Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Would the World be Better Off Without Any Trans People?

Started by Allamakee, February 11, 2010, 05:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BunnyBee

I am glad proud transpeeps exist, I would never choose this path for myself though.

But since this is my reality, I'll choose to find a way to be positive about it.
  •  

tekla

Well, since the question asked if the world would be better off without ANY such people, and since I'm one such person, and since the world is much better place with me in it - then the answer has to be NO across the board.  All it takes is one person to disprove it, and there are far more than one.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

BunnyBee

I must disagree.  You forgot about the other side of the ledger.  I mean I alone make up for all bad things trans people have ever done. It's a proven fact. :P
  •  

PanoramaIsland

Quote from: Vision on February 12, 2010, 08:43:02 AM
Disease = "dis-ease" .... definitely that way for me.

Would I have been much happier being born female and getting to grow up that way?  Damn straight I would have.

For those of you who embrace it, thats great and I am truly happy for you.  But I just cant.  If I could have been changed in the womb, it would have saved a lot of people -- especially me -- a whole lot of pain.

::Shrugs::

Just my opinion on what would have been right for me.

I feel that pain, believe me. I've attempted suicide multiple times, simply because I saw no way out - I couldn't stand the idea of being an isolated gender minority all my life, but I couldn't deny it or "cure" it. But the fact is that I have also been strengthened by it, and I have unique insights on life that I, like other trans people, have been able to garner by climbing that massive, imposing gender mountain. Just as the world needs adventurers to go to the jungle and deep into the Marianas Trench so that we can learn more about the planet we live on and how we should relate to it, I feel that the world also needs us - gender explorers. It's not easy, but hey - at least the scenery is colorful along the way.  ;D
  •  

Alyssa M.

Quote from: Dawn D. on February 12, 2010, 10:49:10 AM

Actually, I think it may suck worse to be "normal". I am not a bit unhappy with who I am, yet I see a lot of unhappiness with "normal people". ;)

Dawn

Maybe; I couldn't say since I've never been "normal" ...  but that dosen't change the decades of self-hatred on account of my being trans in this society. I think I can safely say that counts as "sucking." I'm quite happy with who I am; I just don't buy into the notion of felix culpa.
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

Dawn D.

Alyssa,

QuoteMaybe; I couldn't say since I've never been "normal" ...  but that dosen't change the decades of self-hatred on account of my being trans in this society

I remember feeling the same as you did and yeah, that did suck. I thought feeling that way was normal; then. Now, if I am considered abnormal, it's okay, I like it! The rest of society can stuff "normal".

Religious dogma is not my cup-O-tea either. However, I do offer to those that are, when they ask how I can "go against God in being this way"? I simply respond with, "I'm not! This is exactly how I perceive God wanting me to be". Makes me happy! Pisses them off!

Dawn

Dawn
  •  

tekla

I use the same argument about being agnostic.  Hey, god made me a doubter, who are you to doubt god?
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Cindy

Most societies celebrate diversity. It is, after all, what makes that society succesful. They will rejoice in artists, creators and free thinkers of all ilks. But once gender diversity is approached it seems to become a taboo subject. I, personally, think that this has to do with a religous mind set. Gender diversity is not such a problem for example in Asia, unless Islamic Taliban is powerful. In Europe the same. In the USA a whole range of tolerance or lack of it is evident. Again it seem a lot is based on religous perspective, Christian Taliban is intolerant of as much as Islamic Taliban.

People, societies, countries and the world evolve. With the Internet we, as a "world" society are evolving in ways our forepeople could not imagine. I think diversity will be more common (this may be an oxymoron :laugh:) but I think we need as humans to accept and adapt. Difficult for many people.

JMO
Cindy
  •  

noeleena

Hi..

Well  as it stands every one is different . to start with . do we all eat the same food ,play the same sport . join the same clubs , & the list can go on .

The answer  would be we have over 80.000 people with in the trans community that we have any idear of     not including many more .

Okay we all have many things that bind us to gether wether female or male yet have so many differences what does that say . we can live to gether  its just a matter of first accepting our selfs for who we are ,
    that to me seems to be the biggest problem ,

Then & only then for others to accept us    haveing said that some people dont & wont accept things that are different . why . take the 2 nd world war & of cause many others,

As to the whys & were fors thats another matter .
  the point is we ...can ...if we wont to ,

All so i do understand why some cant accept differences yet i know first hand with my dealing s with 1000.s of people they can  & they have ,

The understanding of is allso another matter . yet in time people will accept that we are born different & still have that same binding or just being human

...noeleena...
Hi. from New Zealand, Im a woman of difference & intersex who is living life to the full.   we have 3 grown up kids and 11 grand kid's 6 boy's & 5 girl's,
Jos and i are still friends and  is very happy with her new life with someone.
  •  

Alyssa M.

Dawn, I wasn't referring to religious dogma, but speaking metaphorically. Pangloss lives on, often in completely secular contexts, and I would like him to die. All is not for the best, and this is not the best of all possible worlds. Il faut cultiver notre jardin. I prefer cultivating to philosophizing.
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •