Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Gone again

Started by Dennis, August 20, 2005, 12:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

I'm out of town for a few days again because I'm heading to Vancouver to buy suits and ties for work. Kinda exciting!

Dennis
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: Dennis on August 20, 2005, 12:49:25 PM
I'm out of town for a few days again because I'm heading to Vancouver to buy suits and ties for work. Kinda exciting!

Dennis

Very exciting...  Have fun shopping, don't spend too much money,  aaaaaaaaaah what the heck, go crazy.

Chat later,

Steph
  •  

Shelley

Hi Dennis,

Enjoy, I  think shopping is at least half the fun.

Shelley
  •  

Dennis

Well, it was great! The store I went to has "wardrobe consultants". The woman helped me pick out two suits (one charcoal grey, one navy), a sportsjacket and pants, some shirts, ties, shoes and a belt. She told me what goes with what and what you shouldn't wear with what. This is exactly the sort of help I've always needed. I'm clueless about colour coordination and stuff.

Then I went back to my friend's place and he said I should get a size smaller on the shirts so that they look better with ties (I had kind of ignored the salesperson's advice on that). So the next day I went back to exchange them with him and his son. I think they all thought we were a gay male couple with our child. It was quite sweet the way they kept including him in the decisions as though he were my partner. The fact that his son can't quite pronounce my name so it sounds like a variation on Daddy probably helped that impression along.

Now I have to practice tying ties so that it doesn't take me 17 attempts to get a decent knot. The last time I wore one was in the 80's, when narrow ties were in. Seems to me they were easier to tie than the wider ones.

All in all it was a much more positive experience than shopping for women's clothes ever was, and not just because of the clothes. The sales help was much more useful. I guess in women's clothing stores they assume you have a basic clue about what you can wear with what, whereas in men's stores it's normal to be pretty stunned about it.

Dennis
  •  

Terri-Gene

Amazing how much there is to learn about dressing in mens clothing when it comes to professional attire, isn't it.  It will get even more interesting as you get into it.  Sounds like you went off the rack.  Later, you may want to have suits fitted, rather then have them altered later somewhere else.  Most mens stores provide tailoring. 

You might get a little confused as to what to say when being measured for pants and asked if you dress to the right or left, ..... they are asking which leg your "little head" points to so they can make a little more room in that area so it doesn't show.

Until you have lower done, just look em straight in the eye and say "pay no attention to it".  They will simply assume you are a little under endowed in that respect and figure the less said about it the better and ignore the area as directed.

A quick trick to ties.  Each tie, depending on width and material, type of knot used etc, uses a different tail length to come out even when properly worn.  You will have to practice with each different style tie to find the proper tail length for the type of knot you will be using.

just hang the tie around your neck with the ends down your chest and the inside tail approx middle between your neck and the bottom of the larger tail.  From there, make a proper knot and tighten it up and check where the smalll tail in back ends up.  It should be just a little short of the same length as the front.  If not, try again with more or less inside tail until you get it right and remember that spot for that tie.  You have to get used to this with each different size tie.  Little things like that will enter into male power dynamics believe it or not, having it right.

Shirts, yes.  You are probably used to wearing shirts a little loose to hide the boobs or lessen the obviousness of them, but for male attire, tailored shirts are big, especially if wearing a jacket, and the tie down the front  does a lot to hide things like belly, making you look somewhat slimmer and fitter, as does the tailoring so that shirts fit neatly tucked into the pants without a lot of lose material bagging up, again helping to look slimmer and more fit.  Another of the little power dynamics.  Every thing properly fitted, never tight.

Jackets some in different lengths and you will have to find the right length to properly go with your size and frame.  with your build, I would stay with a short, or at most a regular, never a long.

Right about tying ties.  Have someone at a mens clothing store show you the different knots, there are several popular styles of tying knots and which one you use can enter into the power dynamic, but it must be properly done.  How a man wears his tie can make a big impression on other men, Beleive it.  For professionalism, always look precise and comfortable for a devistating impact, in many ways, it is even more critical then for women.

You will get used to ties easy enough though, it's just a little practice.  I could still pick one up and have it in a perfect knot around my neck in about 30 seconds or so in a hurry with no mirror.  I like the "Winsor" (sp?) knot myself as it is easy to wrap and is very semetrical when done right, very attractive and adds to the professional, competent and well oiled machine type look.  Most men use a half Winsor, but I always thought most of those managed to look sloppy.  Oh yes, pay attention to the tie length, they have various lengths,  With front and back being clost to equal when properly knoted and tightened, the bottom of the tie should just touch the belt buckle,when standing straight and in good posture, not hang down over it or be short of it.  That creates an impression of incompetence and besides, looks silly if showing shirt under it, or hanging down into your crotch.

Its amazing how much attention I paid to suits and such when in professional life as compaired to my almost non thought about it these days as a woman.  All I pay attention to these days is color and fit, but not in the precise manner I did in years past.  First impressions back then were ment to do just that, make an impression and covey that impression to the hilt.  It was all about total confidence, ability, reliability, detail and precision.  A person who paid precise attention to anything and everything in their sphere of influence and missed nothing.  In a mans world, impressing other men with these qualities means influence and power, but you have to produce .....

Terri

•  

Leigh

This is to funny.

Besides men, you just described what a well dressed butch looks like  ;D
  •  

Terri-Gene

yeah, All things considered, point being?

Terri
  •  

beth

my male clothing ritual was very well thought out, taking all possible work/play/power/sex situations in mind:

"take your jeans and t shirts out of the dryer immediately or they wrinkle and u look like you slept in them"

beth
  •  

Terri-Gene

hell, I fold my jeans seam to seam when I take em off and put them in the dirty closths hamper, same with shirts and tops.  then after washing, shake em out and fold em seam to seam before putting in the dryer, and shake out and fold and put into drawers, when I take them out to wear, they look ironed.  Never could stand wrinkled clothing.  even socks are shaken out, flatened and folded together in pairs. 

Terri

•  

Dennis

Thanks, I practiced a bit last night and have the tie thing down pat. Just a half windsor. I'll try a full a few times before I go back to work.

I gotta be somewhat careful about the power suit thing cause I don't want to stand out too much. In our small town, most guys look like they slept in their suits. It'll be distinctive enough to be colour coordinated!

On another note, I got a stand to pee adapter and have got the hang of that too. That should cut down on my anxiety in men's rooms a lot. At least my feet will be facing the right way in the stall now.

Dennis
  •  

Terri-Gene

Stand to pee adaptor indeed, while this may come in handy at times, is probably one of the least sanitary of adaptions.  Don't know how those things work exactly, but I do know that in the past, I did use urinals on occassion, and what I hated most about that was the splash back spray when peeing against the back of the urinal, I could actually feel the fine mist coming back against my pant legs, meaning my clothing was absorbing some of the urine, disgusting really, into a commode would be better, but if in a stall anyway, I'd rather just sit down and relax a bit.  That has it's problems to though in a men's room as many don't bother lifting the seat first and the well known mess, which is often the case even when they do ya know.  If no one comes in after them and cleans it up, then it dries and there you are, sitting on a pissy seat.  Ack!

Terri
  •  

Leigh

Quote from: Terri-Gene on August 25, 2005, 10:59:33 PM
yeah, All things considered, point being?

Who made a mess in your bowl of cheerios?

Ever been to a formal lesbian/dyke/butch dance?  There are as many suits there as Mens Warehouse has in a store.  Watch the movie If These Walls Could Talk II.  The second part where the 4 women end up in a bar explains it all.

•  

Terri-Gene

QuoteWho made a mess in your bowl of cheerios?

Nobody Leigh, and I didn't mean it that way.  Just a thought at the moment about having been more of a true butch those many years ago before starting to realistically sort it out, but I lost sight of something in the process which makes me somewhat, or everything less these days.

No disrespect toward you, not for the rest of days, only toward  myself.

No, I didn't see If these Walls could talk II, I'll see about getting it, and the original also for reference.

Terri

Edit: By Leigh to clarify quotes
  •  

Leigh

Quote from: Terri-Gene on August 26, 2005, 10:20:27 PM

No disrespect toward you, not for the rest of days, only toward  myself.

If you don't respect yourself who will?  Putting yourself down is a very slippery slope leading to mucho doubt and it will show to everyone.  Confidence but not arrogance.

Leigh
  •  

beth

QuoteIf you don't respect yourself who will?  Putting yourself down is a very slippery slope leading to mucho doubt and it will show to everyone.  Confidence but not arrogance.

thats a great quote Leigh

If these walls could talk II is one of my favs, i cry my eyes out everytime i see the first part with Vanessa Redgrave, it is so very sad. it reveals a part of lesbian history i havent seen talked about much today. the other parts are very good, funny at times and realistic. i loved the part Chloe played, she was awesome. it is a great movie.
  •  

Terri-Gene

QuoteConfidence but not arrogance

Thank you Leigh,  Something I know, but need to be reminded of.  Putting myself down? You know what is involved, and why I would.  Just something I have to put into perspective with the time and circumstance and put away in the box, the good with the bad, but never forget, as the damage is forever.  When something doesn't function as it should, everything it touches must be examined and tested to insure integrity as without that, there is nothing. 

Until completed in this, yes, I am on a slippery slope, but I walked out on that slope, and now I must walk back.  Meanwhile, respect as always is something that is earned even by ones self, of ones self. 

As to others?  Thats up to them, not I, but I will put my house back in order to my own satisfaction before expecting anything from anyone else and knowing it is deserved.  If doubts show in the meantime, it matters not, only that I am sucessful in how I deal with it.  Sometimes weakness will show through while achieveing or regaining strength.

Terri
  •