Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Started by AmySmiles, December 26, 2009, 10:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmySmiles

I just saw this movie and I'm still digesting it.  Easily, *easily* in my top 5.  I highly recommend it for the visuals alone (and the 3D is worth the extra couple dollars!), but I just loved everything about it.  Amazing amazing movie. *already waiting for the director's cut on blue-ray*

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  •  

Lachlann

I loved it. Story was a bit weak but I really enjoyed it as a whole, even if the concepts(the art) weren't all interesting.

I almost cried several times because it reminded me of being transgender in a way.
Don't be scared to fly alone, find a path that is your own
Love will open every door it's in your hands, the world is yours
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers will unfold
What are you waiting for, spread your wings and soar
  •  

AmySmiles

QuoteI almost cried several times because it reminded me of being transgender in a way.

I definitely know what you mean, I feel the same way and I did cry.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.   :)

Yeah, the story's angle has been done before - but I loved the new take on it.  And the planet was so cool  :)  I'm probably just all bubbly with excitement because the movie made me feel good inside, but I just wanted to be there on that planet, you know?  So beautiful.
  •  

june bug

Being a tall skinny, androgyne chica, I have to say... bring on the 10 foot tall alien women!  :D
  •  

Miniar

I love movies for the story, not the "prettyness"... so I know I'm gonna be disappointed with this one... but :/ I still want to go see it!

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

june bug

Quote from: Miniar on December 27, 2009, 06:59:50 AM
I love movies for the story, not the "prettyness"... so I know I'm gonna be disappointed with this one... but :/ I still want to go see it!

I personally loved the story.

Truth be told, I downloaded a cam version and haven't seen it in the theaters yet, because I wanted to see if I'd appreciate the story before spending money on the spectacle.

Needless to say I was overwhelmed by the narrative and now am thrilled to get the full experience in the theaters! (just as soon as the x-mas hype dies down... I hate seeing movies in crowded theaters with noisy people)
  •  

Janet_Girl

I will have to wait till it hits DVD.  A) Can not afford going out, and B) I don't know how to download not so copyrighted movies.  My step son did, but I never learned how.

Janet
  •  

Virginia87106

I found the special effects quite stunning.  The colors were so vivid and the landscapes breathtaking, and the transitions from human reality to pandora were seamless.
I too found the plot simplistic, but the visuals and the characterizations built up the emotions so that the viewer cared about the characters.
  •  

myles

pretty much agree with Virginia, special effects were awesome, story line thin but characters more interesting. Only thing about renting it is not sure you would get the whole effects thing on a standard TV.
Myles
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived"
  •  

Syne

I was going to wait until it was out on vid but a friend who saw it is insisting that I go to see it in 3d. May even kidnap me to do it or send me out with his wife who also has not seen it yet.
  •  

Lachlann

Quote from: Syne on December 29, 2009, 05:51:56 AM
I was going to wait until it was out on vid but a friend who saw it is insisting that I go to see it in 3d. May even kidnap me to do it or send me out with his wife who also has not seen it yet.
I think it's worth seeing in 3d. It's not as interesting without.
Don't be scared to fly alone, find a path that is your own
Love will open every door it's in your hands, the world is yours
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers will unfold
What are you waiting for, spread your wings and soar
  •  

Just Kate

Saw it IMAX in 3D and WOW!  Best looking thing I've ever seen.  Most of the concepts have been used (recently) and the story is very straight forward, but the movie does an EXCELLENT job making the most of what it does have.

I really loved it and would see it again.
Ill no longer be defined by my condition. From now on, I'm just, Kate.

http://autumnrain80.blogspot.com
  •  

Silver

Just saw it.

The story wasn't really the point so much as the bond you (and that guy) are supposed to form with the Na'vi. And they did a great job. And the graphics were excellent, too bad I didn't have my glasses with me.

Another person who almost cried here.
  •  

AweSAM!

I had to go see it twice, it was so good. The first time in English, the second in French. I'm glad James Cameron gives the story a very strong moral message against plundering other lands for resources against the will of its inhabitants (many people don't see it, and then claim the movie is racist???). In essence, it is a thinly disguised allusion to the modern day actions of the USA/other Western nations. It's good to see a Canadian filmmaker do so well internationally. Watching it in 3D is the only way to go! I'm not really into sci-fi, or seeing movies twice in theatre, but this was quite the exception.

Story line of Pocahontas Avatar:  :D
http://9gag.com/photo/16103_full.jpg

xhesobelongstome

this movie.
rocked our socks off like nobodies business.

the only thing is.. that i wanted to.. be one.. you know?
they were just so beautiful and strong and confident.
yay.
  •  

Kohaku

I have now seen Avatar twice once in 2D and once 3D. The effects were mind blowing. And well... I loved every second off it.
  •  

kisschittybangbang

I agree with I'm Eli... I walked out of the theater with a weird urge to go diving into a pool of blue dye.
  •  

Autumn

My former partner and I saw it a few weeks ago. The trans similarities really hit me hard some times. She didn't even think about it til I brought it up. It gave me a lot to think about... but then we got into a stupid misunderstanding and it scattered all my thoughts.

I still need to see it in 3d.
  •  

FairyGirl

I've seen it twice and cried both times. I love this movie. I heard some people in the States actually complained that it was anti-religious. I thought it was one of the most religious movies I've ever seen. Incredible, breath taking, awe inspiring. I definitely agree the 3D version is the best.
Girls rule, boys drool.
If I keep a green bough in my heart, then the singing bird will come.
  •  

Cadin

I saw Avatar on Christmas day with Susan.  We chose to see the film in 3-D.  I loved it!  I thought it was an excellent film.  I won't mind seeing it again.
  •