Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Mentioning operations and/or medication

Started by Al James, December 08, 2010, 10:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al James

I know this may seem like a stupid question but i am half asleep at the minute so please forgive me. I seem to have filled in several forms lately that have asked if you are on any kind of medication or whether you have had any operations. One was for travel insurance, the other was at a dentist and i cant remember the others. At what point does not telling people that you are on T and what kind of reassignment surgery youve had become dangerous or just stupid. I dont want to out myself unnecessarily but at the same time i dont want to endanger myself by not declaring things when i should. Also some travel insurances wont pay out unless you have declared all your medical history- does this include your transition history?
  •  

tekla

Insurance companies will look for any reason not to pay.  Matter of fact, they have huge staffs who do nothing but try to find ways not to pay.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Mister

I vary the info I disclose based on the situation.  Six months ago I broke my leg 500 miles from home.  My chest surgery is not related to my klutziness, so I said nothing.  In the case of an emergency, though, disclosing more info is probably best.  As far as the dentist is concerned, your taking testosterone affects your tooth cleaning just as much as the next guy's balls do.
  •  

tekla

I don't know if T or E could or would be counter-indicated for pain killers or anti-infection medicines.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Mister

Quote from: tekla on December 08, 2010, 11:50:45 PM
I don't know if T or E could or would be counter-indicated for pain killers or anti-infection medicines.

I know nothing about E, but there is no difference between the T you inject in your ass and the T you produce in your testicles.
  •  

Sarah B

Hi al james

In the case of the dentist, I would say nothing about your medical history except of course your teeth and then only say what you had done and not where and when and only if your are allergic to any drugs.

In the case of the travel insurance plans that want a minute by minute account of everything that went wrong with you.  I would not waste my time with, because those particular companies, do not want to pay out period as Tekla said.   Find a travel insurance plan that is the least onerous on you for past details and or will cover you for what you actually need.

When I used to fill in forms.  I kept in my mind at the time that I gave them the least amount of information that was needed in regards to whatever the application was and also what I could do that would keep my life private.  These days I do not have that problem, because I have time on my side, public and private records can be destroyed after a certain periods of time.

Yes this "I vary the info I disclosed based on the situation" was what I thinking of when I started this reply and was always part of my thinking when filling in forms.  Thanks Miser for the reminder.

Kind regards
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

Muffin

I decided not too long ago that in the future when I run into these situations I will not state my history of srs/hrt etc based on the grounds that some people view them negativity and may choose to use this information against me.. even if it's just internal judgement. I know this happens and I choose to not put myself into those situations. Now if the world was more open minded and accepting then sure I'd jot it all down as merrily as can be but the way things are now....nah.
This even counts for GPs ..my last two GPs refused to prescribe me HRT without a letter from a higher power when I was open about my transsexualism I later thought whether they'd be so tight fisted if I was a natal female on HRT..hhmmm...aaahhmmmmm. :-/
And this is not a recommendation just my own POV/experience. :P
  •  

Lisa

I wouldn't put that stuff down unless necessary, then again, my judgement of "necessary" might not be the bets.

last month I tried to sign up for a "loss of income" insurance, and decided that there was no reason to put anything down as I had really only just started hrt.
Anyway, so they decide to send me to a medical exam, and of course when I took my shirt off for the doc to listen to my chest, she spots the small breast growth straight away.

Just put a bit of thought into what the chances are of them finding out if you leave stuff out, and what the potential consequences might be.
  •  

sneakersjay

At the dentist I did not disclose T or surgery.  I think it matters more if you've had heart issues and bleeding issues and the like.  I agree with Mister, the T I apply is the same as if it came from my nuts.

Travel insurance?  Never had that, but wonder why they need that.  I guess in case you die on your trip they can prove you were sick beforehand?  Like Tekla says, they always want any excuse to deny you.

I'm never disclosing unless necessary (doctors, and even that depends), or if you're getting into my pants (provided I want a relationship with you).  Otherwise NO.

Jay

•