Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Anything in the Olympia area?

Started by Celia, May 24, 2005, 05:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celia

I live about 20 miles south of Olympia (WA), and I've been trying to find something in the Olympia area for some time now, but every lead has come to naught.  I've attended Ingersoll support group meetings, and, although I quite like them, the drive is really beyond the pale.  Something in Tacoma would probably be okay, and something in the Twin Cities would be quite convenient (though I would be utterly amazed to find anything of the sort in that right-wing outland :o ;D).

Yours,
Celia
Only the young die young.
  •  

Susan

Dunno if any of these are active but it's worth a shot.

Emerald City Social Club
PO Box 31318
Seattle, WA 98103
(425) 827-9494

Ingersoll Gender Center
1812 E. Madison, Ste. 106
Seattle, WA 98122
(206) 329-6651
http://www.ingersollcenter.org/
ingersoll@ingersollcenter.org

Papillon
508 W. Second Ave., Spokane, WA 99201
(509) 458-2741
Papillonsg@geocities.com

Snohomish Gender Group
2624 Rockefeller Ave.
Everett, WA
Cora@tsgg.org, Rhonda@tsgg.org, Rachel@tsgg.org

TG Support Group
Olympia, WA
(360) 357-7615 (Catherine)
mjncat@aol.com
Support group for TG/TS and their significant others.

Transsexual Lesbians And Friends (TLF)
Seattle, WA
(206) 292-1037
Group seeks strength through diversity. Significant Others especially urged to attend.

Washington Gender Alliance
PO Box 2261, Bellingham, WA 98227
(360) 671-3358
http://www.washingtongenderalliance.org/
info@washingtongenderalliance.org
Support groups and information dealing with gender identity.

Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

Celia

Thanks, Susan. :)  I've tried the Olympia one you mention, but the email address seems to be invalid, and my phone messages go unanswered (last time I checked, at least - it's actually been a couple of years).  The remainder pretty much require a trip to - or through - Seattle anyway, except for the one in Spokane, which is actually a much longer drive (though I don't know anything about the traffic).

I recently (within the past several weeks) found reference to a Gender Variant Peer Support Group located in Olympia (from what I can tell, anyway).  I sent an email there (it was the only contact offered), but it went unanswered as well.

Update: I've just Googled "Gender Variant Peer Support Group" and found a link with an actual phone number (360-264-7846).  There's hope yet. ;)

Yours,
Celia
  •  

Celia

Dang!  The phone number is invalid as well.  The only remaining info is that it is at 3:00PM Sundays near the Transit Center in downtown Oly.  I suppose I'll just have to play the gumshoe . . .  :eusa_think:

-Celia
  •  

Celia

Well, I took a walk around the Transit Center yesterday afternoon (about an hour or so before the meeting was to take place) but didn't have much luck.  Guess I'll do some more research. :)

-Celia
  •  

Leigh

At the NGLTF conference I met a person named Walker Birch? who was invloved with a gender group in that area.

You might check with Evergreen St. College? and see if they might have a contact number.
  •  

Celia

It's my alma mater, Leigh :); so, yes, I've been trying to check things out there.  But the campus seems more locked down than it used to - the section of the CAB where the student activities offices are located (EQA, in particular) is almost always locked when I get there (usually about 6:00PM, after I get off work). ::)  I checked out EQA's web site - it's a pretty low-key affair.  There is an email address, though.  I might see if I can get a reply. :)

Yours,
Celia
  •  

Feveth

Where exactly are you located? I'm in Centralia and I feel like I'm the only TG person around here.
  •  

Celia

I reside a couple of miles outside the bustling metropolis of Rochester. ;D  I'm sure there are more like us out here, Feveth, probably feeling just as isolated as we do.  It'd be nice if TG's in the outlying areas had some convenient means of getting together for support.  In the kinds of socially conservative environments that we country TG's live in, though, we probably couldn't pull it off without forming some sort of secret society - with passwords, secret handshakes, blood oaths, arcane rites of passage, etc. ::)  Why should things be this difficult in the 21st century? ???

Yours,
Celia
  •  

Leigh

I can't mention her name but I have a very good friend that lives in Rochester.
  •  

Celia

I'm not surprised, Leigh - I wouldn't be surprised if she lived just up the street.  We have some fairly plain reasons for keeping our lamps under buckets.  Does make it more difficult for us to find one another, though. :icon_neutral:

-Celia
  •  

Leigh

Quote from: Celia on June 08, 2005, 05:58:30 PM
We have some fairly plain reasons for keeping our lamps under buckets. Does make it more difficult for us to find one another, though. :icon_neutral:

-Celia

Not even close Celia

My friend is a natal lesbian woman that I have dated several times.  As such she has no need to *keep her lamp under any bucket*.  If anyone gives her a bad time about being gay she just pours more gas on their fire.

If you want be free come to Portland on the 18th and 19th.  Gay Pride  ;D  There is no way anyone can stand out when members of the Radical Fairies hit the street in their pink tutus and are covered with hair.

http://www.pridenw.org/index.asp
  •  

Celia

My mistake, Leigh. ;D  As for Gay Pride, there are events in Oly the same weekend and in Seattle the following.  'Tis June. :)

-Celia

Posted at: June 09, 2005, 12:42:52 PM

I'm surprised I let this go for so long.  I finally hooked up with GVHP in July (or was it August?), initially through their Gender Smash events.  A couple of months after that, they started holding their peer discussion group meetings at the DRC on 4th Ave.  So I guess I'm hooked up.  Hope anyone else in the Olympia area considers it.:)

-Celia
  •  

Robyn

The woman who runs the Friday night Ingersoll meetings in Tacoma is "Gwen Nakano" <tgirlgwen@yahoo.com>.

Posted at: April 23, 2006, 08:45:24 AM

Celia, did any of the info lead you to the Tacoma Friday night meetings?? 

If not, Google 'Marsha Botzer' or contact me for her email address.  She's the founder of Ingersoll, on the ERW Board and co-chair of NGLTF.

If the weather isn't dangerously hot this June, maybe my husband and I can get to the Washington DC Pride celebration and see some old lobbying friends.
When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen. There will be something solid for us to stand on or we will be taught to fly. — Patrick Overton
  •