Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

My first rite

Started by LightlyLuke, October 17, 2009, 09:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightlyLuke

I had run away screaming from my computer support job. I was trying to sell myself as a programmer. I was self-taught in a college town full of computer science majors and got laughed at. I found myself in my favorite bookstore with a copy of Practical Solitary Magic by Nancy B. Watson in my hand.

That book ends with a week-long rite, which I adapted to finding a job I could do happily. I thought the process of a rite made such sense: carefully work out a very specific goal, then approach its appeal through each of the four planes-- affirmations, visualization, prayer, candle magic, etc.

Halfway through the week, I saw an ad that used words like "coding" and "Tek," so I applied. It was a typesetting job and I took it. That job taught me what I needed to know for a typesetting job in a real prepress. Surprisingly, it took a few years for me to notice how closely aligned this job and my rite's goal were. The affirmations I chanted were the work environment I was living.

Part of my goal was for the job to evolve into a work-at-home position. I'm now learning book indexing on my own for a working retirement. Ten years later, my first rite is still expressing itself.

-- Luke
  •  

cynthialee

:)
I love it when a plan comes togather.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •