Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Selective Service Exemption Letter

Started by Arch, February 21, 2010, 05:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arch

If you are FTM and applied for and received a Selective Service exemption letter, when did you apply, and do you remember how long it took for the letter to arrive?

When I mailed my application some seven weeks ago, I read (somewhere on the SSS site, maybe the actual form that I filled out) that it takes four to six weeks. I figured I should allow an extra week or two because of the holiday backlog and an extra week for mailing time, but I've been getting impatient. I thought I might inquire about the status of my letter, so I went back to the site today. I read that these days it's taking 135 days to get a letter. Either this notice is new or I missed it the first time around.

I guess I should have applied for the exemption earlier, but I had so much going on at the time. Now I want to apply for a Census job, but I need that exemption. I'm kicking myself. Grr.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Adio

I'm not legally male yet so I can't answer your questions.  However, I plan to apply once I legally change my federal (social security) gender marker.

I'm sure you're aware that ftms ("those who are born female and have had a sex change", according to the selective service FAQ) are not required to register.  All federal jobs, that I know of, have three questions that go something like this:

a.  Are you a [legal] male born after December 31, 1959?     yes     no    If no, skip parts b and c.
b.  Have you registered with the Selective Service System?     yes     no     If no, go to c.
c.  If 'no', describe your reason(s) in item #n.

If push comes to shove, answer yes, no, and then explain your situation:  persons assigned female at birth are not required to register and you've applied for your SIL.  It may or may not work for you.  When I did my paperwork for the government position I was "applying" for (hospital clinicals), they were all very understanding and helped me fill everything out appropriately despite it being a rural area.

Feel free to ignore me if you know all of this already or if you are completely stealth.
  •  

Arch

You guessed it, Adio. I don't want to divulge the reason I have an exemption, if indeed the exemption comes through. I'm living as stealth as I can.

The Census app only asks if I'm registered. If I'm not, I have to explain further down in the app. I'm not going to out myself. I'm not comfortable with that.

I have a buddy (trans) who works for the Census Bureau in the same city I do, and he says that they absolutely will not hire me till I produce an exemption letter.

•  

JakeDenver

You are correct. They will not hire you without your letter. I mailed my form in and it only took about 4 to 5 weeks to get my letter back. I got it yesterday. I would try to get a hold of someone at SS. I have to fax my letter to the census tomorrow.
  •  

myles

Was just checking out the site. Can someone confirm that I read correctly and if you are over 26 you do not have to register?
Myles
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived"
  •  

Adio

No one may register after their 26th birthday.   If you are 26+, you can still apply for the SIL though.

If you go to the transequality website, under their resources there is a pdf document about the selective service and how it impacts transgender individuals.
  •  

V M

I wouldn't worry about it much... The likely hood of getting drafted is pretty slim in the U.S....

If you want to join up... Go see a recruiter

Yes, I registered when I was 18
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

myles

I guess I should go read about it some more. There were some exception about veterans having a DD214 so I will check that out. Having already served in the military, but it was under my old name but same SSN.
I will research more.
Thanks Myles
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived"
  •  

sneakersjay

I don't remember the time frame.  I do remember I forgot to enclose the pertinent documentation (duh!) so it came back for that. 

It sits in my safe with my other transition-related papers.

Jay

•  

Radar

I'm not sure of your age but I thought all men were exempt from being drafted after the age of 35. Did that change with the wars starting?
"In this one of many possible worlds, all for the best, or some bizarre test?
It is what it is—and whatever.
Time is still the infinite jest."
  •  

LordKAT

You can't volunteer for service if 35 or older either.  I tried registering, it never happened apparently.
  •  

sneakersjay

Quote from: Radar on February 22, 2010, 01:32:44 PM
I'm not sure of your age but I thought all men were exempt from being drafted after the age of 35. Did that change with the wars starting?

I believe you are.

But if registering for the selective service was required at the time you were of the proper age (if you were male then), now that we are above that certain age, and are male, if someone looks and we did NOT register (like we should have if we were male then) it can be a problem for student loans and other things.  Not worded properly but blame that on my lack of sleep!

Jay

•  

Radar

So if we're not legally male until after 35 we shouldn't really worry? I'm assuming as long as you don't go for a student loan or apply for a government job?
"In this one of many possible worlds, all for the best, or some bizarre test?
It is what it is—and whatever.
Time is still the infinite jest."
  •  

sneakersjay

Quote from: Radar on February 22, 2010, 03:52:53 PM
So if we're not legally male until after 35 we shouldn't really worry? I'm assuming as long as you don't go for a student loan or apply for a government job?

No idea.  I still have outstanding student loans so wanted to cover my bases, just in case.

Jay

•  

Adio

Quote from: Radar on February 22, 2010, 03:52:53 PM

Like I said above, no one (cisgender or transgender, male assigned at birth or female assigned at birth, whatever) after age 26 can register with selective service.  If you need to apply for student loans or do anything government related though, you should get a SIL.  Otherwise, no, it shouldn't really matter.
  •  

JakeDenver

If i could give anyone any bit of advice once you are male on your license or on any documentation just cover your but and get your letter from the selective service. You never know where life may lead you. And when you do apply for the documentation attach a copy of any document you can think of. I got mine back quick but I think it may have had to do with me sending like 4 documents with it to prove everything.
  •  

Arch

Quote from: JakeDenver on February 22, 2010, 05:34:03 PM
I got mine back quick but I think it may have had to do with me sending like 4 documents with it to prove everything.

Hunh. I included extra documentation as well because I wanted to be sure that all my bases were covered. Maybe your case was more urgent or less complicated? Well, maybe I'll give them till the end of the month. Maybe.

BTW, the cutoff year is now 1960. If you were born 1960 or later, are now legally male with the feds, are twenty-six or over, and have never registered, you really ought to apply for an exemption letter. I think it's best to get the exemption just in case. As Jake said, you never know where life will take you.

ETA: Jake, I see that you're twenty-one. It could be that your case was expedited because of your age.

•  

Adio

Quote from: Kvall on February 22, 2010, 07:59:34 PM
It does matter. Directly from the Selective Service government website:

Legally this is a gray area, because not having an exemption letter means you can be fined and/or jailed, but proving you are FTM would be all it would take to get the charges dropped. Who wants to deal with those kind of charges, though? I would recommend the exemption letter.

I think I've made my points clear.  Please show the transman who has been jailed/fined for not having an SIL and I'll gladly back down.
  •  

Nero

I just sent mine in yesterday. Arch, did you ever get yours back?
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

LordKAT

How do I get the form to ask for an exemption letter and what documents do they need?
  •