Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Would you date a theist?

Started by meh, July 18, 2010, 05:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spacial

Quote from: glendagladwitch on July 20, 2010, 06:24:59 PM
What's so silly about it?  Religious parents disinherit and shun their atheist children all the time.  Shoe's on the other foot now, is all.

I see.

It's revenge you're after.

Good luck with that!
  •  

glendagladwitch

Quote from: spacial on July 20, 2010, 06:39:45 PM
I see.

It's revenge you're after.

Good luck with that!

You draw the strangest conclusions.
  •  

meh

Quote from: Ghost03 on July 20, 2010, 06:33:25 PM
There are many religious scientists, it's actually surprising how compatible the two can be, I also recently read an article about this issue.

I am an Atheist and I wouldn't date someone who pushed their beliefs onto me and tried to convert me, but if they were prepared to have the occasional civilised conversation about it then I don't see a problem, in fact I'd enjoy that as I've always been extremely interested in religion even though I'm an Atheist and was brought up that way.

It's compatible until you get to the debate over the origins and development of life. (Not to mention souls, the afterlife, miracles, demons, angels etc).

I always thought this article published by the Pew Research Center was very telling:

" How can Americans say that they respect science and even know what scientists believe and yet still disagree with the scientific community on some fundamental questions? The answer is that much of the general public simply chooses not to believe the scientific theories and discoveries that seem to contradict long-held religious or other important beliefs.

When asked what they would do if scientists were to disprove a particular religious belief, nearly two-thirds (64%) of people say they would continue to hold to what their religion teaches rather than accept the contrary scientific finding, according to the results of an October 2006 Time magazine poll. Indeed, in a May 2007 Gallup poll, only 14% of those who say they do not believe in evolution cite lack of evidence as the main reason underpinning their views; more people cite their belief in Jesus (19%), God (16%) or religion generally (16%) as their reason for rejecting Darwin's theory.

This reliance on religious faith may help explain why so many people do not see science as a direct threat to religion. Only 28% of respondents in the same Time poll say that scientific advancements threaten their religious beliefs. These poll results also show that more than four-fifths of respondents (81%) say that "recent discoveries and advances" in science have not significantly impacted their religious views. In fact, 14% say that these discoveries have actually made them more religious. Only 4% say that science has made them less religious.

These data once again show that, in the minds of most people in the United States, there is no real clash between science and religion. And when the two realms offer seemingly contradictory explanations (as in the case of evolution), religious people, who make up a majority of Americans, may rely primarily upon their faith for answers."

As for the scientists themselves, they're probably more along the lines of deists than anything or are pressured by peers/family. We don't really know because when they are polled the question of "god" isn't really laid out fully. People have different definitions of god. Even Hawking uses the term god much like Einstein did. They weren't religious however. They used the term to mean "an abstract principle of order and harmony, a set of mathematical equations". I wish they would stop using the term god that way, it just confuses people.
  •  

Silver

Adding my thoughts once more:

Science and religion are contradictory. Science it just a method, and ideally nothing would be believed until it has been proven by experiment. So since religion has not been proven, so it doesn't work. But people hold contradictory beliefs all of the time, some internal conflicts cannot simply be resolved without more thought. So yeah, religious scientists exist because of it.
  •  

Hikari

I married a wiccan so I certainly would date a theist. For me religion or lack thereof does not characterize who I am so the only reason not to, from my end at least, would be insecurity and since I am rather secure in my atheism it doesn't bother me.

That being said I wouldn't want to be with someone who dared proselytize their religion in to me. I think that if some cannot accept that I hold different beliefs than them then they are too immature to have as friends much less date. Obviously I don't dare proselytize to anyone either as I consider that a very immature thing to do.

In fact I don't talk about my beliefs unless I am asked about them, and while I don't sugar coat them for theist consumption I try not to be abrasive whilst explaining how I view the world. Personally I feel too much dogma of any sort tends to damage people.

If you outright refuse theists you are really cutting yourself off from a whole bunch of cool people to protect yourself from the bad apples in the bunch. If thats your choice then fine but, I prefer to judge each person by their merits if I can.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

Dana Lane

Is the theist cute? maybe. :-)
============
Former TS Separatist who feels deep regret
http://www.transadvocate.com/category/dana-taylor
  •  

meh

I thought this was a pretty good reply to this thread. This is from a podcast.

"Automatically being a Christian there's a degree of thinking less of an atheist. That might not be the case for all Christians though, but it's safe to say that that's the way it is.

When your world views are so different there's going to be contempt for the other person. Which is obviously not good for the relationship. When you start having to compromise with each other (begrudgingly) you're just building a hidden pile of issues for later resentment.

And what if the Christian becomes fundamentalist while in the relationship or what if you were able to convince them otherwise and they lose their "faith" and they resent you for it. It's just really messy.

As a general rule, I don't date people who have views I do not respect. That doesn't mean I have to agree with them 100% on every view they have. Only on the BIG views.

Relationships aren't just built on love, but also respect, trust, balance, and mutually beneficial compromises.

It sounds bad when I say "I can't consider having a relationship with a theist/believer (what have you)". It sounds like intolerance, but it really isn't. There's a difference between being put off by someone's views that are different from your own and being putt off by someone's beliefs that you cannot respect.

Would you date a Nazi? It's a pretty extreme example, but they're someone who's beliefs I also have no respect for."

Okay don't get offended by the Nazi thing, he was just making a point. He wasn't saying that they are in any way the same as Christians or theists or hold the same beliefs as them.

•  

Pica Pica

Isn't there a rule that a thread has reached a point of uselessness when Nazis are invoked?
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

meh

Quote from: Pica Pica on July 21, 2010, 03:17:48 PM
Isn't there a rule that a thread has reached a point of uselessness when Nazis are invoked?

It feels like Glen Beck slipped in. >.>
  •  

Pica Pica

•  

Dana Lane

============
Former TS Separatist who feels deep regret
http://www.transadvocate.com/category/dana-taylor
  •  

meh

Quote from: Pica Pica on July 21, 2010, 03:21:57 PM
Who's Glen Beck?

http://www.google.com/search?q=glenn+beck+is+insane&hl=en&rlz=1C1_____enUS364US365&prmd=vo&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=YldHTP_CNIbGlQfS5OHrAw&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDAQqwQwAw

He also equates like everything to Nazis.

I kind of feel bad for exposing you to Glenn Beck.

I like the related searches at the bottom haha:

Searches related to glenn beck is insane
glenn beck insane
glenn beck is crazy
glenn beck is nuts
glenn beck is a liar
glenn beck is racist
glenn beck is wrong
glenn beck is right
is glenn beck mormon
  •  

Pica Pica

I like him, he's funny. He's like a big clown, a Ronald McDonald for nutty views.

Post Merge: July 21, 2010, 03:32:25 PM

Closest we get to that is probably Jeremy Clarkson
  •  

meh

Quote from: Pica Pica on July 21, 2010, 03:31:32 PM
I like him, he's funny. He's like a big clown, a Ronald McDonald for nutty views.

Post Merge: July 21, 2010, 03:32:25 PM

Closest we get to that is probably Jeremy Clarkson

I hate that people take him seriously and want him as our next president.
  •  

Pica Pica

I was going to say 'surely not', then I remembered who was Mayor of London...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsFRgIb8mAQ&feature=related#
  •  

meh

He doesn't seem mentally unstable at least >.> Just has bad writers.
  •  

Pica Pica

He wrote it. Arnold Shwarzenegger called him a blunderer.
  •  

meh

•  

Cameron James

I've dated theists - but they've either lost their theism during the relationship or shortly after.

I have several friends who are pretty into their religion - we just can't talk about it because a fight is pretty unavoidable. I feel like it would be the same way if I were to date someone who was very into their religion - and personally, I'm a fan of open communication and understanding, and I just don't think I could achieve that with a theist.

•  

Aegir

I'm afraid that I must admit I'd be extremely unwilling to date a theist due to the myriad issues I think would arise in our relationship and continue to be a problem. Really, for the same reasons I won't date someone who wants to make babies- we have very different goals in and outlooks on life.
  •