Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

To Convert?

Started by Kitpup, October 14, 2010, 04:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitpup

I have never been religious, not a very God-believing/fearing/whatevering family. I've poked and prodded pretty much every religion I've come across to one degree or another, and Judaism is the last on my list. This is the first one where I've actually taken steps to get involved in the community, today I attended a 'Taste of Judaism' class (for those who wish to learn).

This is the first religion that made sense to me, and this is the only Temple in the area (as noted in some papers) so I'm a little scared to be who I am, because it's all so new and I don't know anyone or anything. I heard there were students from my previous school (a very small school) who went there, and I can't decide if that's wonderful or terrifying.

I'm going to services on Friday evening, and I'm going to the next class next week. After services I'll decide if I want to take the class that's an introduction to Judaism, for those who wish to convert. I just don't know how open I should be, about me. This is far more conflicting than coming out to my family (which involved a facebook post and change of gender on everything I'm on).
  •  

justmeinoz

Don't worry too much about it Kit,as it is a long process.
I seriously considered it a few years ago, and although I decided not to, I found it is a bit complex and you will have plenty of time to consider  things.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Devin87

I converted to Judaism last year (I wasn't in a class- I had private lessons with the Rabbi) and it was an awesome process for me.  You should totally take the class-- it's no comittment.  You can drop out at any time or you can go through the entire thing and not convert and no one will think anything of it, so there's no risk.  As for the trans thing, Reform Judaism is a very open religion.  It gets trickier when you get into Conservative and Orthodox, but Reform is pretty much anything goes when it comes to sexuality and stuff.  I'd feel out the class first-- just because the religion is open doesn't mean everyone in it will be-- but you should be good.
In between the lines there's a lot of obscurity.
I'm not inclined to resign to maturity.
If it's alright, then you're all wrong.
Why bounce around to the same damn song?
  •  

Sean

I am Jewish, and I agree with what everyone else says: take the class, explore the community, figure out if it's right for you and what converting would mean in your life.

Reform Judaism is trans-friendly as a religious denomination, but that doesn't mean that a specific person, Rabbi, Temple or community will be as open-minded or welcoming. Then again, there are places that aren't welcoming for a lot of other reasons, not related to being trans. Hopefully, this is a good place and you'll have a positive experience.

In Soviet Russa, Zero Divides by You!
  •  

Stephanie.Izann

You may also want to try Reconstructionism.  Very very Trans Friendly.  My wife and I belong to one, and they are the best in how they treat me. I never feel awkward. They are extremely progressive yet retain the cultural aspect.
S.
  •  

Kitpup

Thanks for the responses. I found the one temple in the city (that surprised me) but only made it to one of their 'Taste of Judaism' classes (I can't drive) and nothing more; very sad. I loved it though, and I've been reading up on it in various books (pretty much whatever sounded interesting in the ONE shelf of books on the subject at the local B&N). When the introductory class starts up this spring I am going. I loved the feel of the place, the temperment of the people and the whole concept of it all.

I will have to find time to go and speak with the rabbi and/or his wife (she taught the taste class), just to get a better feel of their take on me. Apparently some of my peers from my high school go there, so that bodes well.
  •  

Stephanie.Izann

Glad to hear you are having a great time exploring being a member of "The Tribe"! Yey!  ;)
Shalom,
Stephie
  •  

justmeinoz

Truly bizarre, but talking to my mother about the family tree it turns out that her mother's mother was Jewish.   
She would have been fairly isolated too as both her parents died on the ship coming out from England, so would have had to make do as best she could keeping  a fairly  kosher  household as she was able living on a farm in a fairly remote part of the state. 
She married a Gentile, and died long before I was born, but the family always somehow seemed to regard being Jewish as being somehow just another variety of Protestant  ???
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Nina Podolskaya

i would recommend reform movement,they're very friendly than any others ;D
  •