Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

The pink dress: a story of pure awesome

Started by aerosolchild, January 31, 2010, 02:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerosolchild

http://www.cookiemag.com/homefront/2008/01/pinkboys?currentPage=1

This is a bit old, but I happened across it today when I needed a bit of happy, and thought I'd pass it along :)
"Young Sam demands to wear a dress to school, forcing his parents to make a decision: protect him from ridicule or cultivate his self-expression?"
  •  

spacial

Thanks.

I enjoyed that story.

Hopefully, it will become a reality for all children soon.
  •  

LordKAT

If that only happened my neck of the woods. Here parents are teaching kids to be cruel and lazy. The kids have a sense of entitlement beyond being allowed to express themselves.
  •  

Janet_Girl

That is so cute, and Mom handled it quite well.  You go, Sam!  ;D
  •  

aerosolchild

The last paragraph is my favorite, I think.

"And how did I feel about the experiment? Well, next week is tie-dye week at school. The class parent in charge of ordering the clothes (T-shirts for the boys, dresses for the girls) called to ask if I wanted a T-shirt or a dress for Sam. Touched by her thoughtfulness, I thought I would give Sam the same consideration she had, so I let him decide.

It looks like there will soon be two dresses in Sam's closet."

:D
  •  

Fenrir

That was indeed a story of pure awesome. Made me smile, anyway!  ^-^
  •  

spacial

I've been having a think about this story.

My reply in #1 bothered me when I wrote it and still does.

Look at the opening picture. Small boy, shorts, pink dress.

No, Small stocky boy. Quite thick set. Rolled up sleeves, skull and cross bones logo, grey socks and dirty sport shoes.

Try to imagine the rest of that boy. The sort of boy being protrayed here. He's a boys boy. He's the sort of boy who stand up for himself, argues with his pals about who hit the ball farthest.

That dress isn't a dress at all. It's a flimsey piece of nylon gauze.

5 year old boys are not all stocky. I and I suspect, most boys like us, and most boys generally, are small, quite thin and kinda shy and unsure.

The dress I longed for wasn't a flinsey piece of nylon gauze. It was a proper dress. I didn't want shorts under. I wanted underpants, girl's underpants. I wanted white socks and some black shiney shoes, perhaps with a buckle. I wanted to be feminine, like my friends. I wanted to be allowed to play with my friends without someone telling me, Boys don't play with girls.

That picture is making a statement, This is a normal boy who will one day, grow up into a fine young man, have lots of girl friends, fight for his country and become a famous doctor.

This is a statement saying, OK, our boy is rather odd, but he's otherwise normal and one day we can be proud of him in a way that we are not right now.

I'm not even going to start on the text.

I apologise for my last response and also to any who disagree. I hope you will say you do.

•  

Allamakee

Spacial, I think you are being too hard on yourself.  I'm not sure the photo is of the boy described in the article.  The photo boy appears to be older than five years in age. 

And the article, although it doesn't describe the dress worn to school in any detail, does mention that it was an embroidered sundress, and thus unlikely to be gauzy.  The article doesn't mention the dress being being worn over shorts, or a shirt covering the dress.  I suspect the photo, deliberately unfeminine, was chosen to put the audience at ease.  The website seems to be a mainstream "family" site, aimed at mothers raising children.  I think the editors didn't want to scare their audience by depicting a boy in a dress who looked questionably female.
  •  

spacial

I tend to agree, after thinking again.

The article popped into my mind while I was out back. I got a bit annoyed at how they'd tried to sanitize it with that terrible image.

But after writing #7 I thought again and tend to agree with your assessment.

In reality, it's a small start in the right direction. But it's a start at least. If this can go some way to saving future generations from so many problems and family breakdowns then it can only be a positive thing.
  •