Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Transitioning within the craft

Started by Shenarah, December 05, 2009, 01:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shenarah

Greetings

I have been a witch for around 30 years and received initiation from an Alexandrian coven about 20 years ago after training in that tradition. I eventually reached my 3rd degree when I hived off to start my own coven. This only lasted for a year or so and since then I have worked as a solitary.

During my time with my original coven I announced to them that I was transgendered. They smiled a lot and banished me from the coven, which was hugely upsetting and contributed to me backing off from any notion of transitioning at the time.

I did finally transition in June 2008. Around 6 months later I started to attend a local pagan moot and got friendly with a group of people (all women) who have their own coven. (They are not Dianic as far as I can tell). They accept me as a woman and accept my initiatory status which is good and goes some way towards correcting my negative emotions from way back.

Now I have realised something about my initial training in the craft. I trained as a Priest. Until recently I have not really considered the significance of that and have just started working as a priestess. Now I feel that I have to go back and start my training again and attack the whole thing from a female perspective; almost unlearn what I have learned then re-learn it. Then I feel I really need to get re-initiated as a priestess in order to feel validated.

I don't know if this makes any sense to you as it is something I feel from deep inside but I would welcome your thoughts.

Blessed Be

Shenarah
  •  

cynthialee

Merry Meet Shenarah,
I would not consider the teachings of a Priest to be less than that of a Priestess. Perhaps some refresher might be in order but certainly you should not even consider yourself to be an acceptable Novice/Initiate. Your well versed in the Tradition, did transition melt some of that info away or maybe you have even more to bring to the table as you have been on both sides of the gender coin? I would venture that being Trans is a benifit not a liability. And also any Coven stupid enough to get rid of you simply because you traded your bits in for a newer set is just childish. We are Witches that stradle the gender divide and we can tap the energys of both Goddess and Horned One. (Who other than a >-bleeped-< can invoke the Great Rite on her/his own without a partner and have it actually mean anything to the gods.) To some that is scary and something they can not comprehend or do themselves so we must be banished. Now on the other side...If you find a Coven that embraces you regardless of physical sex and past surgeries you have a keeper.
Good luck and don't discount your knowledge so quickly.

/Hugz
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

Nick Aiden

I completely understand your feeling. I have been into wicca for most of my life and 8+ years before beginning my FTM transition. Everything I learned in those 8 years was still there knowledge wise, but the feeling behind it and in yourself was different. Casting a circle now feels slightly different, because I have a different energy and I am interacting with divinity as a man now.(Woman, in your case)

It is good for me and feels good now. Before the idea of Priestess never excited me but I still was eager to learn and progress. Priest, on the other hand, feels fantastic. It feels Magickal. Everything you do will be better and feel better because you are better when expressing your true self.
  •  

Lisa Howard

Hi Shenarah, and everyone else who has replied to this excellent thread.
Shenarah, to me is seems that you are embarked upon a wonderful and convouluted path as I believe we all are here.
I'm an eclectic Pagan, drawing from mainly the celtic tradition, (my own ancestry) as well as Jungian teachings and well, many other forms.
I'm very much a 'solitary' myself.In the past I have attended several moots and gatherings but, again found there to be too much hierachy ego based divisions and plain bad feeling toward other people.
I would certainly agree with Nick and Cynthialee, you have amassed a lot of valuable knowlege and have many years of practice. Personally I , see this as part of your destiny. Don't be hastey in dis regarding all that you have learned.
I'm pleased you have found a new coven in which you are comfortable. Keep to your path and I wish you well on your path

Blessed be
love & light

Lisa xx
  •  

Shenarah

Hiya

Thanks for the replies. Since I posted this I have gained some useful insight into myself and, with the help of some very special friends, have started to tap into my feminine spirituality. This has helped me in my path and has begun an interesting re-integration for me as a witch and Priestess. My path now seems much clearer.

Blessed Be
  •  

cynthialee

Quote from: Shenarah on January 10, 2010, 02:55:58 PM
Hiya

Thanks for the replies. Since I posted this I have gained some useful insight into myself and, with the help of some very special friends, have started to tap into my feminine spirituality. This has helped me in my path and has begun an interesting re-integration for me as a witch and Priestess. My path now seems much clearer.

Blessed Be
So Cool to hear an update.
Glad to hear you are moving forward.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •