News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Anything But Straight: A Religious Test

Started by LostInTime, December 06, 2006, 09:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

Link

The American Family Association – a group behind much of the War on Christmas farce – wasted no time launching a campaign against Ellison. The AFA breathlessly urged supporters to "take action" by bullying members of Congress to "pass a law making the Bible the book used in the swearing-in ceremony of Representatives and Senators."

Again, why would a Christian group want to compel a Muslim to swear on the Christian holy book?

Right wing columnist Dennis Prager answered this question on AFA's website by ranting that Ellison's use of the Koran "undermines American civilization." It is interesting that the same hysterical verbiage used to prohibit same-sex marriage has now become a club against others who disagree with the fundamentalists.
  •  

Tiffany Elise

Dear Lost In Time;
  The Lord told his disciples that when they persecute you in one city flee unto another, not overtake it.
  Tiff
  •  

LostInTime

However, you eventually run out of places to go.
  •  

Kimberly

You know, oddly it would seem the simple solution would be to use a book that has meaning to the person swearing in.

Simple solution?

Shame it seems to be... distasteful.
  •  

Kate

Since we're talking about a goverment process, maybe we shouldn't be wearing on *any* religious texts?

How 'bout... I dunno... the Constitution, or a job description, or some such document that somehow applies to the office?
  •  

LostInTime

The Constitution has been dead for years.  Best to find something that still has some real meaning.
  •  

Dennis

I can't remember what politician it was who said in the same sex marriage debate "when I took office, I swore on the bible to uphold the constitution. I did not swear on the constitution to uphold the bible".

I agree, swear on a text that has meaning for the individual. It's what they do in Canadian courts. It would be pretty meaningless to have a Muslim swear on a bible to tell the truth.

Dennis
  •  

Cindi Jones

Why swear on anything?  Isn't it just a way to say that your word or work isn't good enough unless it is monitored by the wrath of god?  I've often thought the practice to be rather heathen.  From what I understand of the holy writ, the practice is forbidden in any case.  It falls under the heading of sacred icons and idolotry.

Does any other modern country require this pagan ritual?

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Suzy

FWIW, the swearing in with a Bible is nothing but a ceremonial photo op.  The real swearing in takes place at a different time with a simple right hand raised, usually with all of the senators (or whatever) together.  If someone refused that sham, they would be just as leagally sworn into office.  Though I believe in the Bible I would not want someone who was opposed to it raising their hand and lying about it.  The time for that discussion is before the election.
  •