Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Addicted to 3D

Started by Victor, December 22, 2010, 02:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor

Anything worth doing is going to be a challenge, after all, how can you feel proud of something that's just handed to you without some effort?
If I wanted the easy route I'd stick to being miserable, but that's just not my style.
  •  

Jeatyn

oooh these are cool, how do you do them? Not like...a step by step :P but what program?
  •  

Victor

I use a few different programs actually, most who take up 3D do since different programs will have different tools that can help achieve the end result.

CB Model Pro: Used mostly for prop and design modeling.

Arts of Illusion: Used mostly for testing meshes and fine adjustments on a polygonal level.

Hexagon: Used for basic modeling, still getting use to the interface but it is also very useful for altering purchased models and has a good selection of tools.

Carrara: Great for 3d text creation, background and effects item creation, terrain creation and editing, useful tools for plants, flames, water, etc. All around a good program and has most tools needed.

Daz3D: I started out with this program and have always been partial to it, I use the advanced version. Rather like it's rendering engine and it seems to be the most intuitive to me. It has a great layout for beginners and customizable interface layouts for more advanced users. On of the best free/low cost (depending the version you use) render engines I have seen and support for animated texture plugins.

I do not make all of my models, I'll admit this though many 3D artists don't wish to. I'm a 3D artist, not a 3D modeler though I do have experience with modeling. I purchase professional models and then alter them in the programs listed above to get the results I desire, which licencing does fully permit, the models I purchase hold a non-transferable commercial licence, meaning I can alter them as I need, use the renders and animations I create with them and their derivatives for personal, non-profit and commercial uses so long as I do not redistribute the models, original or altered, themselves. That said, a lot of work still does go into altering those models to fit my needs as well as into posing, animating, material settings, texture alterations/creation, lighting, environmental settings, etc. Been doing this for 7 years, love every minute of it.
Anything worth doing is going to be a challenge, after all, how can you feel proud of something that's just handed to you without some effort?
If I wanted the easy route I'd stick to being miserable, but that's just not my style.
  •