue in cheek, because I find that faux internet outrage to be great for posturing, but poor on performance.  Organize an economic boycott, then something might happen.  Otherwise, internet opinions and 35-50 cents gets you a phone call.
  •  

VioletNight

So if I understand this correctly, these men are demonstrating the worst men have to offer in order to convince lesbian women to want to have sex with men. "We're evil! Now come have sex with us!" Makes a lot of sense...
  •  

tekla

The risk of rape (as calculated by reported incidents per population) in Richmond is twice the average in the US.  That's if you're lucky.  The murder rate is 4X the national average.  (and if rape was reported to the same degree that murder is, I bet the rate would be higher.)  It not men, its a special group of men.

OK, let me put it this way.  Any white woman is dead meat in most parts of Richmond after dark, and not too much safer in the sunlight. 
  •  

CA_Medicine_Woman

Quote from: Annwyn on April 04, 2009, 12:26:48 PM
"I'm not sure if many of you are familiar with this issue, but it's become very prevalent in South Africa. While it is not directly related to transgenderism, it has bearings everywhere. It's a direct affront against women, and it essentially is leading us back into even darker ages of oppression and suppression of women."

Actually, those of us who track hate crimes are very familiar with this one, as well as the use of rape as a weapon of war.

South Africa has, unfortunately, earned the nickname "Rape Capital of the World."  The so-called "corrective rape" is but one aspect of an immense problem right now, mostly the fault of alleged religious leaders, but still largely a problem with the attitudes of men (and I use that term loosely) towards women and girls.  The term "corrective rape" is applied mainly to the rape of lesbians (or those assumed to be), and proven motives behind those rapes, but lesbians are hardly alone in being victimized.  Men and boys who are HIV positive are encouraged by so-called religious leaders to seek out virgins (women and girls who have never had sexual intercourse), and rape them, on the assumption this will cure them.

No female is safe in South Africa from these predators.  The ages of the victims range from 3 months to 89 years of age, with most being gang-raped.  As well, young boys are potential victims as well, especially if they appear healthy (which leads to the assumption of an HIV negative status), especially if the boy is seen to be in any way effeminate.

In addition to the attitudes towards women and girls, there is also the issue that South Africa's criminal justice system is ill equipped to handle the shear numbers of these crimes, and the medical system has little or no training to deal with the victims in an appropriate way.

While South Africa holds the unfortunate lead in the shear numbers and per capita of victims, the problem is hardly unique to that nation.  There is a growing trend towards sexual violence and exploitation against women and girls globally, particularly in parts of Africa, Eastern Europe, and the United States.  In Africa, much of this is due to religious extremism and war.  In Eastern Europe, well, it is simply profitable.  In the United States, there appears to be what seems a confluence between religious extremism (Jimmy Carter spoke on this) and sexual slavery (covered briefly by CNN and BBC World News), particularly amongst underage girls as young as 8 years of age.  In the US, it is estimated that there are between 100,000 and 300,000 underage girls currently being sold as sexual slaves.  The exact numbers are unclear, due to the nature of that particular underground criminal enterprise, and the fact that official reporting is sketchy at best as a result.

Post Merge: December 12, 2009, 10:14:56 AM

Quote from: tekla on December 11, 2009, 09:08:37 PM
A woman was gang raped for having a rainbow sticker on her car, then left for dead.

That incident happened in Richmond, and it wasn't the sticker, it was the fact that she was alone in that neighborhood.  It could have had any sticker on it, or no sticker on it, and the end would have been the same.  This is the same town where a high school girl was gang raped at at a highschool dance for over an hour - people stood around, no one did anything.  It's just Richmond.

And I meant that tongue in cheek, because I find that faux internet outrage to be great for posturing, but poor on performance.  Organize an economic boycott, then something might happen.  Otherwise, internet opinions and 35-50 cents gets you a phone call.

I've tracked both cases since the reports first surfaced.

In the grand scheme of things, a rapist needs no excuse for what they do.  When they travel in packs, they just look for victims of opportunity, and any excuse will do.  They will rape a child just as quickly as they will rape an elderly woman.  It's not about sex (beyond using sex as a weapon), it's about degrading, humiliating, and breaking women and girls.

Was the lesbian woman targeted because of her being a lesbian?  Probably, at least according to what has been reported, but that was just an excuse.  Was the high school student targeted because she was alone, or had been drinking?  Probably, but again, that was just an excuse.

In the end, the predatory animals who commit this sort of crime would have been just as happy attacking someone's 6 year old daughter, or 90 year old grandmother.  Rape is about power, control, degradation, and the destruction of women and girls, nothing else.  The case of the high school student who was raped says this attitude towards women and girls is widely held by the community as well, given the utter lack of action from the voyeurs who watched, the school official, and the police that night, until the attack was well over, and a young girl's life was destroyed.
  •  

aerosolchild

Quote from: tekla on December 11, 2009, 09:08:37 PM

We're not talking about the same thing. I did hear about the Richmond incident, but the one I'm talking about was longer ago and less widely reported. Here's a quote from the original article:

"A woman in the San Francisco Bay area was jumped by four men, taunted for being a lesbian, repeatedly raped and left naked outside an abandoned apartment building, authorities said Monday."

•  

CA_Medicine_Woman

Quote from: aerosolchild on December 12, 2009, 10:27:35 AM
We're not talking about the same thing. I did hear about the Richmond incident, but the one I'm talking about was longer ago and less widely reported. Here's a quote from the original article:

"A woman in the San Francisco Bay area was jumped by four men, taunted for being a lesbian, repeatedly raped and left naked outside an abandoned apartment building, authorities said Monday."

Yes, that incident is the same case.  Richmond is commonly considered part of the San Francisco Bay Area.  The crime (or more accurately, multiple crimes) occurred December 2008.  And, there was considerable coverage locally, as well as nationally, until it was overshadowed by DC and Sacramento politics.  The local CBS affiliate was particularly aggressive in their coverage, which was one of the factors behind the relatively quick arrests of the four suspects (one turned in by his own parents).
  •  

tekla

The old joke is:
Q - What do you call the part of San Francisco where the poor people live?
A - Oakland.
Q - What do you call the really poor part of Oakland?
A - Richmond

And you can get all upset and butthurt about these rapes, but somehow (sexism? racism?) no one seems to get all upset about this statistic - A young man, 18-25 has more of a chance of getting shot in Richmond then in Iraq or Afghanistan.  Wrap your tiny mind around that one.  Richmond is less safe than a mother farking WAR ZONE!  And you wonder why they have no respect?  Why life is not all precious and sacred to them?  What exactly is the model held out to them?  That they, and everyone around them is more or less, disposable.  No wonder when they then act that out.

Or, how about this, people w/o jobs trying to save money for HRT/SRS you could move to Richmond.  Why?  Because some parts of the place are so full of toxic chemicals that just living there will shorten your life, and because gas is more important than you are, Chevron will just pay you the difference.

I know people who will drive over the Bay Bridge though SF and over the GG Bridge to avoid going though Richmond, even on the elevated freeway, yeah, its that bad.

•  

aerosolchild

Ah, I see I was mistaken. I apologize.

My point was, this is a problem everywhere, and not just in South Africa. I've heard reports of this in prisons in the US, although thankfully it isn't nearly as common as it used to be.

I'm not sure what we can do about the situation, aside from continuing to push for education and tolerance.
(and signing the petition, of course :) )
Hopefully little by little we can win people's hearts and minds.

•