Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Do you live alone?

Started by Hannah, December 07, 2009, 11:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephe

I've lived alone most of my life and really prefer it. Been married and had a live in partner but I never really cared for sharing a house. I have a serious relationship right now and have been dating same guy for 4+ years but we both agreed not to live together. We are fine having our own space. I know some people get lonely but I just have never felt lonely that I can recall my whole life. I have had doggies live with me most of my life, they don't complain :)
  •  

Felix

I live with my 12 year old. I've never lived alone except when I was a teenager and just kinda wandering. I'm frantically looking for roommates at the moment. We're on the edge of homelessness, and paying for an entire apartment for one family is untenable. Lol the last people I met who were willing to rent a room to a guy with bad credit and a preteen girl were really sketched-out looking tweakers. So I'm not sure how well that's going to work out. :P

I like to be alone. Sometimes I'm mean because I never get to be by myself.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Ashazti

I'm recently separated, so now, yes, I do live alone... not liking it much. I like having someone with me.. like the company. I got used to being with someone for the past 14 years, it's hard to suddenly be by yourself. (well, for me anyways.)
  •  

Devlyn

@Renee D, sorry to hear about your Dad. Hugs. I'm a loner, but never alone since I always have dogs. Right now it's me and a yellow lab in a ten room house. Plenty of space to stretch out. Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Biscuit_Stix

I haven't lived alone in so long... I miss it, haha. I lived in a closet (literally) for a few years while I worked my way through college. It was me and 5 other guys, and I stayed in a closet with a bunch of cinder blocks, haha! Then I moved out with my bf, a new bf moved in when that one moved out, and then I had a few roommates over the years... Now I live with my son and husband... and his mother.... Which equals absolute agony, but she's moving out in June (thank the gods...) I can't wait for it to be just the husband and I. I miss living room couch sex, haha!! (after the kid's bed time, of course  ;))
What the hell was that?!                 From every wound there is a scar,
Spaceball 1.                                     and every scar tells a story.
*gasp* They've gone to plaid!        A story that says,
                                                        "I survived."
  •  

Shang

I live alone and I love it.  From January 1st to earlier this month, I lived with my ex fiancé (then fiancé).  However much it was nice to have someone to help with bills and someone to hang out with, I couldn't handle it (for various reasons) and now that I'm single and live alone, I'm so happy.

If I ever enter into a permanent relationship, there's going to need to be lots and lots of room otherwise I'm going to go crazy.  I just need lots of personal space.
  •  

Joelene9

I lived alone since 1983.  GID and shyness are the main culprits.  I didn't date because the women at the time didn't want to associate with anyone that's considered less than a man and I didn't want to put a perfectly good woman through that.  There were a lot of frustrations living alone for so long.  All of those nights I woke up with with my inner voice asking me "Why aren't you married?" and "Where are your children?".  One of the reasons why I harp on you younger ones not to go the same path I went down. 
  Joelene
  •  

Devlyn

My Dad died of lung cancer in 1997. I'm sitting here drinking coffee and looking out the same window he always looked out. He smoked so much this house smelled like cigarettes for years after he passed. I miss him too, here's to our Dads! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

King Malachite

Quote from: Devlyn on March 20, 2012, 06:01:26 AM
My Dad died of lung cancer in 1997. I'm sitting here drinking coffee and looking out the same window he always looked out. He smoked so much this house smelled like cigarettes for years after he passed. I miss him too, here's to our Dads! Hugs, Devlyn

-hugs for Devlyn and Jamie and whoever else I left out
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

pretty pauline

From the time my Mother died till I got married I did live alone, its great independence and does give you your own space, I got married in August 2010, I now live with my Husband. Im now used to my new situation, as a woman and a housewife it does have its advantages having a man about the place to do heavy house chores,  for support and security, the downside, having to clean up after a man, lol.
p
If your going thru hell, just keep going.
  •  

Raya

No! I don't live alone! Where did you hear that?! I live with my ten brothers who all just got back from Iraq! And my 20 Rottweillers! And none of them ever leave my place, ever!

But seriously, I've been alone ever since I could afford it. I simply can't stand being that close to people and trust me, you can't stand being that close to me: I like to get up before six in the morning; I can't sleep unless the house is completely silent and dark; I don't watch TV and I simply can't relax with one blaring at me; and I simply cannot stand other people's filth!

Oh, and for most of my life, I was a closet "'man' who liked to wear women's clothing" living in a place with more cows than people...

When romance is involved, though, I do a complete 180. Things that disgusted me before suddenly become things I find "just so darn cuuuuuuuute about you"... So maybe it won't be forever.

•  

patstar

Quote from: Virginia87106 on December 08, 2009, 03:14:30 PM
I live alone with my 2 cats, who are excellent company, by the way: very low maintenance ---those cats.
I vacillate between being content being alone, and wondering if I could make it with a partner again.  There is alot to be said to only have to answer for one person (me), and have my days and nights free to do what I wish.
But sometimes the house seems very large and empty, and my bed feels barren of life and love.
But I have learned the lessons of not rushing out to find someone to fill the space, and to wait on someone the universe shall bring in its perfect timing.

Lol, my situation is almost entirely the same.  At times my cats are even too much company.  (Indeed, as I write my older male cat Sammy, who is almost human at times, is tapping me on the arm wanting something.  He does this at least a half a dozen times day.)  Don't get me wrong, lol, they're great; but it does often become lonely and empty.  It's been a long time since I've been comfortable with people.  It's probably high time to change that; but the situation would have to be just right.

Well wishes to all. Patrice
  •  

justmeinoz

Currently living by myself, and have done for the last five years or so.   I am alone, but not lonely, and am happy that way for now.  I have Uni, my friends and my other interests, so am content for the moment.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

niamh

I live with my wife in an apartment, just the two of us. I could never again live with any others. I used to live in student homes when at uni and hated it.
  •  

Lee

I'm back with my parents.  We get along well, but it will be nice to have my own space again.  I also miss being able to hang out in my boxers.  :-X
Oh I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love

A blah blog
http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,365.0.html
  •  

Cindy

It was a discussion point with my therapist that was I 'hiding' by living alone. I didn't and don't think so. Thoughts?
  •  

patstar

Quote from: Cindy James on March 31, 2012, 01:59:31 AM
It was a discussion point with my therapist that was I 'hiding' by living alone. I didn't and don't think so. Thoughts?

My thought--and I can only speak for myself--is I am hiding by living alone, to a lesser or greater extent; and also not socializing.  Yet I feel this is justified to some degree at this point in time: pretty much the mid point (which I feel for me is an awkward point) in my transition.  Although I do believe (hope?) that I shall be ready to step out someday, which I don't think is too far off now, and really have something special to give/share when I do.  Thank you Cindy for getting me to articulate this.  :)
Well wishes to all. Patrice
  •  

King Malachite

Quote from: Cindy James on March 31, 2012, 01:59:31 AM

Perhaps it can be seen as escaping
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

AbraCadabra

Yes, I do live alone, - these day.
Not quite to my choosing. Yet when I have to live with others 24/7 it makes me remember how that all can become quite stressful.

People have habits... include me, they do not always converge - can become a real pain in the neck. I don't even want to start mentioning some of those unmentionables...

It's good to recall that when one feels lonesome...

Axélle
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

shortNsweet

I've never lived alone. I lived with my parents for the first 24 years. I moved out a month ago and now have an apartment with my girlfriend.
  •