Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Really cheap and easy recipes?

Started by jmaxley, January 05, 2011, 09:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinkfluff

Quote from: justmeinoz on January 14, 2011, 06:59:08 AM
Soups are definitely a good way to go. 

This was my first suggestion too. It's easy to make alot of soup at once and it freezes pretty well too so you can save it for later meals. If you have mostly broth left just make some rice to throw in it.

One that I make sometimes is fish and potatoes with a fresh squeezed orange. Freezes and thaws well and is easy to make with only 3 ingredients. Used to be my breakfast or lunch when I was on campus alot. Pretty cheap too if you get the fish when it's on sale.

And if you know anyone with a Sam's club card, have them take you shopping. I went there with my brother once and had food for like 2 months.
  •  

niamh

Quote from: Helena on January 06, 2011, 03:44:05 PM
Soups are cheap to make, healthy and filling

Soup is what my partner and I eat during the long hard winters. Lots of veg, bean and barley groats soup.

Our presses are fully of wholegrain pastas, coconut milk, flours, soya beans, tomotoe purée, dry peas, wholegrains, canned beans, dry beans, quinoa, seeds, nuts, herbs, spices...you get the idea. And our freezer is full of veg.

Endless choice of cheap and easy to make meals.

Being vegan*, right now we are hooked on kidney bean pâté and kidney bean burgers. Delish!

* No meat, no dairy, no eggs. And we also never use oil.
  •  

Lukas-H

If you don't mind eating the same meal for several times a day several days in a row I can definitely say you want things like Soups, chilis, big crock pots of meals you can simmer and leave to cook.

Would like to echo every one else's statements about rice, beans and grains and such. Pastas are also quite cheap but you probably don't want to be eating them also the time. If you have a large slow cooker, you can buy tougher cuts of meat for cheaper and put them in to simmer with some kind of sauce or make a soup, it will make the meat really tender and you save a pretty penny!

Also Farmer's Markets are a good one! Not everyone is lucky to have one, but if you do know of one you can get very nice, tasty veggies and fruits for usually cheaper than the store, usually bigger and better tasting and probably with little to no pesticide use (but I'd always ask if you are worried about it).

Also if you have the space (and a green thumb) you can try growing your own veggies and herbs :) I think it's even possible to grow some herbs indoors in the winter. Seeds are always cheap and can be found in a lot of places and you can grow exactly what you want provided you have the right climate. With some loving care your veggie yields will probably be bigger than what you could ever find in the store and you might have so much left over you can freeze or give as gifts to friends.
We are human, after all. -Daft Punk, Human After All

The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all. -Mulan
  •  

Yakshini

As for home-made desserts, I recommend Meringues. I just made some earlier this week and it called for only two ingredients.

Recipe and directions here in my blog: http://yakshii.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/brown-sugar-meringues/

They take some time to cook, but they are simple and yummy. :)
  •