Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

high chance of pointlessness but..

Started by aisha, August 17, 2010, 03:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pica Pica

...high chance of pointlessness, sounds like philosophy.

As for for why is why - I'll get a quote from Samuel Johnson

Quote"The gratification of curiosity rather frees us from uneasiness than confers pleasure; we are more pained by ignorance than delighted by instruction. Curiosity is the thirst of the soul; it inflames and torments us, and makes us taste every thing with joy, however otherwise insipid, by which it may be quenched."
Johnson: Rambler #103 (March 12, 1751)

I like this, that we ask why because we don't like an unknown. I guess why is a question always after the reasoning and purpose of something, which is the most unknown thing of all.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

aisha

so its like an excuse to be confused which we all must secretly like cuz when ur confused u can pretty much do anything
cuz then we can use big words and create something totally different from the original thingamajig
because honestly i have no idea what that quote is saying, as with a lot of classic philosophy like descartes, to me its just

therefore having nothing there is something which is indubitively somewhat of half of everything incorrigably resounding in a stasis which man thinketh originally being unborn by the means of anything et al whereas nothing is nothing not being something would corresponding to the everything which is infinite.

???
  •  

Pica Pica

Nah, the opposite - we don't like to be confused so we ask why. We ask why and when we get some answers out curiosity (which made us ask why) is slightly sorted out. We are freed from that little bit more blackness.
  •  

aisha

hmm.. i think philosophy is just the art of being able to sound cool when in truth no one has any idea what is going on
suprisingly useful too
  •  

Pica Pica

Quote from: aisha on August 17, 2010, 04:00:24 AM
hmm.. i think philosophy is just the art of being able to sound cool when in truth no one has any idea what is going on
suprisingly useful too

I wouldn't even credit it with that.
  •  

justmeinoz

"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

VeryGnawty

"The cake is a lie."
  •  

justmeinoz

Anyone with children will be familiar with this question,  "Why?"
No matter the answer they still ask,"Why?"
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Cindy

Why is the oxygen of the brain. Without ; Why? we are not human.

The only reason I get out of bed in the morning is because of Why?

And Why is with me for most seconds of the day. I then go to bed and wonder Why?

Cindy
  •  

Steph

"Why" often followed by "Because", is probably one of the most powerful words available to us. When we stop asking "why" we become mere robots.  It colours the conversation, challenges the recipient, and often strikes fear in politicians.

Don't be a robot, ask "why". :)

Steph
Enjoy life and be happy.  You won't be back.

WARNING: This body contains nudity, sexuality, and coarse language. Viewer discretion is advised. And I tend to rub folks the wrong way cause I say it as I see it...

http://www.facebook.com/switzerstephanie
  •  

FairyGirl

Grandmother, tell me a story
From the pages of once, long ago.
When the wind was a child
And the rivers ran wild.
Tell me grandmother, so I will know.

From the days of our early beginnings
When the very first children asked, "Why?"
There appeared in the sky
In the wink of an eye
The form of a large, silver crow.
Saying "all that you ask, you shall know."

How big is the sky?
How long is forever?
Who are we?
Why are we here?
Will we ever be able to piece it together?
Will it ever become wholly clear?

The sky's a reflection of all that you are
Forever's in every breath
You're the laughter of rainbows
The music of stars
You've come to become who you are.

~ Woodland, "Silver Crow"

The human brain is constructed as a network, a complex maze of neurons that strives to identify patterns in everything it experiences. Asking why is a way to gather more related information in order to construct a type of pattern and make sense of the world. Asking "Why?" is likely hardwired into our monkey brains.
Girls rule, boys drool.
If I keep a green bough in my heart, then the singing bird will come.
  •  

aisha

i think i understand the secret of life now, as soon as it starts to get good, it wont be long before the spirits of your parents  try to ruin it for you

why?

i know the answer i  have to make myself
  •  

Cruelladeville

Kool answer Cindy....

Well we've progressed a long way....so far....lol us Genus Homo... Ergaster and Erectus, Heidelbergensis, Neanderthalensis then us Sapiens...

What next Homo Evolutis?

I think WHY is a component part....of self-awareness

And probably seriously kicked in some 3000 years ago....when the cave art of prehistory started to decorate walls...

The full beauty of whom we be....is that the journey as such never ends...

Live long and prosper people....lol
  •  

aisha

maybe then it is the why itself that is progressing, we are born of the why
and to the why we shall return
  •