Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Religion, A Private Affair?

Started by jamesBrine, January 11, 2007, 10:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesBrine

Dear Beth, & Others
   Above all I would like to thank you for your gracious and compassionate words towards my character. You words have greatly encouraged me as I write this post. In your post you gave four questions important questions about why I partake at Susan's. I feel that these are important questions and I will try to offer a suitable answer to each.
   You asked, "What is your connection to transgender issues other than religion?" Other connections to Susan's are that I have feelings to cross-dress as mentioned in earlier posts but not re-enforced in later posts. Ever since I was between the age of nine and thirteen I have had a curiosity and desire to wear women's clothing. The reason that brought me to Susan's in the first place was my desire to better understand my feelings/desires.
   You also asked, "Why are you posting in a transgender forum?" I briefly mentioned above that I want to better understand my feelings/desires towards women's clothing. I feel that by posting at this site I am able to better understand significant aspects of my life: sexuality and faith. This site has allowed me to understand a position of aged experience by many TG or cross-dressers and how they view God in the mix of this all.
   You asked, "why have you not expressed any views in other topics beyond spirituality and Christianity?" As you noted I predominantly post in the spirituality forum. This does not mean that I limit my reading to this topic alone. Being twenty one I have two things on my mind: faith and sexuality (and occasionally school) Often when I log onto Susan's I will read over the sexuality topic and spirituality and possible others depending on many circumstances. The reason for all my posts on spirituality is due to my comfort level in talking about spiritual issues and my lack of knowledge or confidence in other topics. Though my posts make it appears as if I only read the spiritual topic I also look over sexuality and occasionally cross-dresser talk.
   My reason for attending Susan's is to learn about two major aspects of my life at my current age: sexuality and faith. Susan's has challenged many of my views and forced me to critically think about other perspectives. For this reason I have gained much knowledge about my own journey and its path. I feel it important to continually read new posts and post some responses to reflect my views. My hope is that I will challenge other people's assumptions in life allowing them to continually grow in their journey.
   I hope that these answers have been satisfactory and have clearly showed why I do as I do. Please feel free to ask me any questions regarding my answers or thoughts.
  •  

Ricki

James,
I would like to try and add something here.  do not limit yourself to Spirituality/faith and your existing sexual/cross dress situation.
The one may be an issue your are dealt with and clearly (i am convinced due to your knowledge in the area) the religion is  a passion.  But the human body and the human mind is capable of experiencing far more things aften a lot at once!
I wish i was 21 again!  I think i never slept when i had that vigor...
But what i did do was embrace a lot of things and continue to do so, not speaking of them on the site does not mean i have other interests socially or whatever, but even at a limited age i think you'd have more to offer than just your curiosity about cross-dressing and religion.
In the scope of things we all know so very little about each other and learning is a great time for us. 
I do not know i guess there are many lessons and things in life to learn and not everything has to be tied to a religious aspect. 
One could say religion and nature go hand in hand but i do not chose to experience the outdoors in that light i chose to experience it as it is, natural, wild, unpredictable, free, dangerous, calming.. Know what i mean?
I cannot speak for others only myself but a lot of issues here and elsewhere can easily be tied into a religious aspect or conversation but they also do not have to be?  There are a lot of firm believers in this group i think but there is also a lot of past bad experiences a lot of us have lived and experienced through our given religions or those around us.   Tying the religion to a lot of it stirs up a lot of good and bad memories for some and sometimes makes the issue harder to just talk about?
Do you know what i mean?
Just my thoguhts
Peace and hugs
ricki
  •  

jamesBrine

thank you for your answer and encouragement ricki. Most appriciated.
       James
  •  

Buffy

I agree that religion should be a private affair.

I have allready stated that my own personal belief is that I do not believe in God, Spirituality or a higher being of any kind.

One of my core values is that I believe everyone has the right to believe (or not as the case may be). I respect every religion (or culture) and they are not right or wrong, just different in my own opinion.

If you find happiness, solace in your own personal faith then that is a wonderful thing and I richly applaud that.

My own personal pet hates concerned with religion are that I respect peoples right to believe, but more often than not, religious people do not respect my right to not believe.

The statement .. Religion is a Private affair, also makes my blood boil, I wish it was a private affair. How many wars, crusades, mass murders have taken place in the name of religion. How many times have people been persecuted because of their beliefs?

How can religion also be private when some of the largest landowners and richest organisations in the world religious based?

Religion can never be a private affair, it has helped shape our society and lives into what we are today and will do for many years to come perhaps eternity.

We may settle our differences in all other areas (Race, economical, uniting against killer diseases), but I doubt if we can ever reconcile our differences on religion.

Buffy

PS... Please dont think in anyway I am anti religious as I am not. I only post an alternative view in that religion has its downsides and well as it's upsides. I am sure many benefit from the religious beliefs and compassion that comes with that on a local scale, but on a global scale that is not the case in my opinion.
  •  

Ricki

thanks James!
again best wishes fully!
Interesting side note:  myself and another rmanager were talking about dept and operational budgeting and expenses and how the numbers all jive at the end of the year regardless of month to month fiasco's..
He stated anything can look good on papper.
I make the ignorant guess that this can carry on into anything in life's terms.  a map and route can look easy on paper sometimes it is; other times its very different than the real deal you may have to drive on.
I dunno just an open ended thoguht here..
gotta close on this post ........how lovely :P
Hunny sends sloppy boxer hugs to all
Ricki
  •  

kaelin

Let's see what my no so humble self can offer on this matter:

"Take for example the words of Jesus in Matthew 28:19. "19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.""

Sort of the issue with things like initiation and formalities is that they are inherently pushy, which seems to run counter to the love they are supposed to promote.  You can still make disciples out of people, but that is best done by inspiring them with the desired attitudes, not pouring water over the heads (it's just a symbolic ritual) or even necessarily expecting them to attend church (as that environment may not be best suitable for their enrichment).  But even worse, even when the message is spread, it is often done wrongly, as we've seen considerable prejudice from religious sorts -- and TGers are typically victims in this regard.  In fact, many of the people "spreading the word" (particularly higher-ups) seem to resemble sociopaths looking for personal gain, and these sorts are the most dangerous (your Falwells and Haggards).

"Earlier I stated that if Christians stopped sharing the gospel (both in word and deed) there would be a significant negative impact on society."

Education (science, philosophy, sociology, fine arts, etc) is reasonably capable of picking up the slack, as people without religion tend to pay more diligence to non-religious education.  While you are probably partial to your religion in this capacity, I believe secular education has better answers, as it has shown itself to be more responsive and methodical in obtaining its results (especially when it is free of the religious meddling seen in centuries past).

"To show the impact of what will happen I will briefly mention a few things the Salvation Army in the name of Jesus Christ and does it only because of Jesus."

There are secular organizations that are equally capable of providing charity, and they do it without promoting a religious agenda.  They'll pick up the slack if the religion ones were to disappear.

From someone else: "you say- Christians organizations caused 9/11 by voting in bush. prove to me that 9/11 happened because of bush. I don't think the talaban thought to themselves will if kerry wins we won't attack. This simply is an outrages claim until further proof is displayed."

It's a very weak connection. Bush's administration had downgraded the threat value for al Qaeda before 9/11.  Also, Bush does present a religious arrogance (he said he was God's choice for President for crying out loud) that helps fuel hatred against the United States on the basis of religion.  He didn't cause the attack as much as made us more vulnerable and by adding fuel to the fire.  CIA deserves primary blame, as they were the ones who provided Osama's organization with weapons throughout the '80s (to fight the Russians in a Cold War-related battlefront), and they also failed to give Clinton's administration the go-ahead to execute their battle plans back in the '90s.

Sort of my feeling on the original premise of the thread is that religion is not necessarily supposed to be a private or personal thing, but it should be a *personal* thing.  It is okay to gather in large groups to talk about it, but people should not be in the business of preaching at others.  People should be given the freedom to decide what is right for themselves rather than rely on the judgment of others.  We are too-well educated nowadays to look at each other as vessels to pour our beliefs into.  We should recognize the humanity of others and be willing to learn from them just as we hope they might learn from us.  Some people will have greater expertise than others, but it's necessary for even the lowest to take responsibility for their own beliefs, so that they have a foundation they can trust -- and even they are capable of compelling us to refine ideas we had taken for granted.

"This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now."
  •