Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Have you ever bit your pets?

Started by Hannah, November 25, 2009, 08:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannah

Have you ever bitten your dog?

I'm serious. My mother lived with me for a year before moving in with my brother, and I raised her dog from a pup. Under my instruction he was leash broken, well mannered and polite...but she's ruined him. I was over at their place earlier today and he was acting up, bossing humans and just basically being a jerk...so I bit his ear. I looked up and my whole family was looking at me like I'd lost my mind.

Have I? I raised him like a momma dog would have, and mommas nip their pups when they're getting out of line. He knocked off his crap too, but now my family thinks I'm even weirder than before.
  •  

Lachlann

Normally in such a situation I take my hands and make the dog look at me and stare him down. Eventually he'll look away which means he knows I'm the dominant one. I've never bit a dog to discipline, a light swat maybe which registers as the same thing. I mean you don't nip a horse if they try to bite you, you use something else to nip them.
Don't be scared to fly alone, find a path that is your own
Love will open every door it's in your hands, the world is yours
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers will unfold
What are you waiting for, spread your wings and soar
  •  

Janet_Girl

That is how I broke my dog, when he was a pup, from nipping.  Mama Dogs and cat do it all the time.

Bear learned quick not to nip at people or the cats.

Janet
  •  

Miniar

I've never bit a pet (unless you count my partner) but I know that school of training and know that it works. I just know that there are other ways of going about it that work just as well that don't cause people to look at you and go "wtf?"

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

insanitylives

no, you havn't lost your mind

i do that with my cats.
mum thinks i'm nuts,but that's not news
  •  

Hannah

He doesn't taste half bad either, when the economy tanks maybe we can cook him up.
  •  

tekla

I lived upstairs from a Chinese family for a few years.  They had a plastic wading pool out back.  I thought it was for the kids until one day I saw a duck swimming around in it.  Thought, gee, nice pet.  It was out there swimming away for a week or so, then it was gone.  A week later, a new duck.

That went on for years.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

LordKAT

Yes

Quote from: tekla on November 26, 2009, 11:32:57 AM
I lived upstairs from a Chinese family for a few years.  They had a plastic wading pool out back.  I thought it was for the kids until one day I saw a duck swimming around in it.  Thought, gee, nice pet.  It was out there swimming away for a week or so, then it was gone.  A week later, a new duck.

That went on for years.

LOL  sounds ike a neighbor but I won't go into details atm
  •  

Michelle.

Grip the ear between thumb and forefinger. Snap your fingers just hard enough that the dog yelps.  It gets his attention, yet dosent really hurt him.

•  

Shadowlyc

You're not weird. It's how I teach my dogs not to bite.
  •  

tekla

It's how I teach my dogs not to bite.

How did you teach your dog not to poop in the house?
  •  

V M

When I was a child I bit my cat's tail. But I don't think I would do such a thing as an adult  :laugh:
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Silver

•  

Hannah

Quote from: Virginia Marie on December 01, 2009, 08:45:23 PM
When I was a child I bit my cat's tail
I've never bit a cat  ;D
My cat is a masochist. I was holding him one day while talking to a friend and we made a joke about him being a naughty cat. I gave him a light swat on the butt and he got all excited, purring and thrashing around. Nowadays he gets frustrated with me because he wants me to hit him harder than I can bring myself too. He starts slobbering and purring and sticking his hind end in the air and the harder you swat him the more excited he gets. I know, that cat seriously needs some therapy.
  •  

tekla

He starts slobbering and purring and sticking his hind end in the air and the harder you swat him the more excited he gets. I know, that cat seriously needs some therapy.

Or just buy the cat a little leather outfit for Xmas.
  •  

Shadowlyc

Quote from: tekla on December 01, 2009, 08:24:26 PM
How did you teach your dog not to poop in the house?

The typical no and dragging them outside. ): Boring, I know.
  •  

aubrey

Quote from: tekla on December 02, 2009, 11:49:40 AM
He starts slobbering and purring and sticking his hind end in the air and the harder you swat him the more excited he gets. I know, that cat seriously needs some therapy.

Or just buy the cat a little leather outfit for Xmas.

and don't forget the gimp mask!
  •