Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Eclectic solitary Pagan

Started by Lisa Howard, October 07, 2009, 11:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Howard

Merry meet. I just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself to you all.
I follow a rather eclectic, solitary path personally. So, not strictly speaking Wicca, but feel I have much in common we can share

Blessed be

Lisa xx
  •  

Kaitlyn

Hiya, and welcome to Susans!  I guess my beliefs are a lot like yours, but I usually refer to myself as a Wiccan anyway.  That's become a lot more common for us solitary folk than it used to be... or so I'm told.
"The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled."
— Plutarch
  •  

Janet_Girl

I would say I am a non-practicing sole practitioner, who follows Cunningham.

Janet
  •  

Kaitlyn

Cunningham's books are so much better than Buckland's.  That guy just seems like a money-grubber to me.
"The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled."
— Plutarch
  •  

Bethany W

Quote from: Kait on October 07, 2009, 02:46:24 PM
Cunningham's books are so much better than Buckland's.  That guy just seems like a money-grubber to me.
I totally agree.

I am also an eclectic solo practitioner.
  •  

jesse

i am more in line with van praugh line of thinking i use to follow wiccan beliefs now i think it is too dangerous and risky open the wrong door and you could be in trouble.
like a knife that cuts you the wound heals but them scars those scars remain
  •  

Bethany W

Im actually more in line with the Aleister Crowley type of magick.
Many of the other pagans I know tend to have a negative view of me for that.
  •  

cynthialee

I am a solitary witch also. I don't mesh with covens very well.
Have been a witch for over 20 years.

So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

Bethany W

I tried working with a coven earlier this year and it just wasn't for me.
Some of the ex-members are still very vindictive towards me.
  •  

Constance

I'm a solitaire who's influenced primarily by Cunningham, and Kaatryn MacMorgan of the Church of Universal Eclectic Wicca (CUEW).

Although, I was asked to leave the CUEW coven I was studying with as there were some beliefs I didn't quite believe. So, I was either too eclectic or not Wiccan enough. Oh, well.

FairyGirl

I'm a fairy pagan- not exactly Wiccan or even Faerie Wiccan trad but we share the same holidays (fairies love to celebrate anything). I tried joining a full fledged Wiccan coven for a while, but besides the gods they prayed to and a superficial difference in rituals they were basically the same as Baptists, and it wasn't for me. I do much better just working directly with the fairies, which does take some practice. Think "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" for just one example of what can go wrong. Fairies are quite literal, and you truly do have to be careful what you wish for...
Girls rule, boys drool.
If I keep a green bough in my heart, then the singing bird will come.
  •  

Lisa Howard

I have also found working solitary has always been the way for me. I have never joined or been part of any coven. I did attend several full moon moots with other pagans locally but again this wasn't for me. there seemed to be many divisions between folk and too much hierachy so I decided to bow out gracefully

Lisa xx
  •  

Constance

Most of the public rituals I'd attended were quite fulfilling. But, the leadership of the group most local to me basically got burnt out. I haven't been to any public rituals in some time.

FairyGirl

yeah I always enjoyed the big sabbat celebrations, especially Beltane where they would rent this big park for the whole weekend and have a big campout/bonfire thingy. Those were fun. It was the weekly meetings that got a bit tedious, not to mention all the "who's sleeping with who this week" drama.
Girls rule, boys drool.
If I keep a green bough in my heart, then the singing bird will come.
  •  

LightlyLuke

I'm a solitary practitioner also.
  •  

Kurzar

Quote from: Bethany W on October 08, 2009, 07:01:53 AM
Im actually more in line with the Aleister Crowley type of magick.
Many of the other pagans I know tend to have a negative view of me for that.

This is because Crowley is what a lot of the Church of Satan (Anton LeVey) is founded on. Much different in views from most of Wicca :)

This is my 1st post to these forums on the whole. I'm a solitary practitioner of Wicca following Cunningham.  I haven't delved into much yet beyond just basic prayer, but I'd like to delve into the ritual side in the future.
  •  

EveMarie

Solitary practitioner, and recently self discovered Pagan. I do have a friend who is a Gardnerian High Priestess who has been helping in my guidance and discovering "The Goddess, and God". I follow my heart and feel I'm a true naturalist. Unusual as it is, I'm also a new student of Philosophy, which has been opening my thoughts to a whole new complex world of thought...
"You are not born a woman... you become one..."  Simone de Beauvior
"No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."  Friedrich Nietzsche
  •  

Enchanting_doll

I'm a practicing solo at the moment until my new school year starts and my slowly getting put together coven comes back. I've been practicing for about 11 years, and I tend to follow SilverRaven Wolf's teachings though I have read Scott Cunningham's books, as well has books on various traditions. I find though that most of the pagan world is really diffucult to fit in because so many are hyper focused on the idea of binary genders and absolute genders. I have been interested in Dianic Wicca for a long time but have never been allowed (or felt that I'm allowed) to even seek out gudiance in the trad. My friends are helping me develop a new path that will allow all women and those who identify Femmene to practice.
  •