Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

1st Therapy Apt

Started by Robert Scott, January 28, 2011, 11:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Scott

So, my first therapy appointment was an epic fail!

The therapist first started off by chastizing me for telling folks that I was transgender without an official diagnoses of such.  Then she said that she need to have a 30 min appointment with me to determine if I am transgender.

We did do couples counseling ... which actually went fairly well.  She told my wife she was in denial and that she had broken my trust on some things which is why I would talk to her.  My wife actual heard it ... she and I are getting along much better.  She even got my wife to use male pronouns in therapy.

But she really rubbed me the wrong way about transgender stuff ... so I have another therapist scheduled .. but not until March 3rd ... YIKES ... she is on materinty leave so .... she is the same age as me & has a transgender relative so hopefully it will go better.
  •  

Janet_Girl

QuoteThe therapist first started off by chastizing me for telling folks that I was transgender without an official diagnoses of such.  Then she said that she need to have a 30 min appointment with me to determine if I am transgender.

Excuse Me!  But being Trans, is a self diagnosis.  This one sounds like a gatekeeper.  Does you son have a therapist?  And could you go there?
  •  

Robert Scott

Quote from: Janet Lynn on January 28, 2011, 12:28:43 PM
Excuse Me!  But being Trans, is a self diagnosis.  This one sounds like a gatekeeper.  Does you son have a therapist?  And could you go there?

Yes he does ... and I love her!!!  We had family counseling with her and she was great.  She said transgender is like sexual orientation ... not something you can diagnose or say about someone else ... the person just knows it ... and a therapists job is to help them accept it and make them more self confident.  She always classifies her transgender clients as having adjustment problems and she is helping them adjust to the new self discovery.

She however, works exclusively with youth.  She started a nonprofit - RECLAIM -- which provides free counseling and other services to LGBTQ youth 16- 25 in the twin cities.  We paid for our sons appointments b/c we didn't want to take away from those youth who can't get help b./c of lack of funds or b/c they live at home and don't want their parents to find out. 

She has been working with me to find a counselor ... she made the recommendation to the 1st one and appreciated the feedback since she often times has to refer the kids out ... she made the suggestion for the second therapist ... so we shall see
  •  

ClaireA

Quote from: Rob on January 28, 2011, 11:09:42 AM
So, my first therapy appointment was an epic fail!

The therapist first started off by chastizing me for telling folks that I was transgender without an official diagnoses of such.  Then she said that she need to have a 30 min appointment with me to determine if I am transgender.

Wow... That is absolutely horrible! Honestly, I would have just stood up and left - what is wrong with some of these therapists?!?

Quote from: Rob on January 28, 2011, 01:13:48 PM
She however, works exclusively with youth.  She started a nonprofit - RECLAIM -- which provides free counseling and other services to LGBTQ youth 16- 25 in the twin cities.  We paid for our sons appointments b/c we didn't want to take away from those youth who can't get help b./c of lack of funds or b/c they live at home and don't want their parents to find out. 

Your son went to RECLAIM?!? She was so helpful! I called her when I was coming to grips with all of this and, while she was full, she referred me to the therapist I'm seeing now. Absolute godsend! (and she answers e-mails like nobody's business!)
21 22 and loving life! (yuk. i hate getting old!)

•  

VeryGnawty

Quote from: Rob on January 28, 2011, 11:09:42 AM
The therapist first started off by chastizing me for telling folks that I was transgender without an official diagnoses of such.

This is exactly why I don't like "Western" medicine.  Some of its practicioners are more concerned with rules and procedures than the needs of the patient.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Robert Scott

Yup Matt ... took care of his dying grandmother this past summer

Who are you seeing?  I have prefferred one and like nobody is on it .... she recommended Kerry M. ... so that is who I am going to go see.

I have been going to the shot clinic trans support group too
  •  

LordKAT

Quote from: VeryGnawty on January 28, 2011, 01:29:17 PM
This is exactly why I don't like "Western" medicine.  Some of its practicioners are more concerned with rules and procedures than the needs of the patient.

What rule or procedure says you can't tell people what you know to be true without having someone else say that it is true?
  •  

ClaireA

Quote from: Rob on January 28, 2011, 01:30:20 PM
Yup Matt ... took care of his dying grandmother this past summer

Who are you seeing?  I have prefferred one and like nobody is on it .... she recommended Kerry M. ... so that is who I am going to go see.

I have been going to the shot clinic trans support group too
Oh wow! They've grown so much! Back when I contacted Janet, I think she was the only one there - they didn't have anywhere near what they have going now.

Anyway, Janet suggested that I go see Katie H.
Best. Therapist. Ever.
21 22 and loving life! (yuk. i hate getting old!)

•