Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Started by AmySmiles, December 26, 2009, 10:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osiris

I saw Avatar awhile back, not in 3D since my lack of depth perception makes 3D never work.

Great movie though. Can't wait for it to come out on DVD. :P
अगणित रूप अनुप अपारा | निर्गुण सांगुन स्वरप तुम्हारा || नहिं कछु भेद वेद अस भासत | भक्तन से नहिं अन्तर रखत
  •  

Walter

I haven't seen it. It looks epic though

People say my avatar on another forum I'm on looks like one of the Na'vi
  •  

Miniar

The more I hear about it, the less I want to see it.
Still do though, I'll just grab it as a free rental with a pizza when I do.

The story is a Disney's Pocahontas clone.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Osiris

Luckily I never saw Pocahontas. :D
अगणित रूप अनुप अपारा | निर्गुण सांगुन स्वरप तुम्हारा || नहिं कछु भेद वेद अस भासत | भक्तन से नहिं अन्तर रखत
  •  

AmySmiles

Quote from: Miniar on January 31, 2010, 07:37:16 AMThe story is a Disney's Pocahontas clone.

Well to be fair there really aren't a lot of original storylines left.  If you take a new movie, write down the basic plot, and change the characters and locations... well, let's just say there's a good chance it will match up to the general plot of another movie.  People did the same thing with Harry Potter vs. Star Wars.

I don't think the plot was supposed to be the selling point though.  Just imagine you're the director - you are about to make the new most expensive movie ever, it is going to be about computer generated 9 foot tall blue aliens that are believably combined with live action, and you are going to make it 3D and use a lot of technology that is brand new at the time you start on it.  Why risk all that money and effort on a completely new and unique plot idea too?  It's not like the pattern hasn't been followed before either... the plot is also similar to Dances with Wolves, The Last Samurai, Fern Gully off the top of my head.

Sure, it may not be the BEST PLOT EVAR, but if you're choosing not to see it because of that Pocahontas essay, I just really think that's a stupid reason not to see a movie (and especially one that I'm sure is much better in a theater than it will be on a TV).  /end soapbox
  •  

tekla

Gene Roddenberry when he finally got the chance to pitch Star Trek to Lucy, who ran Desilu while Ricky was out chasing skirt, walked into her office and was told by Lucy, "In one sentence."  "Wagon Train to the Stars" was his answer.  Every plot - this included, which is the Western Frontier narrative writ large - has been done.

What Camron was trying to do though I'm sure was not Disneyesque, but rather just about every other John Ford movie, with GCI instead of Monument Valley.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Hannah

I went to see it because I wish Sigourney Weaver was my real mommy, no more or less. I had never seen a 3-d movie before and I sat there with my mouth open like an idiot through most of it.
  •  

Syne

Finally saw the movie. The story was nothing special and the characters are pretty one dimensional. I saw it @ an IMAX theatre in 3d and it was very pretty. Last 3D movie I saw was when Parasite was on the big screen.
  •