Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Shirataki tofu noodles

Started by Hannah, November 15, 2009, 07:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannah

I've been living low carb for over a year now, and I love it. Occasionally I'll get into the sugar, but the reward is transient and my body never does feel quite right until I go back to it. I won't go into a big thing on how it works, basically you get your body in a state of ketosis and keep it there.

Lots of people who low carb think calories and fat aren't important, and to some extent they aren't. It's just so counter-intuitive to me though, to eat so much meat and fat and expect to be healthy. So, I sought out other ways of low carb living without being such a greasy carnivore and I found Shirataki noodles. They were NASTY. They smelled like fish and had the texture of bubble gum and were just unpalatable.

Then the other day I found some with Tofu blended in. This was intriguing, so I decided to give them a try and wow, am I glad I did. Before you try these things, expect that they will be different because they are not pasta no matter how much they look like it. They are made out of an asian yam root and the tofu makes them less nasty. The thing about these noodles is they absorb the flavor of whatever you cook them with. Expecting them to be gummy, I cut them up into one inch segments, and sauteed them with a bullion cube. Once they were nice and softened up I threw in some mushrooms and soy sauce, and they just drank that soy sauce right up.

I topped it off with some ground beef, but I ended up picking most of that out because the noodles and mushrooms were SO delicious. All in all tonights dinner was a huge bowl of noodles, leaving me feeling very satisfied, consisting of no more than 3 grams of carbohydrates and just under 300 calories, prolly less because my dog got most of the meat.

The texture of the noodles improves if you cook them long enough, at least the tofu variety. Adding something chewy like mushrooms or maybe a green pepper tricks your palate into not noticing that the noodles are chewier than regular pasta, and since they are all fiber they fill you right up with no calorie/fat cost.

It was excellent, and at $1.30 per bag a very reasonable addition to the pantry.
  •  

Nero

sounds good actually. now is this a japanese food?
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Bellaon7

It's amazing what you can get in a grocery store these days. I buy hot sauces from walmart(less than &2), made in Mexico that imo are amazing. You don't have to be some stuck up cheff or food snob shopping high end specialty stores to get good ingredients & eat well. I've never heared of these noodles(& I've been a hash slinger for yrs), let alone that they come in variety. Very cool, I'm goona keep an eye out, so to speak(I wish I was your dog for the few secs it took to snarf & enjoy).
  •  

Hannah

I'm going down to get some more, I've been craving them. This is awesome, craving something that's actually good for you  8) Should I pick anything else up while I'm out, anyone need anything? I think I'll try the ground beef again tonight, maybe with a bell pepper.
  •  

Bellaon7

Don't buy any corked wine! Get the good stuff in the box.
  •  

Hannah

Don't make fun of my boxed wine missy or none for you! I can't get over how excellent these noodles are, they make me want to experiment with regular tofu, minus the shiritaki.
  •  

Bellaon7

Quote from: Becca on November 17, 2009, 12:13:45 PM
Don't make fun of my boxed wine missy or none for you! I can't get over how excellent these noodles are, they make me want to experiment with regular tofu, minus the shiritaki.
No, no funny, no funny! I am terrified of tofo. To scared to even look at it let alone try it. Please be carful. 

Post Merge: November 20, 2009, 10:38:15 PM

Becca, I am very interestested in exploring these nooodles on my own. Yams fall into the catagory of superfoods. I honestly though you may have been confused at first, but I now know this not to be. I will/can make my own noodldes, but would like a referance point. I am interestested in your  workout routine as well.
  •