Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Science Fiction Short Stories

Started by arbon, December 27, 2009, 12:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arbon

I love science fiction short stories....especially ones that touch on transgender themes.

One story I re-read last night is called: "In the Quake Zone" by David Gerrold. It is published in the Years Best Science Fiction 23rd Annual edition.

Anyone know of other good science fiction short stories that touch on the topic of transgender?

•  

Tammy Hope

"All You Zombies" by Hienlien - if you can find it.

It was published in the 50's and the collection it appeared in is out of print.

Check around for a collection titled "6 x H"

Disclaimer: due to serious injury, most of my posts are made via Dragon Dictation which sometimes butchers grammar and mis-hears my words. I'm also too lazy to closely proof-read which means some of my comments will seem strange.

http://eachvoicepub.com/PaintedPonies.php
  •  

Arch

Quote from: Laura Hope on December 27, 2009, 10:24:31 PM
"All You Zombies" by Hienlien - if you can find it.

It's free online now. Just type in "all you zombies" (as a phrase) and "heinlein." You'll find some free versions. I love this story. I think it's brilliant.

See if you can turn up some short story collections by John Varley. He's written a few things that you might like. "Picnic on Nearside" is in Picnic on Nearside. "Retrograde Summer" is in The Persistence of Vision. "Options" is in Blue Champagne. I don't know if any of these books are still in print or if any of the stories are in other collections.

There's a lot of gender-switching in Tanith Lee's Don't Bite the Sun and Drinking Sapphire Wine. These are books, but they are short, easy reads--on the level of young adult fiction, but great fun. I read them fifty zillion times when I was still a teenager.

James Tiptree, Jr. played with gender a lot, and there's an award named after him for fiction that plays with gender. I suggest you look up the site and start working your way through the winners and honorable mentions. There must be some trans stories in there somewhere, although I'm not sure if any are short fiction.

If you go to the science fiction and fantasy section of Amazon Books and further narrow by "transgender," a few likely-looking hits come up. I have one of the books they list--The Future Is Queer--but I haven't read it yet.

I've run across other stories but can't think of them offhand. It's been too long...
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •