Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Elizabeth Edwards

Started by 28BROOK, December 08, 2010, 11:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

28BROOK

I sit here and stare down at my chest, looking at my breasts jutting out and think of the similarities and differences I shared in common with Elizabeth Edwards.

We both have had cancer and we both chose to fight.  I so far have and hopefully continue to win my battle while hers sadly has ended.  I can sympathize with the emotions which must have run through her mind when she found she had cancer.  The Big C drives the fear of death home with a suddenness of nothing I have ever experienced.  I can't imagine it any different for her.

I am saddened by loss her children must feel.  Since I managed to conquer my own cancer I don't think my children have felt the fear of losing me, although it would be unfair to say they wouldn't.

Elizabeth Edwards brought awareness to breast cancer and the health problems encountered in getting proper health care for those with breast cancer. 

Sadly she paid dearly for having cancer as her husband seems to have looked outside their marriage to full fill his sexual drive.  I have been fortunate to still have my Significant Other despite being the person in the bedroom I once was.

I was walking out of a local supermarket a few years after my treatment for cancer.  A local group was handing out flowers to cancer survivors.  I noted one gentleman older than I noting that he also was a cancer survivor to which he was awarded a flower.  As I went by the lady at the  table called to me, "sir, would you like to donate to breast cancer research?"  Momentarily I was flustered by emotions - I was a cancer survivor - you are saying my pain and experience isn't valid because I didn't have breast cancer - because I am a man you are implying I can't get breast cancer.  Slightly choking back the feeling of tears, I replied, "I'm sorry I don't have any cash on me."  Since that day I have been called and asked to make contributions for breast cancer.  Every October I feel insulted by the "pink" campaigns, although I think raising money for breast cancer is important.

Today I feel saddened by the loss of Elizabeth Edwards and for her children because we shared having cancer and are the same age.

She died of breast cancer and while there is a dispute among the medical community as to men actually developing what is termed breast cancer in women, a number of men do develop a form of breast cancer each year. 

Eleven years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer.  Originally told it was aggressive - meaning it had the potential to spread to other parts of the body.  I have witnessed others who have survived prostate cancer only to die of a secondary cancer.  The fear of developing a secondary cancer lives with me every day.

My other connection to Elizabeth Edwards?

We have both have had breasts since puberty.  While she was a normal woman, I am generally viewed as genetic freak of nature by some. 

It has been said death begins at birth - as we come into the world we fight every day to continue to live until we no longer can. Some have shortened time others seem to live forever.  Elizabeth Edwards fought till she reached the age of 61.  God grant here final peace.

Brook
  •