Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Horses?

Started by Cody Jensen, December 07, 2010, 05:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody Jensen

I feel it is one of my goals in my life to own a horse. I've been wanting one since I was 3. But now, when I have transition to consider, a horse probably isn't possible at the moment. Maybe not ever since they are one of the most expensive pets to keep out there. I have a couple of questions though: is it weird for a straight boy to like horses? Also what can I do to reach my goal of owning a horse (even if transition is going to get in the way a little)? I want to own in total: two dogs (one of which I already have, she is a Pomeranian), a horse eventually and maybe even a kitten to the family. I need to be around animals to be happy (which is partly why I'm looking at a vet program) and it is also my dream to have more of my own. Advice?
Derp

"I just don't know what went wrong!"
  •  

xAndrewx

I used to ride for 8 years and I have to say if you eventually want to own a horse the best start, if you haven't already is to lease a horse. It will give you the responsibility and teach you how to take care of the horse on your own without having to have the barn and you don't have to handle vet bills.

I know a lot of straight men who loves horses and have met many who's goal was to own a ranch and such. It's not impossible but you are right it is very expensive. Becoming a vet is a great idea because it will also give you the ability to medically care for your horse when it comes to the simple stuff instead of having to trailer it out or pay a vet to come out when they get sick.

As stupid as it sounds "Horses for dummies" is a great book to get because it covers the basics very thoroughly. Just remember while yes, transition is expensive it doesn't mean you can't ever do expensive things. It might be more of a struggle but not impossible.

Robert Scott

You know Josh ... just b/c your trans does not make anything out of reach for you.  Just like before you realized your were trans you needed a good job if you wanted a horse and vacation.

Taking T is just a maintenance med...something you gotta do ... I take a ton of meds for various medical conditions .. it's not ideal but it's what I gotta do.

Being transgender truly is not going to be a this life altering thing financially...it's like if you had diabetes .. something you know you have to do and have supplies for.   
  •  

Cody Jensen

Michael Alexander, leasing a horse is a good idea. I actually never thought of it before. I will look into that! Thanks man. Ps I'll also look into the Horses for Dummies book!

Rob: That is a good way of looking at it and makes me feel more confident and reaching my goal. I suppose your right. Transitioning is just another thing in my life I need to do so I can get back to living my life normally again and get back to being happy.
Derp

•  

Shang

Whenever I can afford it, I plan on getting a horse.  I rode a little bit as a kid to strengthen my muscles and I absolutely loved it.  I love horses.  I want a Clydesdale, though. =/  I had have to lease out a place for the horse to stay because I couldn't own my own barn. 
  •  

Noah G.

Dude, this idea that liking horses is feminine is bunk. I love horses, and recently I even took more of an interest in horses like Friesians and Gypsy Vanners, and I have it from other people that the most feminine thing about me is my recent worries about weight (which guys have) and my interest in clothes and looking good (which guys do). Think of it this way: cowboys, cavalry, historical generals and emperors -- all rode horses, all were men. Think of all the historical pictures of powerful men on horses and tell me that's feminine.

Honestly, owning a Pomeranian is more feminine than liking horses, and plenty of men own and baby small dogs without drawing any question to their masculinity. I've even seen a man who in no way was not masculine picking out a pink coat for his dog -- he appeared more involved in the process than his wife.

Sure, horses are a more expensive animal to keep than the average dog or cat, but it's not as though only the rich own them or they cost millions or anything. Leasing is a good way to start and gives you a good idea of just what kind of care is involved -- volunteering at a barn gives you a pretty good idea as well if you want to give that a shot without the commitment or the money if that is a problem at the moment. Otherwise the best advice is to be prepared as possible and do as much research as you can beforehand. Understand the basics, then research the beyond of keeping a horse, because really it's the beyond that can prove the most beneficial and can make all the difference.

Also, know that a horse is not a horse is not a horse. Learn about the different horses and what makes a horse a good horse opposed to anything else. Honestly, knowing as much as you can beforehand can only benefit you.
  •  

Cody Jensen

Oh yea and I plan to board my horse at a stable if possible. I'm not sure if I want to pay them to take care of my horse yet because caring for your horse helps you bond with it and such. Also I like doing most of the work that involves caring for a horse. So I'm not sures yet. But I will definitely look into leasing.
Derp

•  

Nikolai_S

A good start is volunteering at a local stable, especially if you're not very used to dealing with horses. That will give  you a good feel for daily chores in dealing with horses, and you'll have other people around to help if you have problems. You'll also learn from other volunteers/employees/stable owner a lot of good tips for handling horses, and a lot of knowledge about them. Next, leasing a horse. Finally, owning a horse.

Look at the equestrian Olympics, horse racing, and rodeos. Seemingly male-dominated. I myself really want to get back into riding, but it's a conservative area and I'm totally not passing in breeches, nor can I just say I'm female since I'll be on T in a week. I'm kind of stuck that way.  :-\
  •  

ativan

Consider volunteering for a horse rescue org. They always need help, donations etc.

There is nothing more moving for yourself than to 'join up' with a horse that has been abused. Their trust and love is unconditional. I have worked with more than a few to gentle them and get them ready for retraining or training in general. Some have gone on to be childrens horses. That'll bring a tear to my eye and a swelling in my heart for that horse who made it.

So if you want to be around horses and be involved in every facet of their lives, from mucking out a stall to helping the vet, try volunteering. It could be worth more to you personally than just owning one. And a lot less expensive.
  •  

Cody Jensen

Thanks avitan. That sounds like a good idea. And Nikolai, that sucks man. Sorry to hear. Hope things work out for you and you can be around horses another way or something?
Derp

•