Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Do you believe in the theory of penis envy in young girls?

Started by Alex201, December 25, 2010, 06:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisagurl

Do you know the difference between philosophy and psychology?
  •  

CaitJ

No, I do not believe in the theory of penis envy in young girls.
  •  

tekla

Everybody wants what they don't have.  Hell, a very old friend of mine (I met him back when he was just a little runt with a guitar) was/is in a band that had one of the largest selling records of all time.  (30 million copies to date) and he tells me that he envies my ability to just go out wherever and whenever I want.  I envy his bank account, (and his house, the pool is awesome).

Everybody wants what they don't have.

FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

glendagladwitch

How about vagina envy in young boys?

Or chesticle envy in both young girls and young boys?
  •  

Nero

I don't believe in the theory the way Freud put it out there. But that doesn't mean there aren't individual girls who have been jealous of their brother's penis once or whatever. Or boys of something their sister had.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Michael Joseph

I remember when I was 6, my very female friend and I were talking, and she was like I wish I had a penis for one day... so I could see what its like to pee standing up! I was scared to tell her that I wanted one too, only forever. I dont know if that would be penis envy, but this post made me think of that.

VeryGnawty

"The cake is a lie."
  •  

lilacwoman

•  

Elsa

I am a girl who is glad to not have a penis.. *looks down and remembers* oh wait.... how did that get there....
Sometimes when life is a fight - we just have to fight back and say screw you - I want to live.

Sometimes we just need to believe.
  •  

LordKAT

Quote from: Vibes6 on December 26, 2010, 07:37:17 AM
I am a girl who is glad to not have a penis.. *looks down and remembers* oh wait.... how did that get there....

That evil fairy in fairy tales, perhaps.
  •  

Hermione01

Penis envy was a term used by Freud regarding girls loving their mothers.  Freud had this weird theory about boys and girls who love or hate their parents (basically suggesting they were 'in love with a parent, pretty gross stuff).  He analysed his patients dreams and so forth, pretty outdated stuff but he opened up the world of psychiatry and a huge can of worms with it.
  •  

tekla

FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Miniar

The thing about Freud which is easy to forget these days is...
He was a man who had a limited information to work with in a day and age where no psychiatry existed what so ever.
Women came to him and talked to him about their problems, and he did something that no other doctor did at the time.
He listened to his female patients and didn't assume that there was something physically wrong with them just because they had their own desires, their own sexuality, their own minds.
He didn't prescribe hystorectomies to cure them of being sad, upset, stressed out, etcetera.

He made a lot of assertions and assumptions that have since been proven false, but he was the first doctor of his age to actually sit down and listen to the women that came to him for help. That counts for a lot in my mind.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

espo

well, penis envy as in:  being able to go outside and play instead of having to wash dishes or help make dinner  ?

I would think, I dont know, but what girls envy is the freedom boys have, not necessarly their penis. 
  •