Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Taoism

Started by Dana_W, December 29, 2009, 10:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana_W

Are there any other adherents or students of Taoism around here (I'm the latter)?

I was originally attracted to the belief by the book, The Tao of Pooh (Yes that means Winnie the Pooh. Seriously... It's an excellent primer!). Then I spent a number of years studying the Tao de Ching on occasions when I felt spiritual emptiness.

After a period of attempting to "cure" myself with a more traditional Western religion, I've come back to Taoism as something that feels true and fulfills my spiritual needs. Any one else in a similar place?

•  

tekla

I like the Tao Te Ching, it is, like the philosophy it extols, flexible.  But I think of it as a spiritual guide, a philosophy, a book of collected wisdom, but not a religion.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

FairyGirl

I relate to Taoism more than anything else I suppose; it's a very fairy way of looking at things. ;) It's the way of viewing the world and a way of life that makes the most sense to me. Also because it's tenets seem to ring true in everyday life. Another book by Benjamin Hoffs is the Te of Piglet, another good introductory book on the Tao.

What really got me interested was reading one of the books by Alan Watts. I had an epiphany one day over the passage that says basically the Tao contains everything, there is nowhere you can go where it is not and nothing that you can think of that isn't a part of it. This made me realize that included me too, and it really didn't matter if you were Christian or Muslim or Jew or Wiccan or Pagan or Fairy or whatever- every single thing is connected to everything else and to worship or respect any part of it is to worship and respect the whole. To me that idea sort of transcends the notion that there must only be one specific path to God/dess, which also makes more sense if such a "being" actually exists. To borrow a line from Robert Heinlein, "Thou Art God." You and me both.
Girls rule, boys drool.
If I keep a green bough in my heart, then the singing bird will come.
  •  

Dana_W

Re Tekla's comment: "I think of it as a spiritual guide, a philosophy, a book of collected wisdom, but not a religion."

I don't disagree. But is there a difference for you between these things and the role you need a religion to play in your life? Cuz that's about all I need.

Re FairyGirl's comment: "I had an epiphany one day over the passage that says basically the Tao contains everything, there is nowhere you can go where it is not and nothing that you can think of that isn't a part of it. This made me realize that included me too..."

Yup, yup! Figuring out life the world and everything AND your place in it.... and it doesn't matter if your life choices are outside of traditional norms. Within Taoism, you can still speak to that. And (for me at least) it still resonates with truth and connection to the world around you.
  •  

tekla

I think that physics plays the role in my life that a lot of people look to religion for.  And in physics I can find the Tao.  It's all about balance and not setting up resistance where none needs to be found.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Dana_W

Quote from: tekla on December 30, 2009, 12:39:34 AM
I think that physics plays the role in my life that a lot of people look to religion for.  And in physics I can find the Tao.  It's all about balance and not setting up resistance where none needs to be found.
You sound like a Taoist to me.  ;)
  •  

Lisa Howard

I agree with Diana_W here
I've studied Taoism for around 4 years and I must say that it has led me on an amazing path since. I first came to descover Taoism, again when I picked up a series of books by the author 'Barefoot Doctor (Stephen Russel) who describes himself as a modern 'waywood' Taoist, and writes in a modern context with some very dry humor.
I too see Taoism as a philosophy, In terms of religion I'm an eclectic Pagan.

Lisa xx
  •