Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

"Offensive" Danica Patrick Commercial

Started by chrysalis, June 02, 2009, 02:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrysalis

I've heard some people in the community say this is offensive, but I think it is casting CD etc. in slightly positive light. Sure she acknowledges that people might be offended, but then she praises it.

Danica Patrick Commercial - Boost Mobile

What are your thoughts?
  •  

Nero

I don't find it offensive. I agree with you it's nothing against CDs, just acknowledging them. And it's pretty obvious the actors are meant to be CDs and not TS.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Michelle.

I found that funny. People need to lighten up.

Theres probably 10,000 auto mechanics in the US who would consider the "dress code" a very small price to pay in order to get a spot on Danica's pitcrew.
  •  

V M

Yeah...I got a kick out of it too  :laugh: Lighten up  :laugh: Not everything that features CDs or TG people is offensive. I thought the crew did a great job no matter how they're dressed is what stuck in my mind. If anything it was good press  :laugh:
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

NicholeW.

The ad, imo, is not positive nor is it negative. It's a freakin ad and is meant to sell a product!

It's not hateful or holding up trans-folk to ridicule. To some extent it might even be seen as positive insofar as it helps to break down stereotypes and normalize "cross-dressing."

I've noticed that when one is a hammer one usually sees everything as a nail. :)   

More discussion of it at https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,60627.msg390353.html#msg390353

N~
  •  

tekla

It's no more 'offensive' than any of the other spots run for Go Daddy.  I was kinda amazed them good old boys could move that fast in them heels.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Mister

Offensive?  No, more like commentary on the role reversal (and probably the sexism encountered that goes along with it) of beinga female NASCAR driver. 
  •  

tekla

She does not drive NASCAR yet.  That commercial is shot using CART/USAC style cars, which she does race.
  •  

mickie88

i'm all for teamwork, as long as everything is protected i wouldn't care how they dressed. what matters is to win races, or in some drivers cases just finish them safely. i think if somebody like Jimmie Johnson had done the commercial then peeps would be severely worried, but it's Danica, it's a wonderful commercial. but i'm partial to anything Danica anways  ;). the girl i have at work who runs asset protection looks a lot like her but has better curves   ;D ;D ;D ;D
  •  

Miniar

Didn't find it offensive. Didn't see it as positive either.
What I saw was a poor pun commercial..

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Princess Katrina

Not at all offensive, but I do think it was a horrible commercial in general, like most are. :P
  •  

Kara

Not offensive in the least bit. Wouldn't it be nice if pit crews could really express themselves in this way and not get ostracized for it?
  •  

MCMCyn

As a post-op MtF, I found it amusing and not at all offensive.

BTW I worked in auto racing during my entire RLE, with no problem. None. I'm still involved to a lesser degree, and still accepted.

Alyssa M.

Mark another one in the "not offensive" column. It's obviously a reference to Danica being a woman in a "man's" sport. The ad wouldn't make any sense if it were Dale Earnhart, Jr. instead of Ms. Patrick, would it?
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

V M

Quote from: Alyssa M. on June 13, 2009, 12:10:55 AM
Mark another one in the "not offensive" column. It's obviously a reference to Danica being a woman in a "man's" sport. The ad wouldn't make any sense if it were Dale Earnhart, Jr. instead of Ms. Patrick, would it?
I hear he's trying to enlist her pit crew for himself  :laugh:
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

mickie88

I hear he's trying to enlist her pit crew for himself 

the sad thing is he MIGHT actually win A race with her pit crew, and thats sad for NASCAR's most popular driver :( :( :( :(
  •  

tekla

Her crew was good, but at the end of the day no one had been faster than Helio Castroneves all month, as as long as he was in front with clear air, no one was going to catch him in the last 30 miles.  Maybe next year.
  •  

heatherrose

It's getting to the point that I no longer wish
to be considered part of the "Community".
It seems that we're all supposed to be,
thin skinned, nittering dolt, cookie cutter
duplicates of the "Community" "Leadership"

What the PLOCK EVER.

Did "Uncle Milty"'s (or his modern equivalent)
drag gag offend you? If it did,
you really need to get a life and
stop presuming to speak for or represent me.

Milton Berle and Jerry Lewis
"I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you,
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So let's make the most of this beautiful day,
Since we're together, we might as well say,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?" - Fred Rogers
  •  

MCMCyn

thank you heatherrose, you've summed up a lot of my current feelings, perfectly