News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

A question about coping for those who will not live full time

Started by Just Kate, November 30, 2009, 12:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Kate

Quote from: Vexing on January 11, 2011, 01:15:52 AM
That's the thing about being trans, it doesn't discriminate between great minds and lesser minds. A lot of extremely smart people have tried to find ways of getting their dysphoria to go away, but no one has yet found a decent solution other than transition.
Wouldn't you rather that it was gone, instead of having to let it play you for the rest of your life?

Curing GID through the current available method (transition) at the expense of everything one holds important in their life is not worth it to some of us.  An acceptable treatment (if not a cure) which allows them to keep the things they find important would be far preferable.  Some here are not in that position of losing everything or are willing to risk it - they have plenty of support at this site.  This point thread and indeed my research is for those who feel the cost of transition is far too high a price to pay despite its status as a cure.
Ill no longer be defined by my condition. From now on, I'm just, Kate.

http://autumnrain80.blogspot.com
  •  

CaitJ

Quote from: interalia on January 11, 2011, 01:23:30 AM
Curing GID through the current available method (transition) at the expense of everything one holds important in their life is not worth it to some of us.  An acceptable treatment (if not a cure) which allows them to keep the things they find important would be far preferable.  Some here are not in that position of losing everything or are willing to risk it - they have plenty of support at this site.  This point thread and indeed my research is for those who feel the cost of transition is far too high a price to pay despite its status as a cure.

Then, as our conversations inevitably end, good luck with your quest  :)
  •  

Naari

Quote from: Vexing on January 11, 2011, 01:18:18 AM
My statements on here are always my opinion. Also, note my caveat of 'probably'.
My evidence is the fact that despite trans people being in existence for thousands of years, a solution other than some form of transition has not been found.

Trans people have indeed been in existence for thousands of years. I doubt anyone could have interviewed all of them to see if anyone was able to live a successful life without transitioning. Thank you for clarifying.
  •  

CaitJ

Quote from: Naari on January 11, 2011, 01:33:52 AM
Trans people have indeed been in existence for thousands of years. I doubt anyone could have interviewed all of them to see if anyone was able to live a successful life without transitioning.

I'm sure that they would have passed on the secret should they have discovered it; there are many countries with unbroken lineages of third gender people (such as Kathoey, Hijra and Fa'afafine). It's interesting that in all these cultures, a form of transition is still the best (and only) solution.
  •  

Davina9

Quote from: interalia on January 11, 2011, 01:23:30 AM

As a retired senior who has battled  GID my entire life I wholeheartedly concur with the above.  Although  I believe transition would probably  relieve me of  the anguish and torment  of   living  with GID, which certainly would make me a  happier person,  I still am not prepared to risk losing those   who I hold near and dear (my children and grandchildren) so   I struggle on. In my case what does makes the fight easier is that  I'm   blessed with a supportive and understanding wife.

I know I'm not the only senior in this predicament so for myself and the many others I can only hope your research is successful.  I believe those of us born in the thirties, forties and fifties are probably more fearful of the cost of transition than younger transsexuals which seems to me  is entirely understandable given the attitude of society towards transsexualism  in that time period.
  •  

AubreyRenee

I'm going to couch this by saying that I agree fully with what you're saying here. Transition is a last-ditch effort that should be reserved until no other option is viable. The first two years of transition are particularly difficult and often come at great cost. (It cost me three jobs, one parent, and a serious relationship, but I'm starting to make a return on my investment, so to speak.) If you can possibly avoid it, by all means avoid it.

As for surviving bouts of GID I absolutely recommend expressing yourself in whatever limited capacity you can. This is not a case analogous to a recovering alcoholic -- crossdressers report intense relief upon expressing their feminine side. Find a safe space to let it out and do it - if not, the feeling will well up and wreck havoc on the other facets of your life.

That being said, I've popped by the non-op part of this forum a few times and keep seeing your name and this thread come up. Avoiding the GID issue is perfectly healthy, but if the avoidance becomes a driving force in one's life it may be time to reevaluate the purpose for avoiding the issue. The echo chamber doesn't take into account past history, after all, and that's of vital importance in a non-op thread. I've read your blog and understand your position - in fact, I think I still have your contact info in my gchat window somewheres - but I worry.

I spent four years fighting GID after a stunted first attempt to transition. In doing so I dragged a long-term girlfriend through the mud and left her emotionally drained and broken, cheated on her with men, went through life in a depressed haze, lost a job because I was too distracted by GID to function, and generally was a miserable excuse for a man. Yes, transition broke a lot of things. But looking back they were things that were never built on solid ground to begin with. I never liked women, but dated them to help allay GID. (I was a user.) I didn't like being macho, but did it to make myself feel masculine. I knew I liked guys, so I sneaked around my girlfriend's back to be with them and felt disgusting afterward. I knew I couldn't be a girl, and spent a good deal of time and meditation trying to avoid the fact that transition was just a few phone calls away, all the time. All tenets of a life that could have been avoided had I just listened to the screaming baby.

Taking the baby analogy you've put forth a bit further, some parents fear letting the baby grow up. Perhaps the baby will grow to display the mistakes of the parents in all their glory; perhaps the baby will have learning deficiencies that will limit the baby's future; perhaps the baby may be bullied or harassed and the parents feel powerless to protect their darling child. The response is to rein the baby in on a tight leach, never allowing it to explore, to grow, to fall into itself. THe baby cries harder, and the parents wonder why it continues to cry even though they feed it and care for it and love it so much that they would happily die so the baby may never feel a day of suffering.

Babies cry because they have no words to communicate. (Interesting fact of the day: in this regard baby sign has been proven to reduce tantrums because it gives kids a way to communicate simple concepts like "I want milk" or "I'm tired" without resorting to crying.) Calming a crying baby comes down to a simple task: find out what's wrong and fix it, if its fixable. Babies cry because they have no words to tell you otherwise.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, or dislike what you are saying, or anything of the sort. I'm only concerned that you may, as another poster said, be searching for an excuse to snuff the baby out, post after post. I worry that your approach to this may not be healthy. (The fact that you see your GID, post a transition attempt, as that of a recovering alcoholic is distressing, to say the least.) Are you seeing a therapist? not a gender therapist, specifically, but somebody who is monitoring your mental health? There are some things an online forum can only offer suggestions for conquering, and this is most definitely one of them.

(I want to stress that I'm not trying to attack you - I'm just a bit of a mother hen when it comes to people's well-being. Too many people try what you're trying and end up dead; it's better to be cautious and nagging than to be sorry later.)
  •  

Just Kate

This is a pretty old thread.  I don't think my current situation can be accurately judged by the challenges I had back then.

I am vocal here because someone needs to be.  I represent a growing number of people - a voiceless group in a sea of other TS.  I want people to recognize they have a choice in how they deal with their GID.  I don't care what choice they make, just as long as they know they have one.

I haven't seen too many people dead doing what I'm doing.  I have however known several people who are no longer with us who couldn't stand the rigors of transition.  My experience could largely be anecdotal.  Perhaps there is a whole community of people who try to use psychological coping techniques to deal with the psychological pain brought on by their GID who unfortunately kill themselves.  Somehow I doubt it though.

EDIT:
As you've read my blog then you know I did transition.  I stopped it though, started looking for another way to deal with my GID.  I could have been happy as a girl and there are times I miss it, but I have gained a lot by the experience - an understanding of my condition I don't know that I would have gained had I remained female.

I don't avoid my GID, I don't give into either.  I know how it operates, what triggers it and what picks me back up when I'm down.  There are times I'm still surprised, but those are becoming rarer and rarer.

As for if I'm seeing a therapist - I tend to think of myself as pretty mentally healthy so have not had a therapist in over 11 years.  I am looking into one now because I just found out that I have to go back on T, and I worry of any psychological issues that might arise due to that.  A therapist who already knows about me and my choices would be a helpful safety net should the T send me into a funk.

•  

MarinaM

IA, is it a lack of sex hormone (and the risk of Osteo) that has forced you back onto T? Or is it some other condition? I could understand your want to avoid E...
  •  

AbraCadabra

My simple experience is, GID how ever managed during those different stages of life, WILL NOT GO AWAY EVER.
I'm 66 and it can get as VERY bad ever. (Like back at 8 when I was about to cut it off myself)
Plus, I may just have lost the ability to fully transition i.e. not having my planned GRS due to a very expensive brain-op only a few days before planned GRS.

In fact my experience is - it gets worse with age!
I could NOT cope anymore maintaining any form of boy-guise.
It freaked me out. GID at it's worst.
NATURE HAS A WAY TO ASSERT ITSELF. Period.

You can get sort of used to a missing limb, but it will always be missing --- until you find a very good "prosthesis" (neovagina) to practically help you forget it was ever missing - with time.
My example with that good "prosthesis"... will make others ALSO just simply forget there was something amiss, and treat you as if you'd had both your legs always i.e. been female always.

It is this recognition, to be seen and understood as to who we REALLY are. That's this so much needed thing. It just about "evaporates" GID when recognition happens.

Not only being *the girl inside* BUT ALSO OUTSIDE! (MtF)

You can feel it so strongly and immediately, by being simply and normally addressed as Miss or Mrs. so-and-so, and as her and she. Recognized as female, girl, woman.

All in-between is a sort of peg-leg. Yep, it works - of sorts.
But hey babe, you remain one "challenged", even to yourself, yes?

Not to say there are MANY a challenged folks in this world who just never maybe be able to afford or even have any "fix" for their particular condition.
In our case it is transitioning, we know is the fix that works.
"Fully"? Go figure...
Axelle

Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

Just Kate

Quote from: EmmaM on June 25, 2011, 02:18:54 AM
IA, is it a lack of sex hormone (and the risk of Osteo) that has forced you back onto T? Or is it some other condition? I could understand your want to avoid E...

Actually my blood disorder won't allow me to take E anymore, so I will likely have to go back on T for health reasons since I don't produce it anymore.  It is a stressful proposition considering how well E works to limit the effects of my GID.

•