Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Camping

Started by tiffani66, July 25, 2005, 01:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiffani66

I daerly love to go camping, preferably wilderness style, but I have not been able to afford to leave the city of Toronto for that purpose since September of 1996.  I had been living as a female for about forty months at the time of the trip.

We went to a camp on the shore of Lake Scugog, which is about a two hour drive north of Toronto.  The trip was sponsored by a drop-in agency, of which I was a member at the time.  My only regret about going there was that we had to live in cabins; I truly prefer to be outdoors, in a more natural environment.

I can still remember a humorous incident that happened to me on the first night at the camp.  While using the facilities, I left my small wallet on the lid of the toilet tank.  Someone had managed to make the floor wet in front of that particular stall.  I went to step in to the stall to retrieve the wallet, slipped in the spilled water and fell down, with my hand dropping straight down into the outflow pipe of the toilet.  I was lucky enough that I only lightly sprained my left wrist when I fell down.

I am a Taurus, so I can be very stubborn; I am also a person who enjoys competing with others in many different ways.  On the morning after the hand-dive, I was in a competitive mood, even with a wrapped left wrist.

There was a basic archery range at the camp; I proved that, even with an injury, that I could keep up with the leader in hitting the target.  This surprised a fair number of the people who were watching us, as they had never known that archery is one of the few sports that I truly enjoy participating in.  I like archery because it helps to improve eye-hand coordination.

I would truly love to be able to go camping again soon, but my financial situation makes that highly unlikely at this time.Living here, in the big city, I miss the great and wild outdoors more than anything else.  *Sigh*

Tiffani
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hello Tiffani,

It's so hard living in a big city when you love the outdoors so much.  We used to live in Kingston about 1 1/2 years ago now, and we decided to move into the country as we missed it so much.  Now we are surounded by lakes, and I can go kayaking (my passion) when ever I want.  So it took us a while for this dream to come true, so just keep hoping that yours and the great out doors will come true for you.  Being a Stubborn Taurus will help  :)

Steph.
  •  

tiffani66

I would love to be able to move out of the city.  I have missed the country lifestyle for many years now.

I wish that I could live on a farm; I would plant about five acres of mixed vegetables for my own use, as well as having a fair amount of land to wander on whenever I would wish to do so.

I would also, if I rented a farm somewhere, have a space a little way from the house where I could pitch a tent and laze away on those hot summer nights.

I would love it even more if that hypothetical farm were located near a decently sized lake where I could do some fishing, as a supplement to my imaginary vegetable garden et al.

Then I could have everything that I would want in one place.

*Sigh*  Regrettably, that is not likely at this time because I have medical conditions, none of which are really life threatening in any way but can be disruptive re my ability to take care of a property, I would need to have someone there who would be willing to live with an opinionated trans lady like myself.  I would also need to have that person be a car owner, as I have never had a driver's licence.

My financial situation is better than it has been in many years, yet I have no idea if I would be able to afford to rent to own a property.  It is something that I should look into later.

If wishes were horses...  Speaking of horses, I love to ride them, even though I have not been able to do so for more than twenty years.  ...beggars would ride and I would own that farm, with horses.

Tiffani

•  

stephanie_craxford

Hi there.

It's so nice to have dreams, no matter how realistic, or un-realistic they may be, just like dreaming about what you would do with all the money if you should win the lottery.  It's fun and they help keep us a little saner.

Steph
  •  

tiffani66

Remember how I was mentioning about how I would love to be able to live in the country again, preferably on a little farm?

Well, thanks to a certain person who gave me the best set of directions I have ever been handed in my life, I have people who might be interested, at some point, in assisting me to move out of the city permanently and join their community.

The difficulty lies in the question: which direction do I choose to go if I leave the city?

Most of the people want me to move out near Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge, about an hour-and-a-half drive west of the city, where a large number of them live.

There may also be interest from a couple of people who live near Peterborough.  My heart seems to be drawing me in this direction very strongly lately. 

Do I follow my heart here?  Or do I wait and let the whole situation develop a little more?

Actually, no matter what, even if I chose to leave the city, I would have to wait until the beginning of November because I would have to give two months notice first.

In a way, I feel like the rope in a tug of war.

Any comments or suggestions?

Tiffani
  •  

stephanie_craxford

I guess it depends on how desperate you are to get out of the city.  With all the shootings that have been going on recently I can imagine that it would be quite soon  :)

QuoteI have people who might be interested, at some point, in assisting me to move out of the city permanently and join their community.

However as much as I would like to say "follow your heart" I think you should wait a little and see how it developes, as it doesn't seem as though it's a given right now.  Some prudent planning may avoid your heart being broken.  But heck, if you are desperate to get out of the city, then persue your heart.   :)

Take care,

Steph

•  

Denise01

Hi Tiffani:

I totally agree with your thoughts, that it is much nicer to live outside the city of Toronto, regardless of where it is.( you could have not paid me enough money to live and work in Toronto )
I was  born in Long Branch,( now part of Metro Toronto, ) however my parents bought the property i am now living on in Eastern Ontario many years ago.
I too love camping.  I as you when i started out loved the outdoors, and camping in a tent out in nature was the only way to go.
I have now gravitated to a travel trailer, primarily for health reasons, but still love the out of doors, and in fact i am living on a parcel of land about 16 acres which has river water frontage.
Moving is a big decision, and one that has to be give a great deal of
thought as to where you wish to where you wish to spend the rest of your life, if this is to be your last move. I moved many times because of employment , however the company paid most of the expences, but moving these days is very costly.
Be guided by your heart and also your common sense, as if you select the wrong location,  you will be on the move again. Wether you go North, East or West, it has to be a personal decision, and there are a lot of good camping  spots in any direction from Toronto

Denise
  •