Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Atheism and morality

Started by finewine, September 06, 2009, 04:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VeryGnawty

Quote from: tekla on February 11, 2010, 11:40:59 AM
I only gave a quick summery, in fact, you do need to read the entire book to see the real point.  Not all things are solved in a matter of a few sentences, some are very complex.

Some things are complex.  Biochemistry, for example.  Morality, not so much.  Functional morality can exist without God, and can be explained in a few sentences.

Example:
John's car broke down on the highway.  John doesn't have a cell phone, but many other people do.  He waves a passing driver down so he can make a call.  Because John understands the (very small) inconvenience to the other driver, John gives the man a small sum of money.  The other man makes money (because it is more than it cost him for a minute of phone time) and John saves money (he does not have to walk to the nearest phone booth to make a call).  By helping each other out (the moral choice) both men have gained something through their encounter.

That's functional morality, in a nutshell.  I have a bigger nut, if you need it.  I'll be here all week.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Firelight

Quote from: VeryGnawty on April 12, 2010, 06:54:31 AM
John's car broke down on the highway.  John doesn't have a cell phone, but many other people do.  He waves a passing driver down so he can make a call.  Because John understands the (very small) inconvenience to the other driver, John gives the man a small sum of money.  The other man makes money (because it is more than it cost him for a minute of phone time) and John saves money (he does not have to walk to the nearest phone booth to make a call).  By helping each other out (the moral choice) both men have gained something through their encounter.

That's functional morality, in a nutshell.  I have a bigger nut, if you need it.  I'll be here all week.

I'm a bit hesitant to use that example. It implies that you'd only make a moral choice if you'd expect the possibility of getting something out of it. Doing something nice just to get a reward (*Cough*Heaven*Cough*) isn't morality, it's bargaining.
  •  

Hikari

Morality needs not to be quid pro quo at least not the way I see it. Stopping to help the other driver may well make me happy in and of itself, as I felt it was the right thing for me to do, I don't think I would expect nor accept any sort of tangible reward even if it was merely compensation. It wouldn't make me feel right if I did, and my morality is pretty much along the lines of doing what feels right to me.

私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

Little Dragon

I've experienced much of this christian argument, so I'll inform you all of where they're coming from..

The christians believe that morality is objective, decided by god and prescribed to humanity via the bible; since atheists don't believe in god or the bible, they cannot comprehend where the atheist community derives its own objective morality. Morality MUST be objective, otherwise anybody could invent their own version of the moral code which could incorporate murder as being perfectly moral (gasp! those pesky atheists mite think killing is A-OK!! they must be stopped ASAP!) ironically, Ive found that murder has been deemed perfectly moral in the christian bible in the old testament, furthermore, by the christian's way of thinking about morality - IF god came down from heaven just to whisper into the ear of a faithful psychotic christian armed with a battleaxe that "it is now no longer immoral to kill, i'd like you to kill everyone" then what would be preventing him/her from having a rampage? It scares me to think that christians are one imaginitive whisper for them to kill..

Richard Dawkins makes a very compelling explanation as to the origins of the concept known as "morality" via Darwinian means, which is that we have evolved over millions of years from a primitive species to a social one with a sense of morality, for a society with a moral code will survive and a society without one will surely die out fast!
  •  

Jester

Philosophers that a person can read to come to a rational consensus about morality without appealing to god:
Kant, Hegel, Kant, Kierkegaard, Sartre, Kamus, Plato, Aristotle, John Stuart Mill,  Heidegger, Derrida, Thomas Hobbes, Machiavelli (though he doesn't have a very PLEASANT view of morality) Sigmund Freud, so on and so forth ad nauseum.

Some of these thinkers were theists, but none of them place god as the absolute determinant of morality.  The theists who claim that we can't have morality without god are probably the most wrong people on the planet.  And I'm not bashing their theism, just that they can't imagine a person not killing, raping, and eating babies without a precious god to tell them what to do.  Personal responsibility, most theists have it too.
  •  

lisagurl

QuoteI've actually had discussions lately with some religious friends of mine about whether morality is objective or subjective (obviously, they feel it's objective; the word of God and such).

The word of God is subjective as it comes from the mind. Something objective does not need humans. A stone is an object. Feeling empathy is subjective. Hearing the word of God is subjective as not everyone experiences it. Science measuring and repeated experiments getting the same results is objective, beliefs are subjective as they do not need evidence.
  •  

tekla

FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

lisagurl

QuoteMost of us naturally feel empathy for others (those without this ability are usually known as sociopaths

Not exactly not everyone feels or thinks the same. It is psychology that is man made that does not have all its marbles in a row. There is nothing wrong about not having empathy. In fact there was no such thing till about the 18 century when a German word for recognizing what the artist was thinking in his work led, to the concept.
  •  

tekla

Not only that but every two-bit hustler, grifter, con-artist, and predator has empathy aplenty.  That's how they do it.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Jacelyn

QuoteThe word of God is subjective as it comes from the mind. Something objective does not need humans. A stone is an object. Feeling empathy is subjective. Hearing the word of God is subjective as not everyone experiences it. Science measuring and repeated experiments getting the same results is objective, beliefs are subjective as they do not need evidence.

This sums up the basics of reality, that if it comes from the dichotomizing processes of mind, it is subjective.  Mind's principle itself is not subjective, so is the physical laws of the external universe.

God is mind's dichotomic pattern of projection, without the projection to sustain, even the concept of god do not exist. Thus all supposed word of god, is subjective projection based on subjective belief that is sustained. Since beliefs and dichotomic actions of mind are subjective, it is possible to live beyond this [dichotomic actions of] mind, and live in more harmony with the objective basis [of mind nature principle] and the objective phenomena [of physical universe].
  •  

nickikim

I deny anyone the right to tell me how i should  live based on the guidence of their invisible boogey man. This is my life I will live my life, I need no good sheppard, I am not a sheep.  I don`t deny that i have standards of right and wrong but they are fuzzy and situational, I don`t believe they were Implanted in me by some act of divinity ,any more thana dog needs a bible to guide him to be a dog. 
  •  

VeryGnawty

Quote from: tekla on April 09, 2011, 08:25:34 PM
Not only that but every two-bit hustler, grifter, con-artist, and predator has empathy aplenty.  That's how they do it.

Yeah.  You have to understand what people feel if you want to be good at manipulating them.  Every scammer and griever I've ever run across knows exactly what damage they are doing to people financially and emotionally.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Berserk

For me the term "morality" carries with it a lot of religious baggage about "good," "evil" and "sin," none of which exist outside a religious system. I think in a secular society largely made up of agnostics or atheists, it's not so much about what is "moral" or "immoral," but what systems (defined by laws and codes of conduct) advance society and which hinder it from progressing.

Evidently legalizing murder is not particularly useful when it comes to building a stable, free and progressive society, same with theft and so on. All of these laws and codes of conduct are pretty logical.

I think for many the point of contention is "moral relativism," which I think they completely miss the point of most of the time.
  •  

nickikim

If murder, and theft were both legal, it wouldn`t take long to bury all the thieves.
  •  

Amazon D

My sister is a righteous person and won't be judged by God. Many people are righteous and don't know God as i do. I follow a group of people who also believe if your a good person you won't be judged by god as a non believer. They call it three eternal destinies.
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

CelestaT

From my perspective, morality is defined by life its self. We're capable of understanding that other people, other animals, have the same range of emotions and respond the same to stimuli, and that there isn't an entity dictating that one organism's are more important than another's. The only rational thing to conclude from this is that we must conduct ourselves in a way as to minimize the emotional distress we cause on each other.
  •  

Semiopathy

Atheism is a negative statement.  It is lack of belief in a god, or, a belief that gods do not exist.  Contrasted to a theist, a positive statement, a belief in God, a belief in something.  If someone claims to be an atheist, the only thing one can determine about them from that statement is that they do not believe in a god.  They may be moral or immoral or amoral, etc. etc.  They may be anything, except a believer in gods.

As far as the case for morality goes, morality should not be a ball and chain around your ankles (hampering your progress in life), nor a threatening whip above your head (do these things or you will be punished).  Morality should be used as a guide to improve and sustain our lives.

Consider a plant.  A plant, like a human, needs certain things for its survival.  Air, water, sunlight, soil.  But a plant has no choice in whether or not it gets these things.  It is rooted in place, without volition, without cognition.  Plants act automatically to gain the things they need to survive; there is no such thing as a "moral" or "immoral" plant.  Even lower animals act automatically to survive.  Would you judge a lion as immoral for chasing down and killing a gazelle?

It is only with rational, volitional animals where morality can apply, when a choice between life and death can not only be made, but understood; and it is the needs of such animals (humans) that must be served by morality.  In such a view, morality is not subjective, based off of a person's (or society's) whims, nor is it given by an omniscient, omnipotent being.  It can and should be determined objectively, through  reason, by looking at what an individual needs to further his or her own life, and acting accordingly. 

Consider for a moment all of the achievements of men that have been made through faith, and all of the achievements of men that have been made through force.  Then contrast these to all of the achievements of men that have been made through reason.  Now tell me which of these three has had a greater hand in furthering human existence.
  •  

JediFlem

The idea of "dont anger/kill the other members of your society" is somethig thats is instinctive, humans are pack creatures and it is in our best interest to not anger or lessen the amount of people in our pack so these ideas of morality are just inherently in our brain. This article shows rats have empathetic feeling towards other rats.

http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/12/11/a-friend-in-need-is-a-friend-indeed/60543/
  •