Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

PLANTS ^.^

Started by bellbell, April 24, 2010, 05:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellbell

heya all :P  (sorry if this is the wrong section....but plants can be pet too! :P you gota feed them an water them an talk to them so they'll be happy :P)

im growing some plants and though hmm....i should post on Susans! ^.^ so hear i am!

im growing a buncha stuff :P some i dont even know what it is, but hears what i thinks i got!

chives(for sure)
parsly(pretty sure)
tarragon(99% sure)
lemongrass (for sure)
lemonbalm (for sure)
i think theres 2 or 3 other things, but i have no idea, and if so, theyre not sprouting yet :P

i got the chives an parsly and like 2 other things in one pot, their growing good. i keep them on the porch which gets good sun in the early day then shade in the hottest part of our desert day.

i water them when ever the soil gets dry or mostly dry, which hear is about every day/other day

i give them a homemade supplement i made out of crushed garlic supplement pills, green tea w/ ginger tea bags and jasmine pearl teabags. its kinda fermented now but i think it accualy works better :P stinks baaaaad though (this coming from some one who loves the smell of tea, garlic, and jasmine). i spray this on about every 5-8 days, give or take a day or two, only when they need watering though, cuz i spray it on then water them so that 1: the water helps it seep into the soil(its in a spray bottel so i mist it on) and 2: so that it washes off the leaves.

iv got another pot of seeds going, but they havnt sprouted yet, i started them not too long ago. these ones are the lemongrass and lemon balm. i had some of this growing earlyer but it died cuz i had them in a diffrent place that got full sun alot of the day, and they burned an dryed out when i was away, i was pretty upset :/ all good now though!

i talk to them every day :P (not crazy, the CO2 and love helps! better than just breathing on them :P)

ILL HAVE PICS UP SOON! ^.^

"
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

-- The Dalia Lama
  •  

V M

There is a garden area at my apt.s

I'm generally the only one who does much of anything with it

Some of the other tenants talk about doing something, but that tends to translate to wanting me to do everything for them while they rob my stuff

Not sure what all I'm planting this year
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

spacial

One of my main joys in life is growing stuff on my allotment.

I rent it from the local council for small beans by the year.

I have about 16 fruit trees and regularly grow a load of different veg.

Since everything tends to be ready about the same time, I usually give it away to neighbours, especially those with children.

My main fertiliser is composted veg with very stale urine poured over. The urine, when stale has a lot of amonia so provides a lot of nitrogen.
  •  

bellbell

Quote from: Virginia Marie on April 24, 2010, 06:17:33 PM
There is a garden area at my apt.s

I'm generally the only one who does much of anything with it

Some of the other tenants talk about doing something, but that tends to translate to wanting me to do everything for them while they rob my stuff

Not sure what all I'm planting this year

thats what we got hear pretty much. the guy down the street(the only street lol...its a row of houses basicly in the middle of litterly no where :P) has a pretty large (for our community) garden. when the goods come out every ones down to get freebies, but when it comes to working, only me an my mom offer :/ usualy we do the potatoes/onions :P he grows eggplant, LOTSA corn lol, potatoes, onions, lotsa kindsa peppers, hes growing some herbs on my behalf plus some he already had, squash, strawberrys, lemons, artichokes, kale, and each year he grows something new, like turnips or radishes or w/e

its great for me since im a vegitarian(going vegan ^.^) so i always help when i can, water the plants when hes away, and the most important part of all(acording to him) eat the vegis up before they go bad :P yum yum eggplant!

Post Merge: April 25, 2010, 12:37:47 PM

Quote from: spacial on April 24, 2010, 06:47:07 PM
One of my main joys in life is growing stuff on my allotment.

I rent it from the local council for small beans by the year.

I have about 16 fruit trees and regularly grow a load of different veg.

Since everything tends to be ready about the same time, I usually give it away to neighbours, especially those with children.

My main fertiliser is composted veg with very stale urine poured over. The urine, when stale has a lot of amonia so provides a lot of nitrogen.

its definatly a special feeling giving life to something :) i love to garden, i needa learn to get better, but im not doing too badly...

quick question, my dad was telling me im sposed to germinate them(which he said is when you put them in amoist paper towel and let them sprout) before planting...is that true? cuz mines are doing pretty ok straight from the ground :p

for the fertilizer...if the nieghbor had a horse id have no probs shoveling out some of the nice ammonia-y dirt an mixing it with some potting soil, but i we dont...and id feel wierd peeing in a bottle to put on the plants  :laugh: 

what do you all think of this stuff i got? i figured garlic for sulfur, tea for...well i dono but it sounded healthy lol

Post Merge: April 25, 2010, 06:20:46 PM

hears those pic! ^.^
"

-- The Dalia Lama
  •  

Janet_Girl

Tea and coffee is great for plants.  The only reason to sprout seeds is to give them a head start.
  •  

bellbell

thankies for the tip janet :) ill add some used grounds to my next batch, im almost out might make it with the remainder of what i got

"

-- The Dalia Lama
  •  

Audrey

I have more plant friends than human friends personally. lol.  I call them my babies. 
  •  

bellbell

they are little babies, you gota take care of 'em, love 'em, and give them lotsa attention :)
"

-- The Dalia Lama
  •  

Silver

I've got some lucky bamboo and one agave-type plant.

Only needs to be watered once every three weeks, can't get water on the leaves (water burn) and it's white with these huge black spikes.
  •  

bellbell

"

-- The Dalia Lama
  •  

bellbell

omgggggggg

sorry i havent gotten back to this in a while, but im hear and exiteeeeed ^.^

i tryed to grow a mango tree, mostly just for the heck of it, but omg its growing! :)

also my parsly and chives are growing as well...the others didnt sprout :/

pics coming!
"

-- The Dalia Lama
  •  

V M

Mmmmmm, I love mango'.... That's so cool you got one growing  ;D
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

bellbell

my mango!

^.^

Post Merge: May 28, 2010, 09:19:51 PM

Quote from: Muffin on May 28, 2010, 10:07:19 PM
Plants are the best I'd love to do chives, so many recipes I have call for it but I always omit it :S I'm just coming out of a season of growing chillies ..

..I had tomatoes before that but I doubt I'll do them again, the bugs just attacked too much and I can't afford to spend on stuff to block them.
I'll no doubt grow some stuff indoors, just heaps and heaps of basil as I'm addicted to basil pesto!
I've been filling my room up with plants,...

...but they are not in the budget any more and I've divided/repotting out of the garden enough all ready! So once I'm working again my jungle shall be a reality!!! ^__^

pestoooo :p <3

my neighbor has a huge garden(its a community garden really, but him and my family do pretty much all the work, cuz other peoples is well...lazy :p [21 person community wewt]) and he planted me a buncha basil and other stuff in his garden last year, the stuffs takin over now :P i made some pesto with it, fresh pesto cant be beat!

Post Merge: May 28, 2010, 10:25:18 PM

http://www.comfycountrycreations.com/bugspray.htm

those look pretty good, hopefuly can help with those pesky buggies!
"

-- The Dalia Lama
  •  

Miniar

I was just outside, in the yard, filling plastic shopping bags with Dandelions I pulled out of the soil with hubby.
We must have filled 15 bags.

Also tended to the strawberries, and tied up the raspberries.
Gotta trim the redcurrant, get fertilizer for the rhubarb and clear out the old flowerbeds cause they're all kinds of overgrown now.

Indoors we got chilies and more strawberries (gonna move my "windowberries" outside soon, so they can... help.. more.. berry.. grow.. something something)...
I'm also trying to get some orange pips going so we can grow a couple orange trees that we'll turn into bonsai trees.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

LordKAT

Hmm, dandelion wine?
  •  

Miniar

Quote from: LordKAT on May 29, 2010, 12:24:04 PM
Hmm, dandelion wine?

No.. just trying to reign 'em in and keep 'em from killing off the lawn and the tulips and the bluebells and the "Mary's foot" and the chives and so on that grows in the yard.

Task of the year with the yard = Get license to fell the five Alaskan aspen trees and use bark-stripping to kill them.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

LordKAT

Good luck, dandelions are notorious.
  •  

Miniar

-.- I know.
We'll be at this for weeks.

•  

bellbell

wow miniar, your hard at work over there :P

i got some more seeds planted today, lemon balm(other lemon balm didnt make it, iv learned from my mistakes), spearmint, and chamomile ^.^ the tea trio :P

ill have more pics up soon, got a nice bit of parsley...chives im not so sure about, theyre kinda whispy looking, not sure if their just not ready or if their not coming in right...any one out there grow chives?

my mango sprout is all perky now, reaching for the sky all happy :p ima get a bigger pot for it so it can root better :)

------------------------
an hears some pics....

first 3 are mango baby and the rest are chives+parsley :P

Post Merge: May 30, 2010, 02:57:53 PM

wow, just checked my old pic of the parsley+chives, theyve grown so much....they grow up so fast ~sniffles an wipes a tear away~
"

-- The Dalia Lama
  •  

Miniar

Mango sprout...
Where'd you get a mango seed? And how'd you germinate it.

We were off in the yard some more today. Another 10 bags of weeds and grass from the horribly overgrown flowerbeds.

•