Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

First topic - were you raised atheist or did you come by way of religion?

Started by Nero, July 18, 2009, 08:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenna Stannis

My first exposure to any kind of religious discussion was at public primary school. We had scripture class (now called religious education or RE), which, looking back, was quite weird for a non-religious state school (to my knowledge, all Australian state schools had RE). Who'd have thought a secular country like Australia would have such a thing, while in the highly religious United States such classes are shunned.

Anyway, I thought everything to do with RE was a ridiculous waste of time. I told my mother that I didn't want to attend these classes, so she wrote me a note and I was exempt. My parents were happy that I asked for an unprompted exemption, as they are both atheists.

So while RE was on, I would sit in the library and read far more interesting books. I started a bit of a revolution, actually, as I was later joined in the library by other students. Some teachers let it be known that they were not happy with me for being such an active unbeliever.

•  

Anatta

Kia Ora FA,

I guess I was raised 'agnostic' in the sense we(my family) didn't attend church (C of E)on Sundays and nor did we say any prayers at meal times...However we did attend weddings, funerals and jumble sales at the church...

In my pre-teens I did voluntarily attend Sunday school(which  could be liken to a form of free baby sitting for our parents-all my friends ended up going) we got free drinks(watered down orange cordial)  and biscuits plus the young adults running the classes used to tell ghost stories, but any biblical stuff just went in one ear and out the other (perhaps my short attention span had something to do with it  ::)  ;D

I don't think I ever heard my parent use the words god, Jesus, heaven or hell, except when swearing (cussing for you Americans)...

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Tossu-sama

I was baptised when I was about one month old, thus I became the member of the Evangelical Lutheran church like many other Finns. But it was never because my family is super religious or anything, it's more like a tradition to give a child their name and/or announce it to other people. Because Finns are more like habitual church-goers, the only things Finns seem to need the church for are baptisms, weddings, confirmations and funerals, but since we have freedom of religion we also have non-religious equivalents for all of those.

Over the course of my life I learnt religious stuff like prayers and had my confirmation and all that jazz but when I turned 18 I resigned from the church because there was no reason for me to be a part of an organization that teaches things I don't believe in and financially support it through taxes (yes, we have a so-called church tax...).

So basically I wasn't raised atheist but I wasn't raised to be religious, either. More like I was always free to choose my stand on these matters. I suppose I was lucky in this matter.
  •  

randomdude5

I was baptised so technically am Catholic, but I never really believed in Catholicism. Maybe when I was like 5 years old since I went to a catholic school, but I don't remember that far!!!

In my opinion, people created religion to have something to believe in because many people find it hard to live life without having a "purpose" or "identity", and create religion to give their lives direction and purpose. They wanted to have a Creator or superior who made the world with some purpose. I would even go as far as saying some people believe their creator or god makes people with a kind of destined fate, giving them satisfaction because subconsciously they may believe their actions are not entirely their fault. So if people created gods and religion for this, in my opinion they can't be real.

And anyways, from the bit that I know about Catholicism, (I never cared much for religion, so I don't know that much.) "god" seemed to be kind of cruel anyways in some of the stuff he did. So believing in something like the god almighty who loves everyone seems kind of contradictory.

•  

Jack_M

My mum is a catholic, my dad a protestant...but a Glasgow Celtic fan! I should have realised then that he was actually an atheist lol, but I didn't realise he was until I started rebeling against religion at a young age. When I was about 10 he admitted it.

I attended caholic schools and I'm honestly of the opinion that the best cure for religion is actually reading the holy books. They're horrendous books. Why anyone would believe in such gods honestly shocked me as a kid, but to WANT to believe in them was, in my mind, akin to willing servatude to an abusive master. If you don't follow everything he said, you're in for, not just pain, but the threat of eternal damnation! What a sicko!

So I agree with this:

Quote from: randomdude5 on March 11, 2014, 01:27:05 AMAnd anyways, from the bit that I know about Catholicism, (I never cared much for religion, so I don't know that much.) "god" seemed to be kind of cruel anyways in some of the stuff he did. So believing in something like the god almighty who loves everyone seems kind of contradictory.

I was 4-5 years old when I innocently asked why I should pray to such a horrible person. That didn't go down too well at church or school but I saw past everything to perceive it as nowt but proving god to be anything but worthy of praise. He killed his own son...who was actually him so it was suicide...but suicide is a sin. WHAT?? He had a man ready to murder his son in his name and then told him to stop after proving his faith. That is NOT cool!  There is no doubt that this particular story laid the foundations for the way too many cases of the mentally ill killing others because god told them too.  It takes less of an illness for a devout religious person to reach a point where they'll follow that command than someone who doesn't believe in a deity following that demand from Mickey Mouse.  The contradictions of a "loving" god and evil acts in the bible were too much. Add to that how obviously MAN made it was and I wasn't buying it. I enjoy books and films with strong female leads and rolemodels for our youth; something religion and holy books does the complete opposote of.

My high school was catholic too, but as an all girls state school, there were a ton of muslims (to keep them away from boys until time for arranged marriage of course - not an assumption, every singe muslim in my school had an arranged marriage at least set up by time they left, except the one who hanged themselves to get out of it) and I learnt more about the other religions including islam there. And I thought the christian bible was horrendous. Ouch!

For me religion didn't make me an atheist (that's impossible really, we're born atheists) but it did make me an anti-theist.
  •  

Ev

I was born to the default position of atheist.  All humans are born atheist.  God has to be taught: the "proper" name, the "proper" book, the "proper" church/temple/mosque rituals...they are not natural.  Atheist isn't even a word I like, though, because it only exists to make a statement about NOT believing in something that doesn't exist.  Is there a word for not believing in UFOs?  A word for not believing in ghosts?  Is there a word for not believing in honest politicians?  If there is, I don't know them...so why should I have to be called an "atheist?"

"They" tried to convert me to Pentecostalism..failed...and I made a brief stop at Luciferian Gnosticism as a form of rebellion, but that didn't last.  Atheism always made the most sense so I embraced it.

I also don't like atheist because it says "I am not."  Well, if I only am not, then what am I?  There is a void there.  I am something.  I am not exclusively an "am not."

However, I am still "religious" in a sense...I have a moral compass and go by some rules I cannot compromise on...but not so much "religious" in terms of believing in a personal/literal/spiritual god.  Buddhists, for example, can be religious in terms of dogma and live by a code, but also be atheists/agnostics.  "Religion" need not always be attached to a "god" to be a religion. 

By all effects and purposes, I am a self-worshipper, pseudo-Objectivist, and an antitheist...almost to the point of being religiously antitheistic.  I could go all out here and say what I really think about god/gods, but this is a public forum and I leave it more to private conversations and my books these days.  No need to be rude.  Here.   ;)
  •  

Jack_M

Religiously antitheistic.

I read that and had to respond with the following: win!

I totally agree with not needing to have any term. Atheism merely indicates the lack of religious faith really. That one doesn't believe in any deity.  I prefer a form to state, "None" as opposed to, "Atheist". By having a term it leads people to see it as a religion in itself and that enrages me. It just simply can't be a religion. We don't share a common belief, we just share a common lack of belief, no different than two adults not believing in Santa. One atheist could be pro choice and one pro life; antitheist or just not care, etc. It's just that, wherever we stand on certain topics, it is determined by ourselves and our own thoughts and research on the matter and not because of some religious book. There's no faith based commonality so how can it be a religion?
  •  

Ev

Quote from: Jack_M on April 08, 2014, 10:32:35 PM
Religiously antitheistic.

I read that and had to respond with the following: win!

I totally agree with not needing to have any term. Atheism merely indicates the lack of religious faith really. That one doesn't believe in any deity.  I prefer a form to state, "None" as opposed to, "Atheist". By having a term it leads people to see it as a religion in itself and that enrages me. It just simply can't be a religion. We don't share a common belief, we just share a common lack of belief, no different than two adults not believing in Santa. One atheist could be pro choice and one pro life; antitheist or just not care, etc. It's just that, wherever we stand on certain topics, it is determined by ourselves and our own thoughts and research on the matter and not because of some religious book. There's no faith based commonality so how can it be a religion?

Exactly.

I fall into this problem alot in politics.  I am an atheist and sort of a "libertarian" (lower case l) myself.  People on the Right clump me in with the Left because I am an atheist but the Left clumps me in with the Right because I am not a Liberal.  I find the state to be another "god" as history as shown with guys like Stalin and I appose strong central governments for that very reason.  I find Ayn Rand's take on "mysticism" to fit the bill pretty well; even though I don't hold to her philosophy 100%, I think a lot of atheists fill that "god hole" with government and are not really over god.  They still look for a religious code: they replace it with the Law of the State...and their abstract god becomes society/the state...and their ministers are politicians.  As we know, no two people can agree on what god is any more than any two people can agree 100% on what the state is.  Why?  Because both are mystical abstractions.

And I end it here.  Atheists are not unified, obviously, any more than the religious folk because they clutch at abstractions still like government, society, altruistic morals, so forth so forth...truth be told, I get along with some Christians more than I do a lot of atheists, because they often become bigger zealots for the state these days than Christians get "hot for Jesus" a lot of times.  As long as my Christian friends don't cram it down my throat we get along just fine...but if I tell one of my Liberal friends I don't like Obama's policies, it is go time!

Really, I'm done, before I urk someone...in fact, I would be suprised if I don't get torn a new one for posting this hahahaha.
  •  

Missy~rmdlm

I was raised hard core Jehovah's Witness. There are only so many technicolor watchtowers I could take with a their version of heaven that seems more like hell to me. I'll be happy to rot with the worms when dead thanks.
My overbearing upbringing simply lead me to dismiss all typical gods and spirituality. I am an atheist. I think organized religion helps some people be happy and has an overall positive effect. But since I don't believe in the deities involved I would rather not be a hypocrit. I have considered joining churches for social aspects and helping the poor, most churches don't want unbelievers there though.
  •  

MadeleineG

I was never explicitly told that I was expected to not believe, so I don't know if it's appropriate to say that I was "raised an atheist". That being said, I certainly wasn't raised to believe and my parents would have been quite confused (and likely appalled) had I "found religion."

I was raised by secular/agnostic parents raised in different faiths. I grew up dinner table chats that regularly included metaphysical arguments against gods and historical discussions about the evils of religion.

Yet, we also celebrated the cultures of both Christian and Jewish heritages. Two sets of presents! Cool :D

I'm raising my son to look at religion as both a diverse collection of ontological mythologies to catalog, experience, and appreciate and as an important context piece for understanding the history of Science.

•  

SilverGirl

Quote from: Ev on April 08, 2014, 02:45:35 AM
I was born to the default position of atheist.  All humans are born atheist.  God has to be taught: the "proper" name, the "proper" book, the "proper" church/temple/mosque rituals...they are not natural.  Atheist isn't even a word I like, though, because it only exists to make a statement about NOT believing in something that doesn't exist.  Is there a word for not believing in UFOs?  A word for not believing in ghosts?  Is there a word for not believing in honest politicians?  If there is, I don't know them...so why should I have to be called an "atheist?"

well said, i completely agree, everyone is born an atheist, all of it is teached, usually by the parents, most of the time when the child is too young to properly understand or question, or that the parents don't want the child to question, so most of the time the child grows thinking it's fact

my family is religious but not very attached to it, only when they want to ask for something like money or to solve a problem, as well as prayers and such in common events like christmas and other things, it is kind of just...expected...that everyone in the family is also a theist, i'm not out to most of my family

when i was growing up i kind of believed a little because people said to me, but when i was about 9 years or something, i started thinking it was illogical, especially when i found out that there were other religions, and everyone just seemed to believe without proving they are right, i thought not believing was more common and respected too, only later i found out that was not the case

i do like talking about religion though, mostly debating and stuff, i think it's interesting that so many people believe in just by faith, and some even take it as a personal offense when their religion is not accepted or talked down by others

another thing that enrages me is that people think being an atheist is a teenage rebellious behavior, like my mom thought i was being rebellious when i said i'm an atheist, uurrrghhhh!
  •  

Adam (birkin)

My dad's side is Baptist but my dad doesn't seem to care about religion one way or the other...my mom is Catholic and brought us to church every week. I became an atheist (kind of...lol) because I had a very odd logical process. I realized I didn't believe in everything that the Catholic Church taught...and I wasn't about to be a "cafeteria Christian" because honestly, what's even the point of having a religion if you make your own rules? Then I realized that SO MANY Christians, and people of other faiths pick and choose their beliefs and which parts of their religion they adhere to. I just don't think that makes any sense. You claim that this religion is going to redeem your eternal soul, or that it is the way to act in order to please some ethereal being, and you're going to be like "yeah I totally believe this in faith but I don't do X Y and Z." Doesn't seem to be taking it very seriously.
  •  

immortal gypsy

While my parents and their are practicing Roman Catholics and they sent me to a Catholic school. I became an athesit at the tender young age of 8 years old.
During an argument with both my parents they tried to get me to say sorry, when I tried to quote a bible verse when they would not let me finish I turned my back on religion all together. Hypocrisy is a quality I can not stand in myself and can not stand in others.
They did try again when they wanted me to do my confirmation, but I soon put a stop to that when I told mum what saints name I wanted

While I do not belive in religion I do understand and respect others do and find solace in it. So no matter what belief system they prescribe to I have no problem being invited to celebrating or mourn with them. as well as debate about the similarities and comminalities about all the beliefs out there
Do not fear those who have nothing left to lose, fear those who are prepared to lose it all

Si vis bellum, parra pacem
  •  

ReubenIsTheName

I was raised to be Roman Catholic from birth. I attended Catholic schools in New Orleans until Hurricane Katrina forced us to relocate to Mississippi, where there are no Catholic schools around, as far as we know. I've attended public school since then, and as the years have gone on, I've had lots of awful things happen to me, including (but not limited to) a woman that would have been my fiance, given the time's death. I was bullied all throughout middle school, and it hardened me and I saw the ways of this world. I've always said since then, "If there is a loving, caring, compassionate 'god' out there...where are they?" (I was taught that 'god' was sexless.) My father squirted holy water on me when he found out I was atheist, which, of course, did nothing, but I guess it made him feel a little better? I don't know, but I digress. My mother has since become Wiccan, as she feels like the Earth is a palpable thing that should be taken care of, and can most definitely be believed in without doubt. I say now that "People shouldn't need an imaginary man in the sky watching them in order for them to be good people." And I live very well being atheist, contrary to what most theists are led to believe. Ricky Gervais put it perfectly: "It's a common misconception that atheists have nothing to live for. Wrong. They have nothing to die for. They have everything to live for."

"After Jesus and rock and roll, couldn't save my immoral soul, well, I've got nothing left, I've got nothing left to lose." 'Nothing Left to Lose' - The Pretty Reckless

Call me Reuben Damian/Toby
Preferred pronouns - He, His, Him | Orientation - "Straight" | Future surgeries - Mastectomy, Hysto, Vaginectomy, & hopefully Phallo.
  •  

Shannon14

I was "required" to attend church, Baptist, and for a few years I was happy to as it seemed to please my grandparents. I was given the option to attend or not when I turned 12 years old, and have only been in a church twice since, for both of my grandparents funeral services.
I was really an atheist long before that, but rarely voiced any opinion about it at home, the beatings weren't worth it.
  •  

Jill F

My parents are atheist/agnostic.  Both are scientists with PhDs.

I have my own take on things that would make me atheist/agnostic/pagan.

At least you can prove the earth exists and it sustains life.
  •  

@Diana

my partner is Atheist , my family in Thailand is Buddhist

so I am 50/50 Atheist/Buddhist .. whenever I go back to Thailand, I am Buddhist , when I live here in Australia I am Atheist LOL

•  

Daydreamer

My family is Christian, but I think of them as the casual laid back type. Sure they believe in a higher power, but we rarely ever attend church. The only time we go is if we're invited to a wedding or some ceremony. So I may have been raised in a Christian household, but I never heard my family talk about faith or anything of that nature, ever. I only got introduced to the church for the most part when I went to church with a friend out of boredom--which went into me going weekly (sunday school and nightly events) from say the age of 8 to 10 or so.

"Stay tuned next for the sound of your own thoughts, broadcast live on the radio for all to hear." -- Cecil (Welcome to Night Vale)

•  

Missamy

I wasn't raised anything, though my mom did take me to a Methodist one. Got tired of going and drifted away with free thought.
  •  

AnomalyEternal

I was raised with my mother's side of the family devout Christians (and I respect them and say the God's prayer while at their house etc.) and my father's side of the family atheist.
  •