Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Radio talk show

Started by cher_m, August 11, 2010, 10:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cher_m

Where to begin?  There's a local and popular talk radio show that I listen to on occasion.  One day, a caller called in to share "her" experiences as "a mtf transsexual."  Why the quotes?  Simple.  I knew the caller.  "She" had never been full time.  To work, she would wear a sports bra under her shirt to bind her non existent 1/2A cup "boobs."  The sports bra would then be pulled and stretched down her torso where she safety pinned the bottom of the bra to her underwear waistband to help hide the fact she was wearing a sports bra when in "boy mode."  She'd been a friend of the radio station and somewhat of a local b list personality on the show, making occasional appearances.

Anyway, as you might imagine, her experiences that she was sharing on the air that night were being offered as a glimpse into the quintessential life of a transsexual person.  Far from it.  The host of the show was every bit as compassionate and respectful as you could ask for.  In fact, from time to time, the topic arises on the air.  He always defends diversity in a noble manner. 

At the time I heard the show, I was tempted to call in.  But, I didn't want my life to be upset by having my voice recognized on air.  So, I opted for an email to the host.  We exchanged a few emails and he was very kind when I rejected his offer to call into the show... even offering for me to alter my voice if I'd consider calling in.  At that time, I wouldn't have considered it even for a moment.

As some of you may have read in my few posts on the site, my life has taken a negative turn recently.  I no longer have a life to protect.  Though I'd still insist on relative anonymity and would probably use a pseudonym, I'm now considering allowing my voice to broadcast some of the realities of what it is to be gender dysphoric.  Is this a bad idea? I'd insist on meeting him in person first and sharing my life's story with him, deferring to his professional guidance in how best to present it on air.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.
  •  

juliekins

You are certainly entitled to discuss your life "on the air". We all do it everyday, just person to person. Realize that what happens on the air is live, and you may be cornered or asked things in a condescending way, or asked questions you'd rather not answer. Promises made before hand may not be honored.

I suppose it comes down to the quality and reputation of the show and it's host. Here in the states, NPR does a very fair, intelligent approach towards these matters. On the other hand, I have a friend who appeared as a guest on a show who was cleverly mocked for amusement purposes. This broadcaster had a sick sense of humor on his everyday program. I would never have allowed myself to be in the same room with someone like that, much less with a large radio audience.

So, be careful and use your judgment. Let the audience know that you are Only speaking on behalf of your own experiences, and not necessarily those of other trans people. Also, if you take calls from listeners, you better be prepared for anything! Good luck with your decision.
"I don't need your acceptance, just your love"
  •  

Chaunte

Julie hit the nail on the head.  It comes down to the show and how out you want to be.

If you can trust the interviewer tell your story.  Make sure that you are only telling YOUR story.

If you have kids, make sure that you have an agreement that you will not use their names on air.  Same thing for your spouse or former spouse.

I have shared my story on several college campuses and done a few presentations about my book, but it has been with a very friendly audience every time.  To date, I have not had any hecklers, but I know someday i will.

If it was live radio, I would think very carefully about taking any calls.  Personally, I wouldn't unless the calls were screened and you had back-up from your local LGBT support organization.  That way, if someone gets under your skin, someone else can answer with a calm voice.

Hope this helps.

Shauna
  •  

gennee

Shauna, I would love to share my story over the air but I won't go on a program to be a laughingstock. Programs like Jerry Springer come to mind. It's tough enough at times and more
ridicule is something we don't need.

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •